27%

Metal

Sehun has trouble sleeping that night. It's something about the atmosphere. Too quiet, or too dark. But no, that's not it, those things were normal. It's windy outside and a tree branch keeps tapping against the window glass. It bothers him more than it should, and he has the right mind to pull his blankets back in one swift motion, walk over there, and snap that branch in half. A fatigued Sehun equals a highly irritable Sehun.

The light thumping against his window soon becomes like a sort of background music. Eventually, he drifts off...only to awaken a couple hours later with a suffocating feeling.

He's a little more than shocked. His health has never been this bad in the recent years, and these attacks have rarely occurred since he was very young. He struggles to gasp for air and tries to regulate his breathing. Realizing it's to no use, he throws back his covers and sits up. Immediately, the breathing seems to worsen with his shift in position. He brings his hand up to his chest and clutches his shirt, taking more rugged breaths. His foot hits the floor with a thump and he barely makes it to the table where the medicine box now resides. It's closer than before, but admittedly not close enough. He falls on his knees right when his hand reaches the edge of the table. He thinks he's unable to stand up, and his vision is becoming more blurry....

 

 

 

Tao awakens with a start, sitting up instantly. He'd heard a thump again. It's only natural to assume that it was the young master again, correct? He begins to analyze.

No sound can be heard at the moment. The noise had inevitably come from across the hall.

He shakes his head.

There's no doubt it's Sehun again.

He runs to the door as silently as he can and quickly enters Sehun's room. He ought to be the boy's medical aid rather than his bodyguard, he thinks, though it's a cruel joke in the heat of the moment. He's a regrettably impulsive thinker. He finds Sehun on his knees, bent over in a hunched position. Even from here, he can hear his sharp intakes of air. He rushes over and grabs the medicine box, setting it on the ground and flipping through its contents for the inhaler. He practically shoves it at the other boy. He watches Sehun fumble with the cap and its parts before finally bringing it up to his mouth. 

Sehun collapses onto his side once he's finished with the medicine, taking in as much oxygen as he can. Tao stares at him, waiting for some sort of reaction.

"My God, Sehun are you okay?" He puts a hand on Sehun's shoulder and hears a dark laugh.

"I'm...pathetic...aren't I?" Sehun says between breathes. He coughs. "Pathetic inhaler...deteriorating health.... Pathetic." He spits out the word. Shadows cover his eyes, but Tao can see his lips curl into a cold smile.

"Shut up, Sehun." He takes his arm and, dragging him up to a sitting position, pulls Sehun towards him and hugs him. He feels Sehun stiffen in his arms. "You're not pathetic. You're going to be fine. Your health is going to get better, and you're going to stop wallowing in self-pity."

"You wouldn't say that...if you knew why this stuff happens." His breathing is more even now. 

Tao looks down at him. "What is it?"

Sehun covers his face with his hands. He mumbles something incoherent and Tao leans down to hear it. "Come again?"

"Allergies." The word is muffled by Sehun's hand and Tao barely hears it.

"Allergies to what?" He asks gently.

"Not saying. So pathetic." Sehun's body seems to relax in Tao's hold. Tao rubs Sehun's arm and they sit there together. He's waiting for Sehun to suddenly blurt out to let him go, but the boy is strangely quiet. And then Tao remembers the last time this had happened.

"Sehun, you didn't fall asleep, did you...?" He looks down to see Sehun's eyes closed and his mouth slightly open. He rolls his eyes and lifts him up with a grunt. Unarguably, the young master looks a lot less cantankerous in his sleep. It's a rare moment Tao finds himself able to examine his features without being snapped at. Pale, smooth skin, light pink lips slightly chapped due to the recent colder weather, and long eyelashes. If he were to be awake right now, he'd be throwing a fit once he sees that Tao is holding him in a princess hold. 

Tao carries him over to the bed and places him on it as softly as he can. He rubs the back of his neck and starts thinking it through like last time. Should he be worried that it might happen again? There's always the chance, though he really wouldn't know since his he's never experienced such a thing in his life. Of course, Sehun probably wouldn't be happy about it, but it's his job, isn't it? To protect Sehun in times of need? Tao almost laughs. Is it?

He pulls the blankets over Sehun's body and lies down next to him. If he had an emergency, then he'd be right here beside him. No harm done.

 

 

 

Sehun's not sure what to feel about this anymore. It's the second time he's woken up with another male in his bed, both times having been Tao, and he's never expected this to happen in the first place. He feels a blush creeping all over this face and he's scared to make a sound just in case Tao might actually wake up, to which Sehun has absolutely no clue what to do about it. 

He chooses to lie in place, hoping that he won't disturb the other's sleep. Luhan's not coming over for lessons today and he'd rather sleep in the tiniest bit. He turns his head ever so slightly to look at Tao and his blush deepens.

Tao's sharp eyes are shut, and his long eyelashes conceal the dark bags under his eyes. His lips dip in the middle, not quite cat-like, he notices, but very similar. His skin tone is a little darker than Sehun's, but it's smooth and Sehun feels an urge to run his finger across his cheekbone, to see if it feels as silky as it looks. He stares longer than he means too, and sits up suddenly, feeling embarrassed. 

The movement makes Tao awaken, and he stretches before sitting up. "Good morning, Sehun." He blinks at him. "How are you feeling?"

"Good morning." Sehun is relieved he didn't stutter. "I'm alright, thank you." He answers slowly. He thinks over the night. He didn't say anything weird, did he?

"That's good." Why does Tao always sound so casual? Sehun internally groans. He really does not want to be able to say "always"; he hopes this doesn't become a habit of staying in his bed after helping him with midnight medical difficulties. "Luhan isn't coming today, correct?"

"Yeah." Sehun feels a little less awkward, so he stands and lets out a huge yawn.

The two of them head downstairs. The house is empty, meeting Sehun's mental expectations of his parents. They must be gone for work already.

"Are your parents at work?" Tao asks as Sehun preps the coffee maker.

"Do you have telepathy?"

Tao gives him a weird look. "Excuse me?"

"Never mind." Sehun goes back to his coffee machine. The idea is stupid. He doesn't bring it up again. "Do you prefer any kind of coffee?"

"I don't mind."

"Alright." Sehun puts in his favorite and presses start. He claims his bar stool. Tao remains standing which causes Sehun to look at him with his eyes as if asking, why aren't you sitting? Tao takes a seat next to him with a laugh.

Sehun feels rather relaxed this morning. It's late for him, later than he'd usually be up, and he likes that he doesn't have to search for something to fill the morning hours. He also feels rather fidgety, however, and whilst waiting for his coffee, he changes his position again and again, finally settling in what would have seemed to be the most uncomfortable position of them all. His bar stool is pulled away from the counter, and he sits loosely on the edge, leaning back, with his head on the counter top. 

Tao raises an eyebrow and mutters under his breath, "Weird kid."

When the coffee finishes, Sehun looks at Tao and Tao rolls his eyes. "I'll get it." He pours the dark liquid for the both of them and sits back down. His seating doesn't allow for him to take a sip, so Sehun lets the drink cool first.

"Hey Tao."

"Yes?" Tao looks up from his mug.

"When's your birthday?"

Tao takes a sip. "May 2nd," he answers coolly. "Why do you ask?"

Sehun perks up. "Year?"

" '93."

He spins on the chair to face Tao. "You're older than me?"

"What's so surprising?" He keeps drinking his coffee and nods his head towards Sehun's cup. "It's gonna go cold, you know."

Sehun picks it up and quickly takes a sip. "I just...didn't know, that's all."

"Well now you do." He sets down his cup.

He feels a little awkward. This whole time, he'd thought they were the same age. Should he start...?

"There's no need with formalities though. Your ranking is technically still higher than mine." Tao's voice sounds so calm.

Sehun nods. Disturbing, he thinks. It's almost as if he can read thoughts.

"Do you even need coffee? It's not as if Luhan is coming, nor are there any plans." Tao puts the cup back down, coffee finished.

Sehun leans back, his elbows resting on the table, and lets his head fall back. "I've been thinking...."

"Go on." He questions why Sehun's dragging on his sentence. It's not what he would normally do.

"Maybe we should go shopping today. As in...outside."

There's a pause.

"Absolutely not," Tao answers. He starts to walk away, but Sehun stops him before he can by grabbing his sleeve.

"Why not?"

"Are you whining?" Tao smirks, and Sehun makes a face.

"I am being serious here. Think about it. Your role as my bodyguard is completely useless if there's no need to protect me from anything within the confines of my own home!"

Tao turns to face him. "Are you saying you want me to do my job? Please, Sehun, I don't want to have to do what I'm hired to. Do you know what I mean? Your parents will kill me and you both if they ever were to find out that we even had the thought of going outside." 

"You're just being paranoid."

"You almost being killed was not paranoia."

"Look," Sehun stands to be on eye-level with him. "These kinds of things have happened before. 'It's dangerous, Sehun, be careful' and 'don't go outside' and all that. It's nothing. It's fine. These things are never real. They're flukes. I'm not going to be in harm's way. So let's go shopping. This one time. And then I won't suggest the idea ever again until I'm...allowed to."

He looks up from under long lashes to peek at the sharp-eyed boy's expression, hoping for this one opportunity to escape the cage.

"Why..." Tao bites his lip as he looks into Sehun's eyes. He looks like he's begging and it makes him feel more than uncomfortable. "Why did you suddenly come up with this idea?"

 "I grow weary of this place." Sehun stands straighter.

"Oh really?" There's a curious tone in his voice. He sighs. "Just this once, okay?"

"But plea-- wait. Seriously?" Sehun's eyes widen.

"Yes. Because you actually asked for my permission." He winks at Sehun, a corner of his lips turned up.

Sehun turns red. He tries to cover his face with his hand. "No I didn't! I just-- what? No!" Flustered, he stomps away saying, "I-- I'm going to go change."

Tao chuckles as he walks away and checks the clock. If they depart at the right time, it should be alright. He nods to himself, still feeling troubled, and leaves to get his coat.

 

 

 

 Wu Yi Fan awaits him in his room. Tao nearly jumps at the sight of the tall man, but manages to keep it to a more subtle jolt. 

"Going somewhere?" He smirks at Tao and walks to the sofa in the corner of the room where Tao's jacket is thrown over the back. 

"Please, Yi Fan. Don't inform the boy's parents of this." He walks over to get the jacket himself, but stops when the butler picks it up before him. Yi Fan steps towards him, that smug look still on his face as he spins Tao around smoothly with his hands and places the garment over his shoulders. "You're hardly my butler. There's no need for this."

"It's an excuse. Just go with it." Tao feels unnerved when Yi Fan's hands travel down his arms after he pushes them through the wool sleeves. He's close -- too close. Tao doesn't appreciate his contact. Never has. "Don't worry, I won't tell," Yi Fan assures him. He stares into Tao's eyes with that mocking pleasure. 

"Thank you." Tao remains unmoving. There are ways to live an untroubled life, and that was to abide to others when need be. This is no time to be making back-lashing comments and complaints. This is the physical world, where a touch here and a touch there could lead to fatalities.

"I'll be off. You two have fun." Yi Fan says whilst he heads leisurely out the door. When he passes by Tao, he leans in close and whispers in his ear. The words send shivers down Tao's spine.

"The gun is in the back."

 

 

 

Sehun treads beside him with a small smile. He's trying to hide it, Tao can tell, but those lips curl right up whenever he pushes them down. He's happy to be outside and it makes Tao feel warm even in this cold winter weather. The thought of Sehun genuinely having fun with him was an impossible concept just one hour ago, and now they are headed into the depths of the busiest shopping districts. 

Tao hands him a pair of sunglasses. "Wear these," he says.

"You're kidding right?" Sehun takes them anyways.

"No I'm not. In case you aren't aware, you're a rather recognizable figure and I'm not taking any chances." He slips the glasses over Sehun's eyes. 

"You're ridiculous." He shakes his head at the silly gesture. 

"So why shopping? What do you need?" Tao asks casually.

"Sneakers. I need new shoes." Which definitely isn't true because Sehun has about four pairs of sneakers in his closest that are all insanely expensive and mostly unused. He simply wanted to go outside for a bit.

"Alright." Tao nods. "So, um. Before. You were saying that 'these kinds of things' have happened before. What...did you mean?" He peers at Sehun through peripheral vision. 

"Oh, yeah. When I was little, our family was a lot more unstable when it came to protection and the value of our property. There were threats left and right. I was kidnapped once or twice. No big deal since nothing really came out of all of that." He shrugs.

'No big deal' certainly isn't how Tao thought of it, but what can he say? He'd never been kidnapped. Life for him hadn't necessarily been the most safe or secure, but he probably wouldn't be able to compare it to Sehun's. 

Safe. What an odd word to think about when there's that hard object digging into the small of his back. He looks over at Sehun and almost instantaneously makes a decision.

He'd delay it. For today.

There is a time and place for everything, and this isn't it.

 


hullo everyone! >w< i'm very excited to finally reveal some of the plans i have for this story through this chapter :) I hope you're enjoying it so far and are anticipating my updates eheh~

thank you for 75+ subscribers! i'm very honored to be receiving all this love >w< if you like the story, subscribe or comment or vote and wow i'd update like all hell depended on it if you do :3