Episode 5

Love Makes You Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Maybe, it was how loudly the door to her left opened that snagged her attention. Or, it could be blamed on the 'spidey senses' she had developed while looking after the twins. But either way, despite how involved she was with her conversation with ChaeLin, she knew when to take two steps back. And right on time, too, because a small herd of giggling children cut in front of her on their way to the kitchen. Downside, she heard a yelp and a gasp behind her. Turning quickly, she saw Luna's tight facial expression.

“Oh. Oh, crap. I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry,” Jodi moaned in horror as she watched a strip of Luna's pretty teal dress darken as her wine soaked into it.

“No harm done,” Luna assured her as she waved off the apology. “No harm done. You've just reminded me of why I only drink white wine.”

“But still, your dress . . .” Jodi gestured to the wet stain on it and cringed.

“Honestly, it's fine. I picked this up at a street market for 20,000₩. It just needs a good rinse.” Luna mumbled her thanks to ChaeLin for grabbing her a handful of napkins. She dabbed at the dress a few times, then gave up with a shrug. “Come up and help me pick out another?”

Jodi followed Luna up the stairs and into her bedroom. Luna pointed to the closet door and went into the bathroom to clean up. Jodi looked around and noted the complete contrast of this room from the others she had seen. The downstairs was decorated in earthy tones, this room only boasted red, black and white as it's color scheme. Her eyes were drawn to a series of red framed pictures on the walls. They appeared to be close-ups of body parts. A jawline, a hip, a back, a large cross tattoo, a hand and so on.

“Who took these pictures?” she asked loudly enough for Luna to hear once the water stopped running. Luna came out of the bathroom in a robe and stood by Jodi's side. She smiled as she looked at the pictures and blushed a little.

“Bae and I took those of each other one morning.”

“They're very nice. They're intimate. y, and still classy.”

“Thanks.” Luna pointed to a set of chairs by a window. “Have a seat, I'll be out in a minute.”

Not sure what to do with herself, Jodi checked her phone to see that she now had forty thousand more twitter followers. Okay, then, she said to herself. She was in the middle of a text to SooYoung when Luna came out holding a purple dress in one hand, and a navy blue one in the other. Jodi pointed to the purple. Luna changed quickly and walked out again. She twirled for Jodi and Jodi gave her a thumbs up.

Luna sat down next to Jodi, took a deep breath and slapped her hands on her thighs. “So. This is usually the part of the evening where I give whatever girl JiYong has foisted on us a strongly worded speech riddled with thinly veiled threats.”

“Oh. Am I about to get it?” Jodi asked in concern.

“Nah. You get a different speech. I feel like I can talk to you differently,” Luna told her with a laugh. She combed her fingers through her hair and her face turned serious. “JiYong . . . I worry about him, you know? He's so driven and ambitious. I'm not sure how much you know about him, but keep this timeline in your head.

“February of 2012, BIGBANG's 'Alive' album came out. Then, the 'Alive' tour starts in March. That was forty-eight shows in twelve countries. He released the 'One of a Kind' album in September, and promoted that while already on tour with BIGBANG. And by 'promoting' I mean, him running the music show circuit, filming for hours on end, interview after interview with the same tedious questions, no real sleep, bad food and smiling the entire time. So then, the 'Alive' tour wraps in January 2013, he preps and starts the 'One of a Kind' tour in March. That tour lasted until September. A sane person would slow down, but he is obviously not sane, because he then released the 'Coup D'etat' album a few days after the tour ended and promoted for that. And then, does he stop? No. BIGBANG does a dome tour in Japan in December, then a few shows in Seoul last month.” Luna let out a deep breath after this recitation and sat back in her chair. “Can you see why I worry about him? I'm tired just talking about it. I am so glad that he's taking this time off.”

Jodi nodded thoughtfully but stayed quiet. She knew Luna was getting to something, she'd just have to wait to find out what that was.

“Do you mind if I ask you why you joined the show?” Luna asked Jodi.

“Shameless self promotion,” Jodi answered so quickly that Luna had to laugh. “Seriously. My photography business is still pretty new. I thought this would be a good way to get the word out about me. I wanted to promote myself and my business.”

“That, I can understand. That, I can respect.” Luna got quiet again as she bit her nail. “Can I ask you for a favor? Woman to woman?” Jodi nodded. “Promote yourself to your hearts content, but don't use him. Don't throw his name around, don't trade on him name, and don't expose him.

“Ji's a generous guy. He will give you the shirt off his back and the shoes on his feet if you need it. People take advantage of that. There are people in his circle who abuse his generosity. Some he won't cut off, and some he can't. He has a lot and he feels. . . guilty? if he doesn't give when asked. He gives and gives, and people take and take.

“And even with this show, it's more of him giving. Ji tweets and posts instagram pictures, giving fans more and more access to him. He keeps very little for himself. Just . . . Your intentions seem good. And since this show is already in progress, I can't give you the scary speech and run you off. All I can do, is ask you to be mindful of his privacy, and respectful of the fact that celebrity aside, he's still human.”

“I can do that,” Jodi affirmed.

“No. That was too quick of an answer,” Luna countered. “You are getting an unprecedented level of access to him. People are going to come out of the woodwork to ask you about him. If you opt to do any interviews, four out of ten questions will be G-Dragon related, because G-Dragon equals ratings. I'm asking you, to not talk about him in a cavalier manner. For all the people in his social circle, very few ever get to know Kwon JiYong. He doesn't trust easily, and for good reason. It takes him a long time to really let someone in.”

“Not to be argumentative, but he's let you in and you haven't known him that long,” Jodi stated.

“Ah. But you see, I am one of the rare creatures that neither wants, nor needs, anything from him. I'm wealthy in my own right. I'm very much in love with a wonderful man. I own this house, I like my car and my job has nothing to do with his. There is nothing JiYong can give me except his friendship and fashion advice. Whereas with you, your profile will be raised because it's connected to his now. Every time you talk about him, tweet about him, are seen with him, it benefits you. It's to your advantage to talk about him, tweet about him and be seen with him. You see where the potential conflict of interest lies?”

Luna spoke forcefully, but Jodi took no offense. Everything that Luna said was right and well intentioned. JiYong, public figure though he may be, was still a man deserving of respect and privacy. Jodi could see the temptation for people to blab about his habits and foibles. Some newly revealed fact. Comments like that would be quoted and tweeted and re-tweeted for the world to see, even if it was something he didn't want known.

“I get it,” Jodi said slowly. “I understand. The truth is, I have quite a few celebrity friends and the reason that they are my friends, is because I don't name drop. I don't talk. Worry not. His secrets will be safe with me.”

“Thank you,” Luna said with a smile and a sigh of relief. She slapped her hands on her thighs again, signaling the end of her spiel. Jodi walked behind her to the doors. Luna stopped and turned to face her. “Oh, yeah. One last thing. And this is where the speeches all sound the same. If you tell him I told you about any of this, I will deny every word. And if you hurt him, I will break your life.”

After a moment of stunned silence, Jodi nodded. “Fair enough.”

 

* * * * *

 

Jodi stopped in the bathroom after her chat with Luna. Standing at the top of the stairs after, she took a moment to observe the goings on below. From her vantage point, she could see YoungBae rubbing Luna's neck absently while he held conversation. She could see JiYong laughing while being chased around by Stacy and SeungRi. They had their phones out and napkins over their faces while they called him 'oppa'. Teddy, who she had been introduced to earlier, was leaned against a wall chewing gum and texting. ChaeLin talked to, and laughed with, a woman in amazingly tall heels and another woman with a bobbed haircut. Nothing exciting was happening. Just small groups of people enjoying each others company. Most, if not all, she had been introduced to, but whose names she had forgotten already. DaeSung, though, held her attention.

He sat in a chair by the door with a gentle smile on his face. It didn't reach his eyes and he wasn't actively doing anything. That led Jodi to believe he was doing it out of habit. He watched the crowd like Jodi did, as an observer. In it, but not of it. Interesting.

A little girl ran out of the 'man cave' and tugged on Luna's leg. She held her hand out to display something that made YoungBae scream.

 

* * * * *

 

“Oh, no! Where did you find that?!” YoungBae screamed. He had his hands in fists on his forehead as he stared at the ring in horror.

“HaRang was jumping on the couch even though he wasn't supposed to and the pillow fell and he saw the box and then he opened it and he thought it was pretty but for a girl so he gave it to me. Can I keep it?” Haru said in one breath.

Luna took the ring gently from Haru's hand and turned to look at YoungBae. He bent over with his hands on his knees and took a few deep breaths. All eyes were on him.

“I forgot to move the ring. I planned on giving it to DaeSung after the party to hold until I could get everything in order,” he explained. “I wasn't going to ask you yet. I was going to take you back down to Jeju this summer and propose on Sunrise Peak.”

“So, I should just pretend like I never saw this?” Luna asked.

“ . . . Yes?” he said slowly. He rubbed his hands over his face and sighed. “I wanted the proposal to be perfect. I can finally do all the grand, romantic gestures without fear of us getting caught. I wanted to finally do something big for you.”

Luna tilted her head to the side and looked at him. “Since when have I ever been one for grand gestures?”

“That's true. Should I ask you now? Or do you want to wait until—”

“Oh, for God's sake. This is the least romantic proposal I have ever heard of! Just ask her! She's already seen the ring!” Stacy shouted in exasperation.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter