Episode 10

Love Makes You Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jodi stood in the kitchen serving breakfast to the boys and SooYoung. She had, had a headache when she woke up, and it hadn't gone away just yet. In her red silk, kimono-style robe, she handed out plates and asked the boys about the progress of their soccer team. JinShil had consented to join the team 'for the exercise'.

“We're really good, noona! You're gonna like seeing us play,” JeongUi assured her. Jodi nodded along and made the odd encouraging sound, but spoke little. She let them carry the mornings' conversation.

JiYong came out of 'his' room looking very handsome in a black dress shirt and charcoal slacks while talking on the phone. As soon as the call ended, he began texting. Without looking up, he made his way over to Jodi and kissed her absently on the cheek. He then took the coffee cup from her hand, drained it, and gave it back to her.

“That was mine, you know.”

“We're married. What's yours is mine, and what's mine is also mine.” JiYong winked at her and moved away fast enough that her swat missed him. He kissed each of the boys on the head, then stole a piece of bacon from SooYoung's plate before sitting down next to her.

“Good morning. Please. Help yourself,” SooYoung said with obvious sarcasm. JiYong never looked up from his phone. “And don't you have a home that you can sleep in? I'm sick of sleeping on the couch. It's uncomfortable.”

“I slept on it just fine,” JiYong said with a private smile. The night he spent on that couch with Jodi was one of the best nights of sleep he had, had in a while.

“Why are you complaining?” Jodi asked her cousin as she refilled her coffee. “You usually sleep with me anyway.”

“Shhhhh! You can't tell him that. If he doesn't go home, he can start claiming squatters rights. You'll never be rid of him then.” SooYoung rolled her eyes and shook her head.

“You guys like having me around, right?” JiYong directed to the twins. JeongUi cheered and clapped his hands. JinShil gave a noncommittal shrug.

“Do you want breakfast?” Jodi asked JiYong, hoping to distract him from potential hurt feelings.

“I'm going to head over to Bae and Luna's. We've got some things to finish before the party tonight. Including, picking her halmoni up from the airport very soon.” He frowned at his phone, not looking up. “Do you have your dress ready?”

“Yes, I do.”

“You tried on the shoes, right? Are you going to be comfortable in them all night?”

“I'm sure that I will.”

“And you know what time your appointment is at the salon?”

“Yes, Kwon Leader-nim! I am prepared, and I will be ready to go when you come tonight to pick me up for this evenings affair.”

JiYong smiled shyly and rubbed his nose. “I'm sorry. I know you can be forgetful, and I want to make sure tonight goes smoothly.”

Jodi leaned forward on the counter, giving JiYong an accidental glimpse of her cleavage. “I understand, but I promise you, I got this. I will be a shining example of the trophy wife you would have chosen anyway.” JiYong poked her in the forehead.

For SooYoung, it was too early to stomach their flirting. “Come on, boys. We all need to go learn something productive today.” The twins jumped down from their seats and ran around to give Jodi hugs. At the door, JiYong helped them tie their shoes and zip their coats. He ruffled their hair affectionately, including SooYoung's, and closed the door behind them. With that done, he walked back over to Jodi.

He watched her moving around and noticed that she was slower than usual, she wasn't dancing, and there was no music on. JiYong touched her forehead and looked at her in concern. “Are you feeling okay?” He asked her.

“I'm fine. I just woke up with a headache. What a terrible way to start the day,” she joked with a weak smile. JiYong continued to look at her closely. “I'm fine. Really. I drank a lot of water, and I took some pills. I'll be fine in a little bit.”

“Are you positive?”

“Yes, Kwon Leader-nim!”

JiYong rolled his eyes and pulled her in for a hug. “I like it better when you call me oppa.”

“Yes, oppa. I will be ready, and cheerful, and beautiful when you see me again.”

“You're beautiful all the time.” JiYong dropped his hands to her hips and rested his forehead against hers. The feel of the silk over her warm skin made him unconsciously start rubbing in circles.

Jodi her lips. She placed her hands on his chest and moved them upwards, slowly, until they came to rest on his shoulder. “You should get going,” she told him, but made no move to back up, nor did she move to push him away.

“I should,” JiYong agreed softly. With a resolute shake of his head, he kissed her forehead and stepped away. “I'll see you tonight.”

 

* * * * *

 

Jodi walked into the ballroom of the Ibis Ambassador Hotel on the arm of her very, very handsome husband. It wasn't that she ever thought him unattractive, but seeing him walk into her house, in a conservative suit('It's not my night.'), with a rose in hand, made her stomach flutter. He told her repeatedly that she looked beautiful and even opened the door for her himself as they entered the awaiting limousine.

There were two videographers to commemorate the event, while no paparazzi were allowed inside. There were plenty outside, though. As they walked the figurative red carpet, he held her hand securely, and kept his other hand on the small of her back. The two stopped to smile and pose for the cameras every few feet. In the lobby, Jodi noticed the plethora of enormous flower wreathes with messages of love and congratulations from fans and friends alike. With a nod to security, JiYong bypassed the line of people getting their invitations scanned for authenticity. And there were a few fakes, the sneaks.

The ballroom itself was lovely. YoungBae and Luna had kept with the 'Sun and Moon' concept by having subtle and tasteful decorations in the orange, blue and creme color scheme. In the front of the room was a dais and table so that Luna and YoungBae could be seen better by the crowd. JiYong found their names on the seating chart and started moving in that direction. Along the way, they stopped at a few tables. Like, the one with Park JinYoung, Yang HyunSuk, Sean, and their respective wives. He laughingly introduced Jodi to one and all as his wife. He smiled and joked on the way to their round table. He pulled the chair out for her, and rubbed her shoulders gently before sitting beside her. JiYong looked and played the part of a perfect gentleman.

But something was up. Jodi just knew it in her bones. She had come to know JiYong pretty well, she thought, and his energy was off. He seemed tense, and had seemed that way since the day he 'timed out' at her house. Not consistently, not obviously, but Jodi picked up on it. She watched him, and his smile was too bright, his level of try hard was too high. He wasn't really JiYong at that moment, he was G-dragon.

“Capo! Buonasera!” SeungRi walked up to the table and tried to kiss JiYong's cheeks. Tried, because JiYong ducked away and hit him.

“I would really like you to be Korean again. Be Lee SeungHyun, Prince of Gwangju for me, at least for tonight. Please.”

“Amen,” Stacy mumbled from behind her boyfriend. Stacy took her assigned seat and turned her back on her boyfriend. She waved to a passing waiter and snagged three glasses of champagne. She slid one in Jodi's direction but left the others in front of her. “Or at least be Japanese, I can handle that.”

“I can't,” said a deep voice from behind Jodi. She turned around to see where the heavenly sound was coming from, and came face to face with the proof that God's love is a real thing. Jodi moaned. SeungHyun smiled at her, and made her whimper. Stacy cackled. JiYong was scandalized by the whole thing. “JiYong-ah, move down a seat.”

“Wae?”

“So I can sit by your lovely wife,” SeungHyun said, never taking his charming gaze from Jodi's.

JiYong sat back in the chair and crossed his arms. He would not move. So Jodi stood and moved her chair to JiYong's left side. Stacy pushed SeungRi out of his seat and slid over one to make room for SeungHyun between them. She patted the cushion and smiled at him beatifically. SeungHyun took the offered seat and pointedly ignored the glares coming from SeungRi and JiYong. He stretched his long arms across the back of their chairs and grinned.

“So, ladies. Tell oppa what you like most about him . . .”

 

* * * * *

 

JiYong was disgusted. For the last ten minutes, he had to listen to his wife and Stacy wax poetic about all the reasons why Choi SeungHyun is a perfect example of Korean manliness and perfection. They complimented his face, his dimples, the thickness of his eyebrows, his elegant hands, his impressive height, and professed that no man had ever looked better in a suit than he. JiYong looked down at his own suit, a very well cut Tom Ford suit, and suddenly found it lacking. Jodi kept asking SeungHyun to say her name, alleging that it had never sounded better, or come from better lips than his. Maknae faired no better on Stacy's other side. He drank his champagne and eyed the scene with his nose turned up. The two men looked at each other across the distance with equals looks of dissatisfaction.

“Yah, hyung, can I have my date back now?” SeungRi groaned.

“Yah, maknae, you should share with your hyung. You know I came alone.”

“But you don't have to leave that way,” Stacy popped out. SeungRi set his glass down hard and grabbed Stacy's hand.

“We need to mingle. Now.”

JiYong sipped his champagne and chuckled into his glass. He looked out at the crowd, only keeping half an ear on his wife. The conversation between them had veered into talk of art. Considering that safe enough, he excused himself to go find the happy couple. Not that either of them noticed.

He had seen them on the way in. Both of them were working the room, visiting each table and thanking everyone for coming. YoungBae had his 'I am losing my patience' look on as he stood talking to a table filled with his mother, father, brother, pastor and a few other people JiYong didn't recognize. He touched YoungBae gently on the back to get his attention, and upon seeing his best friend, YoungBae's face split into a wide smile and threw his arms around JiYong. In a low voice, he mumbled, 'Save me.'

“Hey . . . they need you two . . . in the kitchen!” JiYong finished triumphantly. Luna looked at him and winked.

“Oh, no. I hope there's nothing wrong with . . . the chicken. Great talking to you, Uncle SeungNam!” Before anyone could say anything, YoungBae grabbed both Luna and JiYong by the wrists and let them to the kitchen. Once safely behind the swinging doors, he covered his face and moaned. “I really want this night to be over.”

“Thanks for the assist, Ji.” Luna kissed him on the cheek before going to comfort her m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter