[ARC1.9] One Shot

ONCE 사랑에 빠졌다

It feels like it's been a week. I'm not even sure anymore. The crates around me reek like the salty sea. I've had nothing but water and crackers force fed to me by the same two henchmen that have been on my close watch since I've been here. I'm getting weak but I shouldn't give up now. I'm an NIS agent. I must stay strong. I must... be losing my mind. Am I hearing things? Maybe I am. I hear muffled noises coming from outside. Who are they? Are they... are they here to save me? I can hear them speaking. The voices don't sound familiar. Ah... they mustn't be here for me. Damn it! I don't want to lose hope but I'm thinking if I were to die, I'd rather die in any other place than in here. I'd rather kill myself now than be murdered by that bastard Kim Byeong-ok. 

As I was contemplating between gnawing my arm from my shoulder in order to be freed or just asking one of the henchmen to shoot me right then and there, I hear foot steps. They're speeding up and getting louder. A loud bang can be heard and I can hear a man out of breath and giving an order.

"Get him out!"

"What? Why?"

"A squad's on the way!"

A squad? A squad! I am being rescued! I want to break into a smile but it's not a time to celebrate. A henchman removes the potato sack that was on my head. The light almost blinds me but that's least of my worries now. The henchman holds a knife against my neck and I can feel the metal blade nearly cut through my skin. 

"If you try anything funny, I'll cut your throat."

A henchmen tells me in his deep Busan accent. He unties me and another henchman is handcuffing my wrists. I'm forced to stand up but I almost trip. I haven't used my legs for days, I've probably lost energy. One of the henchmen pulls me up by the back of my collar and forces me to stand on my feet and walk, a blade now pointed at my back.

"Move it."

They lead me out and I can hear sirens. But the two large men lead me away from the high pitched noise. We exit through the back and we rush to a car that's waiting. They open the car door and push me in. I'm lying on my side and I notice the person in the passenger's seat. 

"Happy to see me?"

Kim Byeong-ok. He takes one good look at me and he smirks. Where is he taking me now? One henchman is now in the driver's seat and the other at the back seat, beside me. I want to sit upright but the henchman points a gun at me. That's enough for me to guess that I shouldn't move.

"Oh, look... Bang Yongguk is here."

What? Did... Did I hear him right? Yongguk is here? 

"Step on it!" Kim Byeong-ok orders his henchman.

The henchman steps on the gas pedal and the car is now moving fast that it jerks me from my position and I fall on the floor of the car. I can hear gun shots firing from behind. One bullet fired hits right at the back of the head of the henchman beside me. His lifeless body falls on top of me. I try to get him off of me but with my limbs tied, I'm stuck.

I was not able to see if Yongguk was actually close. But with the swift passing of the oustide, I can tell we're not at the warehouse. The drive took only five to ten minutes. The henchman parks the car, steps out and pulls me out. He forces me on my feet again and we walk towards the edge of a cliff. I can easily see where the land meets the sea. I can easily spot the warehouse. But if Kim Byeong-ok is trying to escape, why here at a hilltop?

"On your knees, Rookie."

The henchman points a knife to my back and tells me to follow his boss. With no other choice, I am on my knees. I am already imagining this as my last day on earth. My eyes wander and all I see is land below and the sea beyond. If I fall to my death now, I could spare myself from losing my dignity from this heartless man. Just five steps and...

"Face me, Kim Himchan. Turn around."

With a heavy breath, I follow his order. I am now looking at Kim Byeong-ok, this bastard. He is pointing a gun at me. He has a smirk painted on his sweating face. Is this it? Will this be the end? At the corner of my eye, I see movement in the bushes. Kim Byeong-ok notices and shoots a bullet at the direction I'm looking. The gunshot echoes and birds fly out of the bushes. Kim Byeong-ok turns back around and points his gun at me. Again, I notice movement but this time it's faster. Someone shoots the henchman down and that someone is--

"Bang Yongguk. Finally, you've made it. You caught up to us. Good job."

Yongguk is out of breath but his arm is held up strongly. His gun aimed directly at Kim Byeong-ok. 

"Let him go," Yongguk demands. I haven't heard his voice in a long while. Seeing him made me feel relieved the sound of his deep voice calms me. 

Kim Byeong-ok only laughs. Kim Byeong-ok walks closer to me and he is now right beside me. His arm extended and gun aimed at my temple. I show no fear. I only focus my eyes on Bang Yongguk.

"Let Himchan go."

"On one condition"

"What condition?"

"Drop your weapon and I'll tell you."

"Don't f-cking joke with me."

"You think this is a joke, Bang Yongguk?"

I can hear the click of the gun. Just one pull of the trigger and I'm a dead man. Yongguk raises his arm and drops the gun from his hand. He kicks the gun away from him. 

"You're a good listener, Bang Yongguk. Your grandfather will be very proud."

"Shut the f-ck up. Just tell me what you want."

"Very well. I just need you to come with me to North Korea. And from there, you will be my ticket to riches."

"What makes you think I'll go with you?"

"Just one shot, Bang Yongguk. One shot and Kim Himchan is done for. Your choice."

Yongguk and I share careful glances. I try to tell him with my eyes that I'll be okay. He shouldn't follow Kim Byeong-ok to North Korea. If my death means the safety and security of our country, I'm willing to die now than live with shame. I close my eyes. I'm ready to die. If this is my last day, I live without regrets. I prepare myself for the pull of the trigger. I hear a click and...

BANG!!!

Is this it? Am I dead? Wait... I open my eyes and I see Kim Byeong-ok face down on the grass. What? How? I'm not dead? What happened?

I see in front of me is Bang Yongguk... and Jongup? He's here! How did Jongup end up here? Why is he holding a gun? What's going on?

Yongguk runs to my side and unlocks the handcuffs from my hand using a trick he learned from training. When my hands are freed, Yongguk hugs me tight. His body is shaking. I can feel his breath on my neck. I reluctantly return the hug. When Yongguk releases me, he puts his palm on my cheek and says in a soft voice, "I'm sorry."

I shake my head. What is he apologizing for? This idiot saved my life and he's apologizing.

"I'm sorry I couldn't come to you earlier. I... I couldn't protect you. I feel like an idiot. Himchan, I--"

Finally, he can shut up. This is the first time in a long time I've done this with my own initiative though. It's the first time in a long time, I'm kissing Yongguk. One reason is because I realize how mean I've been towards him and this kiss is my own way of apologizing. Another reason, he just needs to shut up once in a while. I pull away from the kiss and smile.

"You've always been an idiot," I say to him. 

He laughs at me. He helps me on my feet and I realize I haven't acknowledged Jongup. With my arm around Yongguk's shoulder, I use my other arm to gesture Jongup to come closer. 

"How did you know we were here?" I ask him.

"I turned myself in to the police but I said I wanted to help and cooperate in order to shut down Jeon Nomin's business so they called Bang Yongguk-nim. He planned out this entire thing."

"So... this was your doing?" 

Yongguk clears his throat and says nothing. He's probably embarrassed. He can be cute sometimes. 

"C'mon, we need to get going."

We begin to walk and I struggle to walk straight with my body weak and all. Jongup helps me as well. As we three walk back down the hill, Jongup shoots a question.

"So... you guys are gay or what?"

Yongguk slaps Jongup at the back of the head. I see Yongguk is taking this quite well.

Although Kim Byeong-ok will not anymore be a threat, this case is not over. With Jeon Nomin still out there, the peace of South Korea is still under threat. At least for the time being, Yongguk and I shall be well-prepared for what is to come.

 

END OF ARC 1

ARC 2 coming soon

➳➳➳➳➳

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hello everyone ! Thank you for the support for ONCE ! I know I haven't updated in a long time but do understand that I had a personal issue. I went on hiatus. But now I'm back but only temporarily. I check back time-to-time but I won't be on AFF regularly since I started work. But don't worry! I'll keep writing :) Just be patient with me.

This is the end of ARC 1. No, this is not the end of ONCE. Think of this as the end of Season 1 (ARC 1). Which means, a new story will be coming soon... the start of ARC 2. So that's another 9 or 10 chapters for ONCE ^^. The fans of ONCE, thank you so much! I'm not the best writer but I love the comments. You make me smile. Please do comment and spread the BangHim love<3