Chapter 9

Fateful Meeting

You walk out of the bathroom after washing your face, your hair packed in a messy ponytail as you trudge your way barefooted to the kitchen in your white night shirt and grey shorts.  It’s another sleepless night and you open the fridge, but you really didn’t have an appetite to eat.  The hunger that was brewing in you wasn’t exactly the type to be quenched with food, but more like with a certain presence of one person whose name happens to be Lee Junho.  The day had involved so much flirting and thinking that you felt you were going to blow up anytime soon.  It would seem you were way beyond your quota of coquetting and fawning for the day, not that you didn’t enjoy them, but it made you miss it when it was gone and now it feels so unreal, like it was all just a dream.

 

It didn’t help that silence had sliced the room so perfectly that you start to miss the laughter shared a few hours ago.  So, you decided to find soothing comfort in the alcohol in your fridge.  Opening up a can of beer and chugging down half of it before resting on the couch.  Junho has been pounding around in your brain for quite some time now and the image of him in your head was making it all the more difficult for you to get some decent, much needed sleep.  The silence was deafening, reminding you that you’re alone.  So you turn on the music and you turn it on loud, playing Moony’s Lounge Mix Flying Away.

 

You deluded yourself into not thinking about anything Junho for a moment as the music played, when a couple of minutes more you hear someone ringing your bell and knocking on your door.  You stood up to open your door wondering who could it be and if your music was too loud to awaken your neighbors once again.  You swung the door open with a can of beer in your hand and at that particular moment when your eyes met the figure of the man you longed to see, everything seemed like it was in slow motion.  It was like magic, getting exactly what you wish for…who knew it could be granted so fast.

 

You leaned onto the side of the door slowly absorbing Junho’s magnificent sight.  He was dressed in his sweat pants and white shirt that clung to his upper body like a leech showing off his manly curves and emphasizing the muscles sticking out from his sleeves.  His ever changing colored hair was unruly yet again like he had tossed and turned a number of times in bed or had an amazing with the girl pulling on his hair before he showed up in your front door.  You were almost drawn to him like a magnet as his tongue stuck out and caressed his lower lip before he bites it in between his teeth.

 

“Do you have company?”  He finally said cutting off the highly amplified erted illusions of him in your head.

 

You shake your head as you tried your hardest to hide the smile that was about to betray your real feelings.  “No one.  Was I being too loud again?”

 

“You sure?”  Junho asked incredulously looking over your shoulder.

 

You laughed at his response of doubt.  “You want to come in and check?”  You open your door wider offering to let him in.  Junho came in straight to the living room and plopped down comfortably on your couch as he finds no one in the room.  You smile as you watched him settle down casually in your world like he has always been part of it somehow.  Was I making too much noise again?”  You asked as you pulled a six-pack of good beer out of the fridge.

 

“No.  Not at all.”  He shakes his head.  “Can I have one too?”  He motions to you and you approach him with alcohol in hand.  You sat on the ottoman adjacent the couch and set down the beer on top of the table in front of him, from which he took one.  Junho looked down at the wide space between you and then back up at you with his most charming smile.  “Do I smell?”

 

Confused, you slightly jutted your head forward to take a little whiff of the air between you and him.  “I don’t think so.”  You muttered under your breath as you tilt your face to the side making him laugh at your reply, his tongue caught between his teeth.

 

Junho pats the couch beside him as he looked at you, color riding high on his cheeks.  “Get over here.”

 

You rolled your eyes at him, but sat beside him anyway, resting in the crook of his arm draped across the back of the couch.  “Better?”  You raised an eyebrow at him.

 

“Uhm.”  He nods.  “Can’t sleep?”

 

“Not a wink.  You?”

 

“Ditto.”  He said as you felt his fingers play on your shoulder.  “I like this song.”  He said as his mouth pursed and took a sip of his beer.

 

“So, to what do I owe the visit of the famous, Lee Junho?”  You looked at him cradling the can in your hands.

 

He sat up to meet your eyes, making sure to stay focused on your face as he spoke.  “I was worried about you.  Are your burns alright?”  He said with concern written all over his face.

 

“Yeah.”  You nodded with a smile.  “I told you it wasn’t so bad.  So, you came here at 2:45 in the morning to ask me about my burns?”

 

“Something like that.”  He let out a deep breath as he leans his head back, looking at your ceiling.  “So, do you mind giving me your number?”

 

“My number?”  You repeated as you were trying to figure out slowly what he was saying.

 

He nodded in response.  “So I won’t have to pound on your door at strange hours just to know how you are.”  His hand lifted to hand you his mobile.  “Or make up a thousand stupid excuses just to bump into you whenever I feel the need to see you or converse with you.”

 

A soft pink highlighted your cheeks.  “Why would you do something like that?”  You turned to face him with a bewildering expression, but took his mobile and entered your number in it anyway with a subdued smile.

 

Junho’s face crinkled in thought.  “What do you mean why?”

 

“I still can’t figure out why you are the way you are towards me.”  You hand him his mobile back.

 

“Why not?”

 

“I’m no one special, not famous, not anything.  And to be honest, I’m not even a fan.”  You took another drink as you tried to avoid putting too much meaning in his words and at the same time avoiding his face.  “And contrary to what you say, I’m not that interesting either.”

 

He shot you a glance telling you to stop speaking as he stared at you in utter disbelief.  “I don’t even know what to say to you.”  He leaned in towards you taking the beer away from your hand and setting it down the table along with his.  “You’re so dense!”  He ran his fingers through his hair in exasperation.

 

“What am I dense about?”  You snapped, barking back at him.

 

Junho shoved his left hand into the side of your hair holding your face in place.  You sat there unmoving with your heart pounding, your body on fire and your head screaming profanities.  You didn’t know what to do.  You were trapped between him and your couch.  He pressed his lips to yours giving it soft pecks a few times before he brushed his tongue over your lips as if searching for a response.  The feel of him against you sent a wave of emotion through you.

 

He pulled away after a few seconds and tried to steady his breathing as he kept your face close to his with his hands.  The kiss was similar to a rollercoaster ride in a way.  It was intense but short and made you slightly disoriented afterwards, but somehow you found yourself wanting more of that thrill to invade your body again.

 

“I should go.”  He said looking more confused than you are as he stood up rubbing the back of his neck.  He stared at you sitting frozen still in shock on the couch before his face brightened with a smile.  “I’ll call you, okay?”  You said nothing and he turned to leave and as he approached the door he looks back at you again.  “You’ll answer my call, right?  Right?”  You nodded your head lightly as you tried to make sense of things.

----

 

Junho sends a message to Chansung as he lay in bed wide awake with a huge smile on his face.

Deal’s off.