[ARC1.5] Saving

ONCE 사랑에 빠졌다

 

"Testing... Testing... Agent Kim Himchan, can you hear me?" I can hear the chief's voice in my earpiece.

My small earpiece rings a little high-pitched but is adjusted after a few turns of a knob. I respond with an 'okay' to a microphone clipped inside my shirt, which is then covered by a jacket. Inside the van which is full of screens and high-tech equipment, I sit nearest the van's backdoor. Yongguk is seated on the passenger's seat. He's not facing me. He's probably mad. Not that I care.

We're parked 3 blocks away from the target site. The Chief is situated at another van that's 3 blocks opposite of the target site's direction. We're a few minutes away from commencing. A few more tech checks and I'm set to go. Yongguk has his own earpiece so he can hear me speaking but he didn't request for a mic. He requested not to be my eyes and ears, even though he's my partner. The Chief wanted to argue against that but instead, just let him be. The Chief decided to fill in Yongguk's role. He said that it's been a while since he's worked on the field, he wanted a refresher. I guess it's better this way. All I need are Chief's instructions and I'm good to go. But even without the Chief's guidance, my mission is simple.

Get in. Purchase a pound of . Give the 'signal'. Arrest. Get out.

Sounds easy enough, right?

Chief gives me the go. I step out of the van and begin walking. I was also given a pair of glasses with a camera hidden in the frame so that the NIS team can see what I see. I'm walking calmly towards the warehouse. The sky is still covered in a shade of dark blue. As I walk, the sun is rising and I can see the street more clearly.

"Kim Himchan, do you read me? If you do, nod," the Chief tells me.

I nod, which is viewable from the camera in my glasses, and he responds with an ok. He tells me to keep myself expressionless and not to act suspicious. Now that he mentions it, I stiffen my face and I think I look more awkward than I was a few seconds earlier. He reminds me again to keep calm and relax and that my mission is simple and the NIS team will do the rest.

I arrive at the warehouse. I enter the side and there's a large metal gate. I remember reading in the research of Gina that I must only knock twice. After 5 seconds, knock three times more. Then, someone will open the door and I should say,

"It's cold out. May I come in?"

A man, around the same age as I am, responds. "How long are you staying?"

"Two hours tops."

The man lets me in. Although the talk sounds ridiculous and uncommon (Seriously, who lets a stranger inside just like that?) this is how orders are made. Hours is the code for . And the length of stay corresponds to the amount of drugs you're purchasing. One hour for a pound of , two minutes for two pounds of , and so on.

I walk inside and it's pretty dark. The guy that opened the door is right behind my tail. I walk towards the dimly lit hall and enter through the only door. There are a few men packaging leaves--the --into ziplock bags. I look to my right and there are two machines which look like printing machines. I assume that's where they print the counterfeit cash. Ahead of me is a man seated comfortably with a table of ziploc bags full of greens. I recognize his face from the file and it's Jeon Nomin.

He smiles at me and I smile back, trying to be as natural as possible.

"You must be Yoo Youngjae. Here to pick-up your order?"

"Yes. I have it right here."

"The cash?"

I bring out a thick envelope. I drop it on the table and Jeon Nomin takes it. He opens it up and reveals the currency, crisp and newly printed. He even takes a whiff, and grins. He's that happy to see money, is he? I let it a short cough, my signal for the NIS team to enter and arrest. through my earpiece, I can hear the Chief give the orders for the other agents to move in. I feel relieved at this point.

Jeon Nomin opens the drawer, which I assume is for my order, but instead of a bag of he's holding a gun pointing at me. The man from earlier that's behind me is also holding a gun as I hear a click.

"You think you can fool a man like me, Yoo Youngjae? Is that even your real name, young man?"

I move my right hand close to my waist where my gun is kept but he quickly notices and tells me to put my hands up.

"Don't you dare make a move, kid. I don't mind killing off fresh meat here."

He walks closer and his face is right in front of mind. He gives a dirty look and points the gun directly at the side of my head. Just one pull of the trigger and my brain will blow to bits. He's seeing if I'll flinch but I don't. I remain calm. If I move at the right moment, I can grab hold of Jeon Nomin's gun and turn around to shoot the guy behind me. If I can just get the gun, then--

"Himchan, now! The gun!" I hear Yongguk's voice.

Is it from my earpiece? Does he know of my plan?

I headbutt Jeon Nomin, grab hold of his wrist, take the gun and shoot the guy behind me. I aim at his leg and he's now screaming in pain. The others guys in the warehouse seem to be fighting with other NIS agents. I didn't notice. The timing was perfect as the NIS team arrived when Yongguk spoke in my ear. Wait, I thought he didn't request for a mic? But this is not the time to think about that. I turn around and start throwing punches at Jeon Nomin who looked like his head was throbbing. After a few more punches, Jeon Nomin kicked me hard and I fell on my back. He ended up escaping. I let him escape!

"Himchan-ah, can you hear me?"

"Yongguk?"

"No time for name exchanges. Jeon Nomin is headed to the back! They have an escape van. Don't let Jeon Nomin get away!"

I begin to run after Jeon Nomin. The warehouse being dimly lit, I can't find my way easily but with Yongguk's help, I went through all the small pathways and was right on Jeon Nomin's trail. I went out the back of the warehouse and I see Jeon Nomin entering a van. It starts speeding and leaves the scene. It was too far off for me to see the plate number but all I know is that it's a black van. I curse at myself. 

➳➳➳➳➳

We arrive back at headquarters. We're in the underground facility, where interrogations commence. Yongguk and I were invited to interrogate one of the men from the warehouse. After all that happened back at the warehouse, Jeon Nomin was able to escape. The Chief kept on reminding me of my stupid mistake.

"You let him go! You let Jeon Nomin escape! How stupid can you be, Agent Kim?"

"Sir, I--" I try to defend myself.

"Sir, it's my fault."

'Yah... Bang Yongguk--'

"Chief, I led Agent Kim through a wrong path inside the warehouse and he was a few seconds too late because of my instruction. Any punishment that will be ordered upon Agent Kim, I wish to receive."

I don't need saving. Why the heck is he doing this?

"Stop acting like a noble hero, Agent Bang," the Chief caught on. "Hmm... fine. I won't order any punishment but I do wish for you two to work better next time. Your first task is to interrogate Moon Jongup. He's the youngest out of all the warehouse men we captured. You'll probably be able to score  some valuable information out of him. Can you do that?"

"Yes, sir!" "Yes, Chief!"

➳➳➳➳➳

Our interrogation with Moon Jongup just ended. I have just been ordered to capture Jeon Nomin who was spotted arriving in Busan. I'm not going on this trip alone. No. Of course it has to be with him, my one and only partner.

I'm going to Busan with Bang Yongguk.

TO BE CONTINUED...

➳➳➳➳➳

AUTHOR'S NOTES

Here is a new chapter! I'm sorry it's been a while since I updated. I had to focus on my thesis for school. I'm 4 months away from graduating and receiving my bachelor's degree in International Studies! Oh! And I recently found out the results of my TOPIK (Test of Proficiency in Korean) and I passed Level 2. And, we had a group presentation for our Korean class at the Korean Cultural Center. Plus, there's going to be a Dream K-Pop Fantasy Concert next year February - B.A.P, Block B and BTOB are in the line-up so I've been busy talking with my fellow staff at BTOB Philippines & Block B Philippines. ^^ We're planning a bunch of projects. 

But no matter how busy I got, I always remember that I have "ONCE" to write. The entire plot has been made, I just need to write it. I'm excited and want to reveal everything but I shouldn't. Hehe. 

I hope you like the update. I'm not good at writing action but this is the best I can do. In the next chapter, I want to focus on revealing Kim Himchan and Bang Yongguk's past (no, not their army past... their childhood past). We don't know much about Kim Himchan and Bang Yongguk. Everyone has a childhood and family background. What's theirs like? Aren't you curious? Hehe. WHAT DO YOU THINK THEIR CHILDHOOD WAS LIKE? Comment about it :D

COMMENT! SUBSCRIBE! UPVOTE!!

Special mention to my new 3 upvotersKawaii_Hana3454goldenkimonoshoosha4 Thank you very much <3