[ARC1.4] Enemy

ONCE 사랑에 빠졌다

I'm counting the hours until the start of my first mission. I still wonder why Chief Kim Byeong-ok asked me to be the bait. I have little to no experience in the field and other agents probably can do better. There are many options like Rank 3 field agent Yoon Doojoon. He's been in the NIS for 9 years. Ever since he graduated from high school he's been training to become part of the NIS. His partner Yoon Siyoon is just the same. There are many agents to choose from. Even Kim Sunggyu, a Rank 1 field agent, can do better than me. He's said it himself before, I haven't proven anything yet. What makes me qualified?

I look at the wall clock and it's almost 8 in the evening. The NIS headquarters is practically vacant. Only a few staff and I are left. I don't know where my partner is. Oh, that's right. He went out drinking. What's up with the agents and drinking?

I gather my things--which makes up my cellphone, jacket and messanger bag--and prepare to leave. In order to get to the elevators, one has to walk past Chief Kim's office. His office is lit up brightly and the door is opened enough to take a peek. I decide to say goodbye to the chief before heading out and I can hear he's on the phone. Maybe I should just go--

"--I promise you, the plan will work. The bait has been set."

'Bait? Ah... maybe he's talking about me and the mission...'

"He's supposed to stay alive, you ... I still don't know... I'll find out soon enough... Don't screw this up."

The chief puts down his phone and I quickly get out of hallway. I thought the conversation was about me but by the sound of the one-sided dialogue, I'm not entirely sure. Maybe it was a secret I'm not supposed to know. Realizing this, I get nervous and press the elevator's down button multiple times. 

"23... 22... 21..."

"Agent Kim Himchan, you're still here?"

"O-Oh... Yes, Chief. I'm just leaving now."

He pats me on the back and tells me 'good work'. I tell him the same. We don't share any words except that. The elevator ride is slightly awkward but tolerable. The elevator doors show our reflection. I fix up my hair a little as a part is standing too much and I look at the chief's reflection and he's wearing a gold ring. I focus on the ring that's covered in green jewels and an inscription on the side. He's wearing the ring on his index finger, a peculiar spot for a wedding ring. The doors open and we're on the ground floor.

"I'll go ahead, agent. Rest well. Tomorrow's a big day for you!" 

He gives me another pat and I bow, telling him to stay safe on his way home. Although his phone conversation seems mysterious, why do I have a bad feeling about it?

➳➳➳➳➳

I arrive at my apartment after grabbing a bite to eat on the way home. My apartment isn't that big but it's enough to make me feel at ease. I throw my jacket and bag on the couch and I grab a drink inside my refrigerator. I have a couple of apples, a tupperware of kimchi and a can of soda. I think that I should go grocery shopping but I just take the can of soda and close the refrigerator door, ignoring the need to go to the supermarket. It's too late anyways and I have no time. I have to focus on my mission. 

I go to the sofa and open my messanger bag. I bring out the case files and papers and re-read everything down to the last detail. I'm supposed to go the warehouse and signal the man in front that I'm interested in 'snacking' for '10 minutes' which is code for 1 pound of . I memorize everything and my thinking is interrupted by an out-of-beat knock on the door. I'm not expecting visitors at this hour.

I look through the peephole and I see Bang Yongguk.

"Yongguk? What's he doing here...?"

I open the door. Reeking of alcohol and grilled meat, Yongguk falls on top of me after losing his balance.

"Yah! Get off! You're... not exactly... light weight!!!"

I wiggle myself out and Yongguk is lying at the doorstep of my apartment. I pull him in and close the doors. I remove his shoes and help him up. What have I done to deserve this? He tries to balance himself on his wobbly feet and miraculously enough, after all the struggle, I bring him to my bedroom. He flops on top like a sack. It's sad, really. I give a displeasing shake of the head and turn to leave him but I feel a tug on my shirt. I look behind and Yongguk's hand is grabbing on to me like he's desperately trying to hold on. 

"Don't leave..." he says softly.

'No. Himchan, you can't fall for this. He's not your responsibility outside of work'

It's funny how my thoughts and body contradict each other because even though I know I should just leave, I don't. I sit on the floor beside the bed and face him. His eyes are slightly open and his hand is now on my shoulder. 

"Himchan-ah..." he calls me with a groggy voice.

"You're drunk. I should let you sober up--"

"No... I'm not drunk... I'm... I..."

"You're...what?"

Yongguk lifts his upper body with his hands and tries to sit up. He's shaky but he manages to slide down the bed and he's now beside me. He looks at me intently. His black eye has cleared slightly but traces of purple and green still cover the side of his eye. He doesn't seem to mind it as he's just gazing at me. 

"If you have something to say just say it. If you won't say anything, I'll just--"

At this moment, I feel like I'm floating. No, Yongguk's not kissing me. He's hugging me. One of his arms around my neck and his other arm over my back. I don't feel like I'm being suffocated, I feel... protected. He's protecting me. This is the kind of feeling I felt back in the army. 

The army...

I push Yongguk away and he looks disappointed.

"Can't I... just hug you?" 

"No. You can't."

"Why not? I know I was an for kissing you a few days ago but I won't do that anymore. I'll only kiss you if you allow me to. Can I kiss you?"

He leans in after asking the question. He's coming closer very slowly. My mind wants to slap him but my heart wants him. I feel vulnerable. I let him kiss me. His lips are now on mine and I can taste him again. He tastes bitter. Probably because of the alcohol. The kiss feels innocent though. Just a spur of the moment. A way for drunk Yongguk to feel satisfied.

But his kiss turns into an aggressive liplock and he slips his hand under my shirt.

"F-ck! Bang Yongguk! What are you doing?"

"It's okay... you want it, too."

"What the-- No! I f-cking don't!" 

He's forcing me down but I resist. He's not understanding the meaning of no. He's trying to lean in for another kiss but I head- him and he cries out in pain. I stand up and kick him in the stomach. He's now groaning. Good.

I kick Yongguk out of my apartment and he begs me to let him stay. I shut the door on his face without any remorse. He's not worth my time. He tries to have his way with me? That . He deserves to stay out.

Being fooled by Bang Yongguk is a mistake I never want to make again. How many times must I keep reminding myself this?

Bang Yongguk.

You are officially public enemy #1.

TO BE CONTINUED...


AUTHOR'S NOTES

Hi guys! This is a pretty short update, I know. But this is the last update I'll be giving you for a while. I'm going to be busy this entire week. I need to focus on school. I promise that by next week, I'll have a new chapter up! Remember when I said you'll either hate or love Yongguk... how do you feel now? lol.

You may think this chapter is a filler but it's not. I wrote it this way on purpose. I want you to focus on the title of this chapter: "ENEMY". This chapter is important, even if it's short. ^^

SUBSCRIBE~! COMMENT~! UPVOTE~! 

Special mention to my new 6 upvoters: BibieonniRK_kcklSpiceneeshikyo13Jonguppie_AnonSaitiLady Thank you, darlings <3