Episode 4

Love Makes You Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With so little time left in the show after the introductions were made, the only part that aired of JiYong and Jodi's first meeting was up until he went to get the coffee. Jodi assumed it was on purpose, really, since what followed wasn't pretty. Footage from the honeymoon would be shown the next night.

After that, the MC's asked them the questions that were on the minds of everyone on the set; Why were they holding hands? Did they really just meet? If so, how come they seem so close?

“I like holding my wife's hand,” JiYong explained simply, rubbing his thumb against the back of her hand for the world to see.

“Yes, we met on Thursday for the first time,” she answered.

“We've decided to take this marriage thing and run with it. We . . . like . . . each other. We share interests, we have things that we can do together. We aren't dating, but you will probably see us together a lot.”

Now, why did he go and say that?, Jodi thought to herself as she cringed internally. Saying that we aren't dating might as well be a flashing red sign saying 'Oh my God! Look at us! We Are Sooooo Dating!!'

When the filming wrapped and the couples retreated back to the green room, JiYong checked his phone. Not surprisingly, there were several texts from his friends wondering what the hell he was doing. Also, not surprisingly, he and Jodi were trending on Naver, twitter and several other internet portals.

“Anybody hungry?” he asked to the room at large. The other couples looked at each other, and at him, nodding shyly. “Come on. Dinner's on me,” he offered.

At a restaurant close by, the new couples of We Got Married shared their first meal. With JiYong's repeated insistence, the others dropped some of the formality with him and it was a much more comfortable atmosphere for it. The younger idols politely asked him questions in hopes that his genius and awesomeness would rub off on them. JiYong sat with Jodi by his side, his hand wrapped around hers when it wasn't too busy with chopsticks.

“Do you have twitter?” he asked her.

“Yep. I'm Jodi @ohjofoto Same on instagram, but I don't use it much. I post the odd picture and tell where my work can be seen,” she explained between bites. Her phone played a familiar tune, 'My Girl' by Rain, loudly enough that the whole table turned in her direction. She silenced the phone and rubbed her forehead before answering. She greeted the caller, and was greeted back with loud, guffawing laughter. Jodi rolled her eyes and pulled the phone away from her ear. JiYong could hear the laughter, too. “You can stop laughing anytime you're ready.” JiYong heard a deep breath, and then another round of raucous laughter. With an unamused look, Jodi excused herself from the table.

Jodi was smiling when she came back in and looking at down at her phone. JiYong thought she looked pretty, so he called her name to get her attention and snapped a picture.

 

IBGRGN is now following JODI @ ohjofoto

My beautiful wife Jodi pic.twitter.com/0jba9842n

 

“What did you just do?” Jodi asked him as her phone started going crazy. She looked at the alerts and before her eyes, she went from thirty thousand followers on twitter to eighty thousand. “Huh. Well, I'll be.”

As dinner came to an end, the couples talked a little more then went their separate ways. MinJung and JiYong gave Jodi a ride back to the MBC building in the van. JiYong walked with her to her Audi Q7, holding tightly to her hand as he followed behind.

“So, dinner tomorrow?” she asked as she turned to face him. They were standing between cars and very close together.

“Yeah. It's at 7 pm. Do you want me to pick you up?”

“Sure. I'll text you my address.” And then it went quiet. “Alright, well, goodnight.”

“Goodnight.”

“You have to let go of my hand so I can get in the car, Ji,” she said with a smile.

JiYong blushed and kissed the back of her hand. He didn't want to let go. Again he felt it, the desire to kiss her. The intimacy of their position made it even harder to fight the urge. Instead of letting go, like he knew he aught to do, he tugged her hand and drew her in for a hug. Like the night before, Jodi fit nicely under his chin and in his arms. The sound of someone unlocking their car doors a few spaces away caused them to break apart.

He opened the car door for her and waited until she was all strapped in to close the door. Stepping back, he waited for her to pull off and waved at her tail lights. Getting back in the van, MinJung stared at him intently.

“What is it, hyung?” JiYong asked when the silence stretched long enough to become uncomfortable.

“I'm saying this because I care about you. I need you to keep in mind that this isn't real. These circumstances aren't real. This show isn't real. She isn't a pretty girl you met on the street. I'm glad that you like her enough to want to be friends with her, but please keep your perspective. Keep in mind, that she joined this show for publicity.”

“I know that, hyung.”

“Just making sure.”

 

* * * * *

 

“Are you sure I'm in the right place?” JiYong asked as he looked around. He drove around an area along the Han that was full of warehouses and factories. Some empty, some not.

“If you've been following my directions, then yes. Just keep going straight and come through the gate when see the 'Oh Studios' sign.”

“You weren't kidding when you said you lived far out. Where am I?”

“HyangSan-ri, Gimpo, South Korea. Asia. Northern hemisphere, and also east. Planet earth. Milky Way Galaxy, and so on,” she explained patiently. “All you have to do is follow 88 past the airport. It's not that bad.”

JiYong rolled his eyes as he kept driving. “Okay, I think I'm here.” He pulled through the six foot, chain-link gate, down a short, paved strip and parked next to the large, three-story, brick building. This can't be right, he thought.

“A Lamborghini? How inconspicuous,” Jodi joked as she stepped out the doors. Her outfit for the evening was casual. More black, he noticed. “Come on in. I'll give you a tour since you're early. Welcome to Oh Studios.”

Jodi walked him through the doors to the front office and waiting area, explaining along the way that the building used to be a shoe factory. She pointed out areas that had been renovated and patched up because it had sat empty for so long. Then, she took him into the studio area. It was a wide open space with an area for dressing and makeup to the left. All the equipment was set up around a platformed bed, just waiting for a subject.

Walking back out of the offices, she locked the doors behind her and turned towards the stairs leading to the second floor.

“What's that?” JiYong asked, pointing in the opposite direction.

“A cargo elevator.”

“Why don't we take the elevator?”

“I don't like elevators,” she answered as she walked up the stairs. JiYong followed and noticed that the stairs continued upwards.

“What's on the third floor?”

“The third floor is half the size of the first two, so I use it for my art studio.” Punching in a code on the keypad, Jodi opened the door to her home and waved JiYong inside.

“Wow. Cool space,” he commented as he looked around. And then he screamed like a girl. JiYong took three or four quick steps back and ran into Jodi.

“Ebah!” Jodi yelled. The large, white dog ran and hid behind the couch, peeking at JiYong suspiciously. “Oh, come here, baby. He didn't mean to scare you.”

“I didn't mean to scare her? What about her scaring me?”

“Hush,” she directed at JiYong. Then to the frightened dog, she knelt and cooed, “Come on, honey. I'm sorry. I should have told him about you.”

“Are you really apologizing to the dog?”

“Yes.” Jodi kept her voice soft and soothing as she coaxed the dog out of hiding. She moved closer with her hand out stretched. The dog came out slowly, head down, ears back to sniff her hand. Jodi the dog's ears and pulled her gently closer to her. “Come down and say hi, Ji.”

JiYong did as bade and knelt by her side. The dog continued to look at him suspiciously, but butted her head against his knee, ready to accept his affection. JiYong ran his fingers through her soft fur and smiled when she flopped onto her back for a belly rub. “She's beautiful. Is she a Jindo?”

“That she is. JiYong, this is Ebah Oh. She's the newest addition to the clan.”

Still rubbing her belly, JiYong asked, “Your dog's name is 'Hey'?”

Jodi shrugged and scratched the dog under the chin. “It's what she responds to.”

“Where did you get her?”

“I found her along the river while I was out running. She would follow me and stare, but never came close. I fed her for weeks before she let me touch her. I would leave the front hall door cracked so she could come inside when she was ready. She finally decided it was safe.” Jodi stood and walked towards the kitchen. “Want something to drink?”

“Water's good,” JiYong called back, still the super soft fur. When he stood to get a better look around the apartment, Ebah followed close at his heels. JiYong stepped over a few boxes to get a better look at the few pictures hung the wall. He swept his eyes over them curiously and asked Jodi, “Is this your family?”

“A portion of it, yes. I don't really want to take those last ones down, but . . .,” she trailed off as she handed him a bottle of water.

“Why would you take them down?”

“You didn't hear? They wanted to do the village idea again for WGM, all of us 'living' in an apartment complex together, but something fell through. The APD, Kim AhJong, asked if they could film here. I'm okay with it. I agreed to be on this show, but my family isn't part of it. I don't want their pictures spread all over the internet. Especially my brothers.”

JiYong nodded in understanding. Moving his eyes back the wall, he pointed to the largest picture. It was a man, very handsome, looking at the camera with a bright smile. “Who's that?”

Jodi looked to where he was pointing and her smile fell a little. “That's my appa. Oh ManWook.”

Gently, JiYong said, “In the van, you said he was a cop. Is he . . .”

Jodi nodded. “He passed away just before the twins were born.”

“I'm sorry.” JiYong rubbed her back in sympathy. Jodi smiled at him sadly to let him know that she appreciated the thought. JiYong pointed to another picture to break the mood. “You didn't tell me they were twins. They're adorable. How old are they?”

“They turned five in November,” she answered with a proud smile that then turned into a cute pout. “My babies just started school. I'm still not ready.”

JiYong smiled at Jodi and pinched her cheek. Ebah, not to be left out of affection being passed out, leaned against his leg to get his attention. JiYong reached down and scratched her between the ears. His gaze moved to a picture of a pretty Korean girl just below the twins. She was looking at the camera with obvious attitude. Her bangs and one strip to the right were dyed electric blue, the rest of her elbow length hair was black. She had deep dimples on each cheek that were visible, even though she wasn't smiling. “This is. . . ?”

“Baek SooYoung. She's my everything.”

“Hey, I'm your husband. I'm supposed to be your everything.” JiYong put his hand over his heart and did his best to look heart broken.

“She's my everything else, then,” Jodi amended. “Personal assistant, photography assistant, conscience, lackey, critic, heckler, and cousin.”

“She's your cousin?”

Jodi pointed to a set of three pictures near the top of the wall. “Those three? Those are my mothers. First is Sophia Greer, she's my birth mother. We aren't very close, but we stay in contact.” The woman in the picture did look very much like Jodi, just an older and slightly darker version. “Next is my eomonim, Baek YooJin. Her brother is SooYoung's dad.” A proud looking Korean woman, to be sure. She didn't smile in the picture, but she did have one brow raised. “Last is Mrs. Verda Brown from Shongaloo, Louisiana. She taught me how to be black,” Jodi finished with a laugh. The woman in the picture wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter