Episode 33

Love Makes You Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sunday


 

Jodi woke up, but firmly refused to open her eyes. She knew the morning sun would greet her and she wasn't ready to say 'hi' yet. Her head felt like it had tripled in weight, so it took her a long time to roll over and bury her face in the pillow. She moaned in agony and pulled the covers over her head.

“Good morning, baby. Ready to get up yet?” JiYong asked, laughter clear in his voice.

“Just leave me here to die.”

He laughed as he sat down gently on the side of the bed. With some effort, he pulled the cover away from her and laid her head on his thigh. His slender fingers massaged her scalp and made her moan again, this time in relief. “You'll get no sympathy, Mrs. Kwoh. I told you repeatedly to slow down last night, but why listen to your husband? You were a mess.”

“How bad was I?” she asked, already feeling drowsy again.

“Well, after your bump and grind session with Kiko, you wrote a playlist on a napkin, then tried to pantomime song titles to the DJ.”

“That must have been fun to watch.”

“It was,” he agreed, smiling at the memory. “But where you stepped over the line was with maknae.”

Jodi looked up at her husband curiously. “What did I do to maknae?”

“Not 'to', with. You two were off at another table for a while, and when you came back, you sat on my lap and started whispering common phrases from movies in my ear. I'm going to suggest—” He said 'suggest', but it came through as a warning for Jodi. “that you don’t ever do that again.”

“Doesn't sound like I did any harm,” she countered.

“That's only because I was able to get us out of the club in a short amount of time. Otherwise, I was going to you right there in the booth and cause another scandal.”

Jodi laughed softly and covered her face again with the sheets. That was when she noticed that she was . “Ugh. No fair. I don't even remember it.” She pouted.

“You don't remember, because nothing happened. You passed out in the elevator and I don’t sleep with drunk girls,” JiYong informed her with a smile and tweaked her nose. “Sit up for a moment. I want you to take these.” Jodi glanced at the pills in his palm warily. “They're only tylenol,” he assured her. With a nod, Jodi sat up and swallowed the pills with the offered water. “Now lay back down.” She did.

“Will you lay with me, oppa?” she asked cutely. JiYong pinched her cheek, but shook his head.

“Bae-ah and I are going out to run some errands. There are a few things he wants to get for the nursery,” he explained. “The hotel manager's number is next to the phone, call him when you want breakfast. Okay?”

“Okay,” she answered sleepily.

JiYong kissed her temple and stood up. “I'll be back in a few hours. Don't get up until you're ready.”

“I have absolutely no intention to.”


 

* * * * *


 

Hours later, and after plenty of coffee with breakfast, Jodi sat at the desk in the living room talking to SooYoung. They discussed résumés and looked over the portfolios of potential photographers via Facetime.

“What about this guy?” SooYoung asked. Jodi scrolled through the résumé and shook her head. “Why not? You said you wanted someone bilingual, he is. His composition is good. His specialty is portrait photography. He’s very qualified. , you're lucky he's willing to be hired for what you plan on paying. What’s wrong with him?”

Jodi sipped her water and waved her hand dismissively. “Look at his college.”

“He went to UCLA,” SooYoung read. Then looked at Jodi with a disbelieving expression. “You must be kidding. You can’t write him off just because he went to a rival school.”

“It’s my company. I can do whatever I want.”

“Jodi!”

“Alright, fine! Call him for an interview this week. Just not on Thursday, I have to film for the show. Even better, I have a shoot on Friday, right? Have him meet me there. I want to see him in action.”

“Your wish is my command, boss lady,” her cousin responded with a sarcastic bow of her head. She checked her watch, then sighed. “It’s almost 1 o’clock. I have to get to the restaurant. Go do something with your time that doesn’t involve harassing me.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. Bye.” The two signed off, then Jodi went to the couch to lay down again. She had just gotten comfortable when there was a knock on the door. Grunting and whining on the way, Jodi checked the peephole and saw three women on the other side. One she recognized. “GeeEun-ssi?”

“Let us in, please? These cases are heavy.” Jodi stepped aside and watched as the women dragged in . . . things . . . that looked like steamer trunks. “Which way to your room?”

“At the end of the hall,” Jodi answered hesitantly and gestured. She knew the YG head stylist in a vague sense but had never talked to her, so she had no idea why the woman was in her room with . . . things. Not seeing much choice in the matter, Jodi followed behind them. As the three pushed suitcases out of the way to set up their cases, Jodi tried to look over their shoulders. “Mind if I ask what’s going on?”

“JiYong asked us to get you ready,” GeeEun answered. She opened the case wider and showed the amazing array of makeup and hair tools.

“Ready for what?”

“For something that’ll happen tonight,” the older woman responded vaguely. Jodi stopped herself from rolling her eyes. “Oh, here. He asked us to bring this up, too.”

Jodi accepted the gift wrapped box with another curious look. It wasn’t overly large, but it was heavy. She set it on the ground and tore into the paper. At first she gasped. Then she screamed. Then she danced and jumped around. She ripped the remaining paper off the box and screamed again. “Ohmigod, ohmigod! I can’t believe she bought these!”

“Who?” one of the stylists asked.

“Kiko Puffs!”

“It’s . . . knives. Who gets that excited about knives?”

Jodi looked at her with open. “You must not love to cook. Because if you did, you would know that there are knives, and then there are knives. These are knives. Kershaw-Shun knives, to be exact. The best knives—ever! Oh my god, and she got me the twenty-one piece set.” She fanned her face and combed her fingers through her hair. “I could kiss her. I want to kiss her. If she was here, I would totally kiss her.”

GeeEun laughed aloud and nodded her head. “How you feel about good knives is how a makeup artist feels about good brushes.”

“Exactly,” Jodi agreed with a nod. She looked at the box and knelt down to open it. Taking out the six inch chef knife, Jodi ran her finger down it reverently. She even kissed it and held it to her chest like a beloved child. “Can you take a picture for me?”

The stylist closest to her accepted Jodi's camera and held it up. Jodi got into a fighting stance with a knife in each hand.


 

OhJoFoTo: @i_am_kiko Girl, I can’t wait to have you for dinner ;-)


 

* * * * *


 

Jodi sat as still as possible while her hair was coiffed and her face was being made up. It was 4:30p.m., and she was tired of sitting in the chair clueless. “Sure you can’t give me even a tiny hint? He knows I hate surprises.”

“I won’t tell you anything, stop asking,” GeeEun told her with a soft smile.

“You’re just as cruel as he is,” she grumbled. “Out of curiosity, what am I wearing?”

“It’ll be here soon. Just stay still so we can finish you up.” Jodi pouted, but stopped moving. Not long after the hairstylist added the final sweep to her hair, there was a knock on the door to her bedroom. GeeEun got up to get it. A disembodied hand reached out to give the stylist a garment bag, followed by two boxes. She set each item on the bed and nodded her approval. “Okay, you can come look now.”

Jodi hopped out of the seat and went to stand beside the stylist. As she lifted the dress out of the garment bag, dropped open. Versace. A gorgeous red, Versace gown. She held it against her body, looked down and smiled. Setting it down carefully and opened the bigger box to find shoes. But not just any shoes, of course. Incredibly y Versace Medusa mules. In the other box was a simple black clutch to round out the look. “I am terrified to know how much this cost.”

GeeEun scoffed and laughed. “You really don’t know who your husband is, do you? Designers throw clothes at him. Once he gets seen wearing them, people run out to buy them. It’s considered an investment.”

Jodi looked at the beautiful clothing in front of her and rubbed her hands together. “I’m sure the polite thing to do would be to refuse but . . . “

“You can’t wait to put it on.”

“Not another second.”


 

* * * * *


 

After taking a deep breath, Jodi stepped out of the room fully dressed. In the living room, she saw JiYong sitting on the couch, deep in conversation with YoungBae and SeungHyun. GeeEun cleared and all the men looked in her direction. Catching sight of Jodi, they stood and stared. JiYong, looking splendid in a black tuxedo, walked towards her and stopped a few steps away.

“Turn around for me,” he ordered softly. Jodi spun slowly. When her back was to him, he stopped her by resting his hands on the flair of her hips. JiYong trailed his hands lightly up her back to her shoulders, then she felt a cold weight settle on her neck. JiYong fastened the necklace and kissed her quickly on the back of her neck. “Don’t get too excited, they’re on loan.”

“I will be extra, super careful,” she promised. Jodi fidgeted with the diamonds on her neck and gazed at them in awe. “Wow. It’s beautiful.”

He turned her around the rest of the way and looked her up and down. “Not nearly as beautiful as you, and I mean that sincerely.”

“Thank you,” she mumbled shyly, smoothing the dress at her hips nervously. “So, where are we headed?” JiYong shook his head and smiled. Jodi poked her lip out and frowned. “Please?”

“Nope. It’s a surprise.” Jodi opened and he said with her, “'I hate surprises.'” He grabbed her hands and pulled her close. “You’ll like this one. I promise.” JiYong leaned into kiss her, but found a hand blocking his path. GeeEun’s hand.

“You will not mess up my hard work. Keep your lips to yourself.”


 

* * * * *


 

A highly polished, black Rolls Royce Phantom waited for them outside of the hotel. The uniform clad chauffeur bowed politely and opened the door for the couple. JiYong made sure that Jodi was in safely before sliding in himself. He held her hand, then sweetly kissed her palm.

“You look stunning,” he praised. Jodi smiled shyly and dropped her chin. As the car began to move, he noticed how her eyes wandered around the black leather interior and privacy glass. “Something wrong?”

“I feel like a bumpkin. I've never been in a car like this before,” she admitted. “I can see what all the fuss is about.” Jodi turned in the seat then to look at him more directly. “I don’t know what else you have planned for the night, but knowing you, it will be grandiose. So instead of my saying it over and over again, I’ll say it now. Thank you for a wonderful evening.”

His ears turned red with embarrassment instantly. JiYong cupped her cheek and pecked her sweetly on her very red lips. “Anything for you.”

“Anything?” Jodi asked with a mischievous smile. JiYong flicked her forehead.

“No, I will not tell you where we’re going.”

“You .”


 

* * * * *


 

The couple held hands and talked while they were driven into Tokyo. When the luxurious automobile came to a stop, the chauffeur held the doors open and Jodi was greeted with the sight of—

“A metro station?” she asked in much confusion. She looked down at her dress and frowned. “Aren’t we a little overdressed for this?”

“Not at all,” he assured her. Taking her hand, he tugged Jodi to get her to follow him inside. Down the stairs and deeper into the building, they stopped eventually in front of an unassuming restaurant. JiYong spoke to the hostess and they were seated immediately. Like the gentleman he was, JiYong held her chair and waited for her to get settled before seating himself. A staff member handed them menus, bowed and walked away. Jodi glanced at the cover briefly, flipped it open . . . then flipped back.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” she whispered in disbelief. Jodi looked up at her husband and he smiled brightly. “This is . . . this is Sukiyabashi Jiro.”

“Yes.”

“Sushi Jiro.”

“Yes, it is.”

Jodi leaned back and covered . “I’ve heard of this place, Ji. It’s the best sushi restaurant in the world.”

“I know.”

“It's incredibly expensive.”

“I know,” he responded with a shrug.

“There’s a month long waiting list. How on earth did you get us in?” she asked in a hushed tone.

“Luck, good timing, and a little begging as well,” he replied. “SeungHyun-hyung had this reservation already set. He transferred it to me—for a price.”

“What was the price?”

“I have to pay shipping for some chair from Switzerland.” JiYong waved his hand, indicating that it was not big deal. “I also had to repeat a few statements about how much more fashionable, talented and handsome he is than me. Hyung is a jerk.”
“You love him,” Jodi countered. Her husband smiled widely.

“I do,” he agreed.

“I do too.”

“Shut up.”


 

* * * * *


 

Full to near bursting, Jodi held onto her husband's arm as they ascended to the street. The waiting driver held the door open for them and Jodi sat down heavily. She leaned her head back against the supple leather and let out a satisfied sigh. “That w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter