11%

Metal

Tao takes one look at Sehun's smile, folds his arms across his chest, reaches up, and pinches the bridge of his nose. "Oh Sehun, you are an emotional roller coaster, did you know that? What are you doing?" Tao does not appreciate the confused feeling bubbling up in him. 

"Easy," Sehun replies. "I'm giving up."

Tao raises an eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

The corner of Sehun's lip twitches. "We're going to be sick of each other eventually. You can't stay with me forever. So why waste my time when the inevitable will surely come?"

There was hope in his voice; Tao had heard it.

"Why do you want me to go so badly?" Tao asks as he walks over to the side of the bed. Sehun sits up against a pillow.

"Simple. You ruined my life."

"Oh yeah? What about it?" Tao crosses his arms again.

"My social life."

"Jongin's still your friend, isn't he? If anything, you even have me now." He shoots back at him.

"My home life."

"Your parents are alive and well. Your butler, your staff -- all present."

"My reputation." Sehun's starting to grit his teeth. 

"You refused to talk to your classmates in the first place."

"My family."

Tao laughs at that one. He curls that cat-mouth of his into a crooked smirk at Sehun, but it doesn't reach his eyes, which suddenly seem colder than usual. "You were lonely anyways, weren't you?"

The icy words find its mark and buries themselves directly into Sehun's heart. His blood starts to boil. "My... my-"

Tao interjects before he could go any further. "Sehun, half of the things you said had nothing to do with me. In reality, nothing around you has changed. Maybe it's just you."

He leaves the room, cutting his visit, and Sehun's pride, short.

 

 

 

 

 

Returning to the manor is a small pleasure for Sehun. However much he enjoys being back in his own room, he has lost the ability to find comfort in his own routines ever since that last conversation with Tao. It's a bittersweet feeling, a bit like eating chocolates the day after Valentines' Day, or reading a book after watching the movie. It's a sort of itch in the back of his head, as if something's not quite right. That he should be doing something different.

Maybe it's just you. The words repeat themselves in his mind.

Him? Change? It seems incredulous. No such thing. He had always been Oh Sehun, and always will be. But it was too late. He had begun to doubt himself, and once that seed is planted, it can only really grow.

It's late afternoon outside, the sky making blurred orange-reds and the sun appears to be setting earlier and earlier with each passing day. Sehun's room is dim, hardly any sunlight enters through the window. He sits down on his bed (the blankets feel so familiar to him; he takes a moment to close his eyes and breathe in) right as he hears the doorknob turn to see Wu Yi Fan walk in and stop inside the doorway.

"Welcome home, young master." Yi Fan gives him the smallest smile, barely noticeable. He's a serious man, little time for overdoing emotions and whatnot when he's busy serving the Oh family and managing things in the house whilst they're gone.

"Glad to be back, Yi Fan. How have you been?" His returning smile is strained.

"Quite fine, thank you, sir." The butler nods his head. "I hope you're feeling better."

Sehun stands, deciding that he didn't want to idle around in his room any longer. "I am. I think I should be alright."

There's a silence as the two look at each other, and then Yi Fan bites his lip in a disapproving fashion. "I'm sorry, sir. It's for the best. We don't want that to happen again."

He's talking about the "house arrest" Sehun seems to have gotten himself in. Sehun's expression turns hard. "I understand. Well then," He walks over to Yi Fan. "I'll be downstairs. Is it almost dinner?"

"Yes. It'll be just a while now." Yi Fan backs away to let him out and Sehun closes the door behind him.

"Great. I'll see you then."

"Of course." Yi Fan turns and walks away immediately. He has an earpiece in his ear, a small radio -- like a walkie-talkie -- used by the staff in the house. To have left so quickly, he must have received a task. Sehun remains in his spot, wishing he could busy himself as well. 

He shakes his head and starts downstairs.

He finds Tao in the living room, his lean body stretched across a couch fit for three people. His feet are propped up on one armrest, his head on the other with his eyes closed. His hands rest on his stomach and his breathing is deep and even. With every inhale and exhale, his chest rises and falls in a slow rhythm. He looks peaceful and innocent, unlike the businesslike features his face seemed to have when he was awake. Sehun stands, leaning against the doorway, not wanting to wake up the other boy. Instead, he waits there and stares blankly. Tao's shirt is thin and loose, and the hem had moved up while he had shifted in his sleep to slightly above his waistband, revealing a stretch of white skin. His arms are toned and his physique is overall impressive. Sehun lets go and loses himself in his thoughts. He blinks a few times to snap out of his daze and just then, Wu Yi Fan walks by. Sehun stops the butler with a motion of his hand.

"Why is he sleeping on the couch?" He asks. It's a little peculiar to him. Tao has a room, much more comfortable than this.

"He hasn't told you sir?" Wu Yi Fan lets a bit of shock into his voice.

"Told me what?"

"When he wasn't visiting you in the hospital, he was preparing security measures around the house for your return. He's been getting around three, maybe four, hours of sleep every night since your last attack," Yi Fan bows, sixty-degrees. "I'm afraid I have something to attend to. Please excuse me."

"Of course..." Yi Fan walks away and Sehun goes back to watching Tao. He sees in him a new light. Someone hard working, someone sacrificing his own time for a person like Sehun, and yet Sehun can't help but make a face and think to himself, what a waste of his time. He doesn't deem himself worthy of such determination. With a somewhat hesitant feeling, he walks towards the couch. Tao almost instantly opens his eyes. He turns his head and sits up, looking at Sehun as he approaches.

"Yes?" Tao asks suspiciously. 

"I'm going to Jongin's house." Sehun replies coolly. 

"Okay? That seems fine."

"I'm not asking for your approval."

Stubborn as ever, Tao thinks to himself. "Then what are you asking for?"

"Nothing. If you need me, I'll be at Jongin's house."

He leaves without looking back and Tao rubs the sleep out of his eyes. Was that an attempt? To get closer? At this point, Tao has no idea what anything Sehun does means anymore. He shoves the idea out of his head, stands, and stretches. He has a phone call to make.

In his room upstairs, he carefully locks the door, shuts the window, draws the curtain closed, and turns on the lamp on his nightstand. In the dim lighting, he pulls a cell phone out of his pocket. It's a paid phone, untraceable and disposable after use. He dials the number out of memory and brings it to his ear.

It rings a couple times. When the ringing stops, he's greeted with a man's deep voice. "Hello?"

"It's me."

The man chuckles. "I'm busy now, but do tell me. He's been rather...over-excitable lately. What have you been doing?"

Tao scowls. "I'm getting to it, okay? You know I am."

He hears a short laugh from the man. "I know. You've been doing quite well lately, quite well. I'm expecting success?"

"Naturally."

"Alright dear, you take your time."

Tao throws his head back and rolls his eyes at the ceiling. "My God, I said don't call me that."

"You'll see my way soon."

"In your dreams."

"Delightfully so."

Tao slaps his forehead with his hand. "You're gross."

The man chuckles again. Full of laughs today, aren't we? Tao thinks to himself. "Should I await another report soon?" 

"A week's time. Maybe more."

"Swell." The man hangs up and Tao throws the phone onto his bed. A second later, he picks it up again and quickly puts it in his pocket. Insecurity makes him do so, worry that it'll be found. The phone only has a couple more uses on it anyway. He'd be rid of it soon enough. 

He arranges his room into the opposite of what he did when he entered -- draws the curtains open, turns off the light, unlocks the door. He keeps the door itself closed, however, and decides to continue his nap. All this planning was taking a toll on him; he needs his rest.

 

 

 

 

 

Sehun takes a chip from the plastic bag and flings it into his mouth. "Favorite color?"

"Orange." Jongin puts the disk in.

"Last time you said blue." Sehun sits down, his back against the side of Jongin's bed.

"Well 'last time' was, like, a month ago." Jongin plops down next to him.

"You change your mind too much." He picks up the controllers and hands one to Jongin. 

"What about you?"

"I don't care about colors." Sehun presses 'start', then 'story mode'.

"What lack of artistic respect." Jongin starts slamming away at the buttons. 

"You don't even know what you're talking about."

"Probably. Worst grade?"

"91. My dad was pissed. You?" He takes another chip. "Get the health pack."

" man, my worse was a 75. My dad totally flipped the switch. Couldn't use this er for a month." He waves the controller in hand at Sehun, who shoulders him. "I got it, I got it, calm down." He resumed his vigorous pressing. "You better believe I never got that again."

"How old were you?" Sehun sticks his tongue out slightly in concentration. "Hit him from the back."

"Eight. Aim for the eyes."

"That makes sense. 34 squared? What kind of word is 'the'? Why is the sky blue?" He asks the series of questions in a hurry.

"1156, article, scattered blue light. What's your point?" Jongin doesn't even glance away from the screen. There's a loud sound of something exploding from the tv as the boss monster dies and they high five each other.

"You're doing just fine to me."

Jongin laughs. "Those questions prove nothing."

This is typical behavior whenever Sehun goes over to Jongin's house. His house is next door, a one-floor residence, pretty decent. They get snacks, usually junk food, mostly chips and soda, and Jongin sets up the game. They've been trying to complete this mode for over two months, longer than it's ever taken the two to finish a game. In their defense, they'd restarted a couple times. After a few days of not playing a game, it feels strange for them to keep going, so they just restart, like today. And it's usually too quiet for them to just play in silence, so they ask a sort of back and forth Q&A. 

Jongin take a swig of soda and finishes the rest of the can in one shot. "Next stage."

"You're gonna be buzzed on sugar, you know that?"

"Too late to tell me now." He slams his thumb down on 'A'. 

"Think we'll finish this today?" 

"No way in hell. Let's do it."

Sehun laughs, glad to be away from his house and here with his best friend; a taste of a more normal life. That's what it is, right? 

An hour or so later, the chips are gone, the soda cans are crumpled and they're throwing it around. Sehun catches the aluminum mess one last time, stands, and throws it away. Jongin stands too. 

"I gotta go." Sehun walks out of the bedroom with Jongin trailing behind him.

"Yup," Jongin walks him to the front door. "See you." He waves at him before closing it shut. 

Back in his own home, he's greeted with a strong aroma of food. It leads him to the dining room where there's absolutely no one...except Tao.

"Welcome back." 

"Where are my parents?" Aren't they joining him today? His first dinner back at home from the hospital after so many weeks?

"They're out at work. Both of them had last minute business to finish." Tao's demeanor changes for a split second -- pity.

Sehun opens his mouth to say something; closes it. His eyebrows knit together. "I...see." He coughs into his fist and takes a seat across from Tao.

"I'm sorry, Sehun." Tao wants to add, I'm still here, but he's sure it would be of no use to the other boy.

"It's...fine. Don't worry about it. Let's eat." He regains his composure and adjusts to the empty table quickly. It's funny, he thinks. He's a little like this table, isn't he? Empty. Emptier than usual? No, it's always been like this. And it's also funny, he thinks, because like this table, all that's left in the house is him and Tao. "Thanks for joining me, at least."

Tao stops eating for a second to regard Sehun in his current state. "Anytime, Sehun."

And Sehun knows he means it.

 

 

A/N Hello everyone!!!!!! Wow, you all really like...... /coughs awkwardly/ I guess I can exclusively add a little M to the story on AFF only.. Anyways, thank you all SOOOO much for the votes (WOW >w<) and for subscribing! It means a lot <3 Please feel free to comment, vote or subscribe if you like my story, it would really encourage me to update faster~! <3 Please tell me if there are typos/grammar mistakes and thank you again for reading!