[ARC1.6] Test

ONCE 사랑에 빠졌다

I'm standing in front of the glass separating me from Moon Jongup, a young man employed under Jeon Nomin as a smuggler of . From his initial interview, he revealed that he was born in 1995. An 18-year old and he's living a life of crime. I wonder what brought him to live this kind of life? I'm sure he didn't just blatantly decide to live like this. Something--or someone--made him this way. I want to know what's going on inside this kid's head.

"Himchan-ah, how do you want to do the interview?" Yongguk asks me.

I shrug. The only time I've ever interrogated someone was... never. I have to reiterate that I'm a rookie and everything is new to me. 

"If you're not going to be involved in the interview, I'll might as well do this myself."

Yongguk leaves the room. He sounds annoyed. Well, I see his mood swings are in tact. One minute he's all savior-like and the next he's Mr. Pissy pants. What is wrong with him? Why do I even bother? I let out a sigh before putting my attention back to Moon Jongup. Yongguk enters the room and sits down in front of Moon Jongup. Yongguk is just sitting there, probably staring down at the poor kid. Yongguk leans on the table and doesn't lose eye contact with the kid. I can see it because the room is covered in mirror glass. 

"Kid, do you have any idea what kind of trouble you're in?"

Moon Jongup raises his head and just gives a smirk, which I find unexpected.

"Of course, I do, sir."

"And yet you still commit this kind of crime?"

"Did I choose to be in this situation, sir? Or is it people like you who force people like me to commit crimes like this?"

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm sorry if I'm not one of the privileged like you."

Yongguk quickly stands up causing his chair to fall on its back. He grabs the kid by the collar of his shirt. Why is Yongguk so angered by a single statement?

"What game are you playing with me, kid? HUH?!"

"I'm not playing any games, sir. You, on the other hand, have been playing a game for a long time. That's what our leader tells me."

"Why you little --

I run inside the room and stop Yongguk from beating the life out of the kid. Luckily, the kid got out with only a bruise on one of his cheeks. I tell Yongguk that I'll be handling the interrogation from now on. Yongguk leaves the room, stomping his feet like a hurt child. This grown man's attitude is very questionable. I fix the chair and sit on it, telling the kid to sit down as well.

"We don't want to put you in jail..."

So far, he seems interested in my words.

"...at the same time, we can't let you off the hook."

I stand up and go to the corner where there is a water cooler standing. I take out my unused handkerchief and wet it with cold water. I squeeze a small amount of water out to leave a damp handkerchief in my hand. I give it to the Jongup and he places it on his cheek. He gives a soft 'Thank you' which is enough for me.

"You seem like a good kid, Moon Jongup."

I can feel Bang Yongguk's eyes pierce through the glass. I look to the glass separating me and Yongguk and I just cough. Yongguk's probably flustered. 

"You only met me now. How would you know I'm a good kid? You don't know me."

"I know enough."

"Yeah? Like what?"

"I know that you're 18 years old."

"Genius... like you couldn't get that much information."

I giggle. The kid's got an attitude.

"I know that you have a self-defense mechanism where you use your sass and sarcasm in order to defend your actions."

He looks at me a bit surprised. Did I hit a nerve there?

"I also know you didn't set yourself up to be part of the industry. I know that you probably have a problem with your mother.. no wait, your father? Am I close?"

"How do you--"

"And hearing your conversation with Mr. Angry bird a while back, you have a thing for injustice in the social class. I see that you were either born into a poor family or forced into it by circumstances, let's say... your father's bankruptcy? Am I at least half-way to figuring you out, Moon Jongup?"

He stays silent. I see my guess is correct. These are only mere observations. I can already imagine his struggles. It seems all too familiar.

"How long?"

"What?"

"How long have you been living like this?"

I don't give anything specific but I see in his eyes that he's already having flashbacks. This kid has only been suffering up until now.

"Three years, sir."

"Since you were Fifteen?"

"Yes, sir."

"I'm assuming that you live alone."

"No, sir. I don't. Ever since I was Fifteen, Jeon Nomin took me in. He raised me."

"I see."

Instead of sitting in front of him, I take my chair and sit beside Moon Jongup. I lean in closely enough not to invade his personal space but close enough to let him know that what I'll ask of him is only for the NIS' use and he'll not be harmed. Hopefully, I give off this kind of vibe.

"Jongup-ah, you've been suffering for far too long. If you want to start a new life now, help me out. I promise you... nothing bad will happen to you."

"..."

"Jongup-ah...do you know where Jeon Nomin is?"

"...yes, sir."

➳➳➳➳➳

"Great. This is great. I've just been demoted to babysitter..." Bang Yongguk complains.

"Stop whining like a baby. It's the Chief's orders," I tell him.

"If I wanted to babysit a f-cking eighteen-year old, I'd just visit my next door neighbor's son!"

"Ignore him, Jongup-ah."

Bang Yongguk, Moon Jongup and I are in the KTX on our way to Busan. The Chief's order was to take Jongup as hostage-slash-bait for Jeon Nomin. Once we arrive at Busan, we're supposed to rent a motel room and we'll receive our orders as soon as we arrive. The team will still locate Jeon Nomin's exact location and that's the only time we will deploy and set up our plan into action. But Yongguk sees it as a babysitting mission. He has such a way with children, I see.

Jongup may not be handcuffed but he has a tracker strapped and locked around his ankle which can only be unlocked by me. He is sitting beside me while Yongguk sits across from me. He still looks upset. I think I know why.

"Stop pouting. You're upset just because I was able to interrogate someone better than you."

"Shut up, Kim Himchan."

"I guess the bad cop gig didn't work out so well, huh? Lost to a rookie."

"I said shut up."

Jongup just laughs. Yongguk raises his arm threatening to punch the kid but of course I stare Yongguk down and he's back to his original crossed-arms position. The rest of the trip is pretty chill. There is nothing out of the ordinary. We're just 10 minutes away from arriving at the station and I use this time to have a bathroom break. I leave Jongup under Yongguk's watchful eye.

After I finish up my business, I open the the lavatory door to exit but as soon as I open it, a guy enters and locks it again. My immediate reaction was to curse out loud and then I saw Yongguk's face and I seriously want to curse out loud even more.

"What the hell?!"

"Himchan, you need to listen to me."

"Can we have this conversation outside?!"

"No, I need you to listen to me now."

"You left Jongup alone!"

"He's fine."

"That's not the point--aish! Bang Yongguk, I--"

He covers up my mouth with his hand and he removes something inside my jacket. It's a mic and wire. He throws it in the toilet and flushes it down. I'm definitely confused. I had no idea I was wired.

"What was that?" I ask him.

"We're being hunted."

"Hunted?!"

"I think Jeon Nomin's team is a part of this. I don't know how but they were able to break into our houses and put bugs in our clothes."

"How.. How did you--"

"I didn't notice it at first but I noticed a dangling wire inside your jacket when you left for the bathroom."

"You... you noticed that...?"

"Himchan, focus. If we're bugged, it means Moon Jongup is not cooperating with us.. it means.."

We have arrived at Busan. Thank you for traveling with us.

"We're here. If we're here... Jongup!" I exclaim.

The two of us struggle to leave the lavatory. The train comes to a complete stop and when Yongguk opens the door, we fall on the floor, me on top of him. This embarrassing moment is the least of our worries because at the end of the train's car I see Jongup running away! I get up and chase after him. I shout at Yongguk to follow and hurry. I keep my eye on the 18-year old fleeing. His stamina must be good because he's getting farther and farther away. He exits one of the doors and I follow suit. I bump into a few civilians but I must continue on. I keep running and follow Jongup up the stairs of the station. I bump into another civilian and we both fall on the floor. I apologize and look back up to see where the teen is but he's gone. 

"!"

Yongguk arrives a few seconds too late and Moon Jongup is already gone. 

"I can't believe we let him go..." 

"We still have a tracker on him," Yongguk reminds me. 

I realize he's right and I take out my cellphone which NIS programmed to be able for me to track Jongup. According to the GPS, the tracker is still on Jongup. It has no signs of stopping. Jongup is still on the move. But... Jongup is not that stupid to just flee with his tracker on. If he were truly escaping, he would remove the tracker. 

"Bang Yongguk..."

"What?"

"Jongup is on our side."

"Huh? What kind of crap are you saying? Of course he's not on our side! He just fled, remember?"

"But he's left his tracker on him."

"Then he's just stupid."

"No, he isn't. He's not stupid to leave it on him. He's helping us. He's... helping us find Jeon Nomin faster."

"Are... are you sure?"

I look at Yongguk with seriousness.

"Trust me, Bang Yongguk."

The true test begins now.

➳➳➳➳➳

AUTHOR'S NOTES

Hi, everyone! HAPPY LUNAR NEW YEAR! 

Thank you for being patient with this update. Or maybe you suffered. I'm sorry if you suffered. I hope this update is enough of an apology to everyone. Hehe. I just want to let you know that the entire plot of ONCE is finished. I just have to write it. For as long as you comment and give me encouraging words, I'll update as much as I can so you can get the juicy stuff :))

The next chapter will really focus on the development of Himchan and Yongguk's relationship. I swear to you. It'll be an emotional rollercoaster. Haha! 

UPVOTE. SUBSCRIBE. BOOKMARK. SHARE. Do what you must! Spread the BangHim/YongChan love <3

Special mention to my new upvoters: DuchessofaMblaq_MirueShinSeoRaebloodymoonShaniiThank you Darlings!