Chapter 20

Fateful Meeting

Science has thought you the impossible, the limits, the boundaries, the things that couldn’t be.  It tells you that it is scientifically impossible for two objects to occupy the same space at the same time just as it is not possible for two worlds to collide and remain in a state of equilibrium.  But then every once in a while, a miracle happens, seemingly breaking the laws of physics and all the restraints that the universe had stitched to put you in place.  All that unraveled with a look, a smile and a spark that turned into a bang that made it possible for you and Junho to walk down the same path.

 

The gentle breeze entwined around you fluttering through your hair and making the strands dance across your face.  It skittered along your skin causing a shiver to ripple down your spine making you fold your arms in an attempt to escape the chill.  Without a word, Junho ed his tan sports coat and placed it over your shoulders, which slowly enveloped your body in its warmth and his scent.  Surprisingly, he smells like citrus and candy intermingling with the sweet scent of air.  You watched everything, committing to memory every detail of the walk with him.

 

“Ready?”  Junho asked with an amused smile curving his lips as he held on to the door handles about ready to push his way in.

 

You did not even have the time to answer that question as his other friends gathered together with you and Junho and practically pushed you together with them inside the big hall as the theater doors opened.  The flashbulbs were blinding and you tried your hardest not to squint.  You have no idea how they managed to do this on a regular basis without going blind.  You stood off to the side as you watched the media yell for them to look left and right and over here and there with all the hand gestures that they could possibly think of as necessary.  You might have heard them yell the word, “fighting” a few times upon the request of the press.  It is your first time to attend a VVIP premiere and though you’re pretending to appear unfazed, this was all too intimidating to you.  There it was, the spot where the difference between you and him becomes apparent.  It’s like a reminder of how big of a star Junho is, apart from the guy who pops up at your door in the middle of the night to eat instant meals.  Eventually, Junho and the boys were done posing for the cameras and they joined you in the corner, obviously trying to blink away the dots in their eyes, an aftereffect from the flashes of all the cameras pointed their way.

 

“Has anyone ever gone blind from all that?”  You asked as they tried their hardest to adjust their eyes to the natural light. 

 

“Temporary blindness.”  Nichkhun said as he rubbed his eye with his palm.  “Nothing that can’t be fixed with a little rub.”

 

“So now where do you go?”  Your familiar grin was back in full power as you continued to be amazed by the new things coming your way.

 

“Well, if we were in the film, we would be hurrying over there.”  Junho points at another blindingly well-lit area where some of the reporters were interviewing the celebrities starring in the film.  “But since we’re not, we’re all just going to skip all that and go inside.”  Junho’s eyes narrowed as he his lips.  “And it’s not you, it’s we.”  He grabbed your hand and pulled you along with them.

 

You followed the boys in.  The spacious lobby filled with even more famous people swirling around.  You had to keep yourself from squealing as you saw about a dozen more celebrities you recognized.  This was the first big public event that Junho has invited you to and you wanted to behave appropriately, terrified of embarrassing yourself in front of everyone and making Junho look bad because of you.  You all sat in one row as the theater started filling in with you ending up sitting between Junho and Wooyoung.  You sat through the opening remarks and the theater slowly dimmed and the movie finally started.

 

“Do you need this back?”  You held on to his jacket over your shoulders.

 

“Keep it on.”  He smiled as he tried to button you up.

 

You leaned over to Junho your mouth pursed in exasperation as you tried to keep up with the not so well stitched story that you can’t seem to comprehend.  In the first place, you never really liked psychological thrillers.  “I have no idea what this film is about.”

 

“Me neither.”  He whispered back.

 

“Then why are we here again?”  Your eyes narrowed as you your lips.

 

“Because the boys and I are good friends with that actor.  He’s a good hyung.”  He pointed to the screen with his lips.  “And then later we’ll tell him how great the film is and how effective he is as an actor.”

 

“I don’t see how effective he is or how great the whole movie is.  Am I the only one who can’t understand this?”

 

“Don’t worry, it’s you and me both.”  He giggles at your complete bewilderment.

 

You turned to reply, but Junho was still facing you, leaning over so he could whisper in your ear making your faces almost collide with each other.  You stared awkwardly at each other, a mere millimeters apart for a few seconds that seemed so much longer in your head, before you snapped your head back around and fixed your unblinking eyes on the screen.  Oh how can he speed up your beating heart so fast that it felt like wanting to burst out of your chest?  You shot a look at him out of the corner of your eye and saw him watching the movie as if nothing had happened

 

You turned your head back to the screen just in time for the first big scare, when everything turned all bloody and gory.  You screamed and jumped in your seat like a little girl.  When you realized just what you have done, you slapped both hands over your mouth while your face flamed in embarrassment.  You looked over to Wooyoung to see him holding the side of his fist against his mouth to suppress a laugh.  You didn’t even have to look at Junho to see his shoulders shaking.  Now it’s certain, they will never take you to any of these things again.  “Goodbye premieres.  Goodbye celebrities.”  You thought to yourself remorsefully as you slumped down in your seat.

 

When the movie turned brutal again, you squeezed your eyes shut and bit your lower lip to keep yourself from screaming.  Junho put his arm around the back of your chair and leaned over to whisper.  “Do you need to get some air?  I could go with you.”

 

You shook your head keeping your eyes shut like your very life depended on it.  “Just tell me when I can look again.”

 

“Alright, but if you need to…”

 

It’s beyond your grasp why people found the need to make films like this and more than that why people would pay a good amount of money to watch movies with such themes.  You heard the sound of breaking bones and the knife piercing through flesh and the screams of a girl that echoed in horror causing you to tense up even more with your shoulders rising around your ears and your hands turning into fists.  Seeing this Junho took your hand and it until you are able to relax.  He finally leaned over and whispered softly to your ear.  “It’s safe to look now.”  Giving you the cue to open your eyes.  He didn’t let go of your hand but instead his thumb over the back of your hand whenever the scenes went intense.

 

The movie eventually ended and you pulled your hand back as soon as the lights came up.  There was an applause and speeches and more applause and after all that you and your group eventually made your way back out of the theater where more people seem to be waiting and waddling around. 

 

One of the actors from the movie that Junho had pointed out to was making his way towards you.  “How did you find it?”

 

“It was amazing.”  The boys chimed in.

 

“It was definitely something to think about hyung.”  Junho smiled as he shook his hand.  “And you were just so believable in your role, I was totally awe stricken.”

 

“Really?”  The actor had a shark-like grin.  Their conversation ensued, chatting more about the film and how wonderfully made it was.  “I’m glad you liked it.  Well, I have some other people I need to talk to.  It was nice to see you all here.  I’ll see you all at the after-party, okay?  I’ll check attendances.”

 

“Yes hyung!”  They answered aloud.

 

“Oh and Junho, bring your girlfriend to the party with you.”  He points to you with a smile, his voice loud enough to turn a few heads in the room.

 

“Oh it’s nothing like that hyung.  She’s not my girlfriend.”  Junho hurriedly answered in an equally loud voice as his eyes looked around.

 

You swallowed against the rising queasiness in your stomach as you stepped away from Junho.  Nothing he said was wrong, it just didn’t settle right in your ears.  You wondered if you could walk farther away, if that would stop you from entering this personal hell that always seemed to burn you alive.  Maybe you should give up on the idea that it could be possible.  Maybe it wasn’t for you.  Maybe HE isn’t for you.