Chapter 7

Fateful Meeting

The wager.

 

Dude, what’s the deal?  You call us over and then you make us wait.  Minjun glared at a seemingly disturbed looking Junho who was slowly dragging his feet making his way to the couch.  His voice surfacing above the noise the four other boys were making as they engage themselves with the video game console like the little kids that they are.

 

He plopped himself down on his bright plush wingback chair without a word as he tried to replay the events of the day in his head in silence.  It all started so well and in his prejudiced opinion, he believes his charms are already working on you and that you are somewhat already close to being smitten.  Junho shakes his head as he screws his eyes shut as the thought of his massive blunder ran across his mind yet again.  He hasn’t misread a girl so badly since the second grade, when he thought everyone liked bugs as much as he does.

 

Nichkhun turned his head towards Junho.  “Are you alright?”

 

Junho stayed quiet without a response making the boys stop what they were doing and began to stare at him in both bewilderment and concern.

 

“Junho!”  Wooyoung seated on the floor called out to him, but he was so lost in thought that he could not hear them.

 

Everyone was silent looking at Junho worriedly when Taecyeon stood up and smacked Junho at the back of his head without so much as a word of warning.  Hard.

 

“Ahhh!”  Junho grabbed the back of his head as his face contorted making the boys laugh.  There’s nothing like an old slapstick act to keep a bunch of rowdy boys happy.  “What the is wrong with you?”

 

“The is wrong with you?”  Taecyeon angrily said back as he raised his hand again to Junho who covered immediately as his eyes closed shut realizing he was in trouble.  “You’ve been out of it since you came in.”  Taecyeon lowers his hand as he sat back on the couch.”  “What happened to you?  Are you alright?”

 

“We kissed.”

 

“What?  With who?  The girl living upstairs?  The girl you punched in the nose?  How did it happen?”  The boys chimed in altogether that it was beginning to be incoherent. 

 

“Wow that was fast!”  Minjun said with a wide grin as he ruffled Junho’s hair with both hands.  “Was that all you did?”  He teased further smacking him lightly on the chest.

 

“Well almost.  We almost kissed.”  Junho stammered.

 

“What?  How can you almost kiss someone?”  Chansung’s eyebrows rising into a peak in the middle of his forehead as he tilted his head to the side.

 

Junho rubbed his forehead as he slouched back against the chair.  “She wasn’t really…well…she leaned in, I kissed her, only she wasn’t leaning in to kiss me, she was just taking something out of my hair and…well…it was a collision of noses and foreheads….and embarrassment and confusion.”

 

“And then?” Nichkhun asked.

 

“And then I stood up and left.”

 

The boys stared at each other for a bit in silence until Wooyoung broke it.  “Wow!  That’s quite anti-climactic.”  Wooyoung shakes his head.

 

“Actually, that’s quite stupid.”  Taecyeon laughs annoyingly.  “What are you five?  How could you just run away like that?”

 

“I agree.”  Chansung started to laugh as well.

 

“I know!  I know!”  Junho lowered his head as he blew out a mouthful of air.  “I’m a in’ moron!”

 

Minjun pats Junho at the back while he motioned to the boys to stop laughing.  “No you’re not.  It could happen to anyone.”

 

“No it doesn’t.” Wooyoung whispered as he fought back a smile.

 

“Well, good thing is…she lives just upstairs.  You can just make up for it anytime.” Nichkhun said.

 

Junho grabbed a lock of his own hair.  “She’s making me crazy!” 

 

“Well, if you like that hot chick so much, why don’t you just tell her?  It’ll make life so much easier.”  Taecyeon said in exasperation as he rubbed the side of his face with his hand.  “She likes you, you like her…and you live happily ever after…or at least until the next girl comes along for you.”

 

“She’s hot?”  Chansung’s eyes grew large as he turned towards Taecyeon.

 

“I never said she’s hot.”  Junho waved his hands dismissively.  “And I never said I liked her.  And most probably she doesn’t like me all that much either.”

 

“If she got into your head this much that you’re about to go crazy thinking about her, then you like her.  And she’s probably one hot lady for having you go through all these.”  Taecyeon said.

 

Junho closed his eyes and took a deep breath.  He’s not sure how he feels, but somehow, Taecyeon’s words are beginning to hit right on the mark with him.  “She’s just…interesting.”

 

“Interesting.”  Wooyoung bobs his head sarcastically.

 

“I think you’re scared of her.” Chansung said.

 

“Why would I be scared of her?”

 

“For the first time in a long time you haven’t met a girl who caught your eye and didn’t throw herself at you.  I think you’re scared you have to work hard to get her this time.”  Chansung said.  “And I get a feeling you can’t get this one.”

 

“Knife through the heart man!”  Junho holds his chest.  “Are you saying I couldn’t get this girl to like me?  Are you actually challenging me?”

 

“I’m just saying, maybe you’re not all that you think you are.” Chansung coaxes him, reeling him slowly to his bait.  “Maybe without the stage lights and those provocative lyrics you write, you’re just…well…a guy with a great .”

 

Junho narrowed his eyes at Chansung.  “I can make her like me.” he stated with confidence.

 

“She could like a friend…but will she just kiss anyone?” Chansung said.

 

“Meaning?”

 

“Meaning…if you could get her to kiss you…then maybe you are really who you claim to be…the great Lee Junho.” Chansung said.  “Let’s bet on it.  Let’s give it two weeks at least.  If she kisses you first…and on the lips of course, then I’ll be your slave for a week.  If you fail to have her kiss you, then you’re our slave for a week.”

 

“That would be easy.”

 

“Really?  Cause I think you should start practicing calling us masters.” Chansung teased.

 

“I don’t like this idea.” Taecyeon said shaking his head.

 

“Me neither.” Nichkhun seconded.

 

Junho smiles as he thought about the bet.  Two weeks to get you to kiss him would be like a walk in the park with his charms.  In his mind he thought, he’s getting the girl plus a slave.  Not bad.