[ARC1.3] Mission

ONCE 사랑에 빠졌다

Another day at NIS and the headquarters is running like usual. I greet fellow agents as they walk past me. There are new faces as well, probably part of the investigations division of NIS. Phones are ringing and staff at work, trying to locate specific criminals or pinpointing the next venue for a smuggling group. Walking around in this intimdating office full of brilliant minds and skilled talents, I feel like I'm not worthy of being a NIS field agent. The only reason I got in was because of my high score and I don't believe that's enough for me. And I can see even a few agents think so, too.

Each agent has a desk provided for them, equipped with PCs and required NIS software. My desk is covered with files and folders, for the counterfeit money case which a certain someone volunteered to handle. A sticky note is stuck on top of one folder. Written in scripted font, it's a note from Choi Gina.

Himchan-sshi

I hope these files will help you on the case.

PS: If you have time... want to go out?

- Choi Gina

As I sit down on my chair to look closely at the sticky note, someone swiftly swipes it from my hand and reads it. 

"Blahblahblah... If you have time want to go out. Oooh..."

"Sunggyu-sshi, please give--"

"Wow. The rookie's already gotten himself a date, huh?"

He crumples the sticky note with his right hand, aims for the trash bin and throws it in.

"Hey! That's not yours to throw."

He laughs and sits on my desk, leaning towards me until we're a few inches apart--face to face.

"Rookies like you shouldn't be getting this much attention."

"E-Excuse me?"

"You haven't proven anything yet, Rookie. We all know you scored the highest grade at this year's NIS licensure exam but that proves nothing."

He points his finger at me and pokes my chest repeatedly, enunciating each of the following words: YOU'RE. STILL. ZERO. When he looks at me with a satisfied glare, Yongguk is right behind him and plants his hand on Sunggyu's shoulder. 

"Don't you have other rookies you want to bully, Sunggyu-sshi?"

The two give each other very odd evil eyes and Sunggyu finally decides to remove his from my desk and leave. He points two fingers over his eyes and points them back at me -- as a sign that he's going to watch me closely. I don't need more people watching me, I already seem to have Bang Yongguk everywhere I go.

"Thanks..." 

"No problem."

"Uhm... How...How's your eye?" I ask awkwardly.

He doesn't answer. I can understand that. The other day, after he kissed me at the shooting range, I punched him right in the face. I gave him a black eye. The fact that he's wearing sunglasses is already answer enough. 

"You know, Kim Sunggyu had the highest score until you took the NIS exam," Himchan tells me as he sits down on his desk, which is right beside mine.

"Really? I didn't know that."

"Yeah. I think that's why he's got a grudge on you."

"I've only been here less than a month and already I have a nemesis?"

"Haha, if you want to call it that."

We both share a good laugh. We haven't really had a nice chat since we started working together. I've been avoiding him all this time. I guess I should try being nice to him. At least on a professional level. I'm definitely keeping a boundary with him. No surprise kisses, no talks about relationships or our past. No. Definitely not our past.

"Agent Kim Himchan," a deep voice calls my name.

I see at the end of the room, Chief Kim Byeong-ok is there. He tilts his head slightly, pointing towards his office square. He walks away and that's signal enough for me to move.

➳➳➳➳➳

"I'm surprised to have men like you in this agency," the Chief starts.

"Excuse me, sir?"

I'm standing across his desk with my feet together and arms behind my back. He's walking around slowly, looking at his book shelf, then at his photos then at his diplomas hanging on his office wall. He's staring me down, from head to toe. I don't say anything. I don't want to upset him since it looks like I've done something wrong--and I have no idea what it is. He sits on his revolving leather chair and leans back. He cups his chin and stares at me once again. 

"Hmm... you don't look like that type of man, Agent Kim Himchan."

 "I-I'm... not really following, sir."

He grins. This is not good. He places his right hand on the computer mouse and is clicking away. He seems to be looking for a file. He double clicks and something starts playing. I hear gun shots. The Chief turns the screen to face me and I'm shocked by what I'm viewing. It's CCTV footage of me at the shooting range.

"Can you tell me who this is?" he asks.

"Uhm... that's me, sir."

"Very good. Now, in a few seconds, another man will be entering. Is it okay to ask for the name of this second party?"

I swallow the saliva that's collecting in my mouth. That very moment, I'm watching myself shoot then Yongguk enters and he's right behind me. His closeness can be viewed either way: he's helping his partner or there's something between us. I clear my throat out of nervousness and answer the Chief's question.

"That's Bang Yongguk, sir."

"Another good answer."

The Chief fast forwards the footage until I'm seen standing at the doorway being blocked by Yongguk. And right before he eases in for the surprise kiss, the Chief pauses the footage.

"I don't know what kind of relationship you and Bang Yongguk have but I have to say, I'm disappointed."

"Sir, I can explain..."

"There's nothing to explain, Agent Kim. You being homoual has nothing to do with why I asked you here."

"It... it doesn't?"

"Of course not. I just showed you this footage to let you know that there are cameras filming the entire building. You need to be careful next time. I warn you...in-office dating can be rough. I'm surprised you're not more aware of your surroundings."

Wait a minute. The Chief is not scolding me about being homoual? He's not even questioning my relationship with Bang Yongguk? If I'm not called here to be yelled at, then what is my true purpose for being called into his office?

"I called you here to discuss a different matter. And we need your help."

➳➳➳➳➳

The plan that the Chief explained to me is that I pretend to buy a pound of from the smugglers and then become interested in their counterfeiting business. I pretend that I want to be in on it and meet with their team leader. Once I'm in and I shake hands with the team leader, the NIS field agents enter and arrest everyone on site. Everyone seems to be okay with the plan. Except for one.

"That's a stupid idea. There is no way Himchan is going in there. I'm more skilled for this job."

"Agent Bang, you have no say in this. I've discussed it with Agent Kim. The only way to capture the counterfeiters is to capture their team leader. We already have the warehouse location. All we need is someone to be a fake buyer and I've decided Kim Himchan is our guy," the Chief explains clearly.

"On what grounds, sir?" 

"On my grounds. Stop arguing, Agent Bang. If you've forgotten, Agent Kim Himchan is your partner. You need to be his eyes and ears while he's on this mission. Do you understand?"

Yongguk seems displeased but he responds with a cold 'yes, sir'. The investigation team reports next on the whereabouts and details of the smugglers. The team leader of the smugglers being Jeon Nomin. He's not easy to fool. Acting skills need to be up-to-par for this mission. Everyone is counting on me to act well. I'm not that confident. I'm only a rookie. But the incident with Kim Sunggyu this morning made me realize I should stop thinking like a rookie and start proving myself to the agency. 

"Are you confident, Agent Kim Himchan?" the Chief asks me.

"Yes, sir!"

"Good. Everything's settled then. In two days at o-six-hundred hours, we will commence Operation pick-up. Understood?"

"YES, SIR!" Everyone responds in unison.

"Dismissed."

This is going to be my first NIS mission.

I hope nothing... no one screws this up.

TO BE CONTINUED...



AUTHOR'S NOTES

Hey guys! Here's another update! I'm on a roll. I'm supposed to be writing my thesis but I just finished writing two chapters for 'ONCE'. My priorities are out of order. lol.

I still haven't figured out the finale for 'ONCE'. Because there are two ways it can go down. I have a good ending and a bad ending. If time permits, I'll write both. If not, I have to choose one. Although I'm troubled with the finale, I know how the story of 'ONCE' will play out. You guys should watch closely how Yongguk acts from now on. You're either going to love him or hate him... just like Himchan. HAHA~! 

Anyways. Leave a comment! Upvote! Share with other BangHim shippers! Spread the love, my darlings!

Special mention to my 3 new upvoters: Artiel_SalvatorCandyGirl01TheBlackBlingRabbit (Thank you for the support)