Chapter 8

Fateful Meeting

With coffee at hand, Junho was talking to Chansung as they make their way to the elevators in Junho’s building about their schedule for next week that consisted of travelling to four different countries all packed into a single week.  They begin to worry at how tightly wound up this timetable is going to be that there might not even be time for a decent meal or even enough sleep.  They were so engrossed with their conversation that Junho took the corner at too sharp a turn and collided with you on your way out with his coffee spilling all over his hand and your white button down shirt down your dark denim jeans.  You grabbed his light jacket to keep yourself from falling while he reached out and caught you by the arm.

 

You slowly steadied yourself on your feet and loosened your hand on his jacket as you pull your shirt off your stinging and now probably burned skin underneath.  He turned his eyes towards you, your shirt first and then up your face to apologize for his clumsiness and finally noticed who you are.  “I’m so sorry.  I didn’t see you.  I was -”  Junho hurriedly pulls a handkerchief out of his pocket to offer you.

 

You shake your head as you looked up at him from under your lashes still holding on to your shirt.  “Do you think there will come a time when I see you and not be hurt?”

 

Chansung stepped forward to see the damage for himself.  “So this happens all the time, huh?”  You could hear a note of humor in his voice as he smiled offering his own handkerchief.  “Are you alright?”

 

“I’m fine.”  You smiled back and refused his handkerchief.  “It’s kind of a constant variable between him and me.”

 

“If it has been a constant variable then I guess it’s the universe’s way of making you take notice of him and vice versa.  Since sometimes a nudge isn’t enough, it’s giving you more than a light push…it’s more like a shove from the universe.”  Chansung elaborately expressed like he always does with his long tweets on his psychological babble.  He then pursed his lips and took a sip of his coffee.

 

Junho runs a hand over his own shirt as he felt flustered with embarrassment.  “You have to excuse him, his weird like that and I…uh…I didn’t mean to cause you harm.”  Junho said with the familiar guilt washing over him once again.

 

You made a sound that almost sounded like a laugh.  “I was kidding.”  You ran a hand through your hair with a smile as an awkward silence filled the air.  “Why do you always take my words so seriously?”

 

“Shouldn’t I take you seriously?  I was told girls wanted to be taken seriously all the time.”  Junho simply raised an eyebrow and then flashed his adorable smile that you just can’t resist but fall for.

 

Your reply was barely audible as you continued to wipe your shirt without looking at Junho.  “Not all the time and not all girls.”

 

“Is that so?  So, where are you off to?”  He scratches a finger on his head.

 

“Well, I guess back to my place.  I very well can’t leave with a map of coffee on my shirt, right?”  She presses the up button on the elevator panel.

 

“Again, I’m truly, deeply and regrettably sorry.”  Junho clasped both hands as if in prayer as he blinks repeatedly trying to act cute.

 

A soft touch of pink highlighted your cheeks as you mock complain rolling your eyes at him.  “Get on.”  You pointed to the open elevator door.

 

Once inside, you pressed both numbers of your floor and his on the elevator panel.  While Chansung took the chance to introduce himself to you.

 

“Hwang Chansung.”  He extends a hand.

 

“I know.  It’s quite hard to pretend not to know.”  You said and gave your name in return as you shook his hand.  Your voice slowly rising in pitch as you got increasingly overwhelmed to having to meet yet another celebrity out of the blue.

 

Chansung grinned and then points his stubby finger at you.  “So, you’re the girl from one floor up.  It’s a pleasure to finally meet you.”  Junho hits Chansung on the arm.

 

“The pleasure is mine.”  You tilt your head to the side as your eyebrows came together in the middle of your forehead.  “I’m the girl from one floor up?”  Junho hits Chansung again.  A little harder this time as Junho screwed his eyes shut in disbelief at Chansung’s slip.

 

“You pushed your floor on the panel, one floor up from Junho’s.”  Chansung wriggles his way out of the conversation smoothly as you alternated between looking at Chansung and Junho.

 

The elevator door opens to Junho’s floor and Junho pushes Chansung out a little too forcibly as you kept your finger on open at the panel waiting for both men to alight.  “Aren’t you getting off?”  You asked looking at Junho who crossed his arms over his chest as he stood right beside you.

 

“I need to make sure you’re alright.”  Junho scratched the back of his neck as he pointed at your shirt without directly looking at your face.  He reached towards your hand to have you release the button on the panel and before you knew it the elevator door was closing.

 

You could feel your heart starting to beat fast as you wet your suddenly dry lips.  “But I’m fine.  I just need to wash up and change.”

 

“You might have gotten burnt.”  His voice resonated calmly.

 

“I don’t think – “  The blush that had just started to fade came back with reinforcements on your face.

 

“I insist.”  He stubbornly replied, coaxing you with the most irresistible smile.

 

“Well, if Lee Junho insists.”  The elevator opens to your floor and you both set off to your place.  “Would you like a replacement of that coffee?”  You went towards the kitchen as soon as you got in.

 

“Let’s see that burn first.”  He came closer and grabbed at your shirt in an attempt to pull it up.

 

You swallowed a lump on your throat as you held his hand to stop it and backed a half step away just to have your back meet with the counter.  “I’ll take care of it.”  You voice came out as whisper.

 

“Sorry.”  Junho stepped back as well.  It was hard to gauge if his face was more red than yours at that moment.  He turned to take a kitchen towel, filling it with ice from the fridge.  “Just put this on it and if it’s still pretty bad, I could get you a burn ointment.  Does it sting?”

 

“It’s not so bad.  Just a little red.”  You pull your shirt up enough to reveal your belly.  “You didn’t have to go through all this trouble.”  You took the improvised ice pack from him and noticed his reddened hand.  “Was that from earlier too?”  You instinctively grabbed hold of his hand to look at it closer.

 

“It’s not as bad as yours.”  Junho shook his head, but didn’t take his hand away from yours.

 

You let go of his hand to get a bowl to fill with ice and water.  “Well, it looks bad.”  You took his hand again to dip it in the cold bowl, to which he winces a bit at the sudden change of temperature.  “Keep that in there for a while.”

 

“And you keep that ice pack on you.”

 

There was silence on both ends as you both tended to your pseudo wounds.  He kept stealing glances at you.  Looking when you’re not and then looking away when you do.  He finally caught your eyes and without so much as a word you both burst into laughter at the situation you both were in.

 

“Does this always have to happen to both of us every time we see each other?”  Junho blew out a mouthful of air as he approached you.  “I’m planning to see you more often and it’s not that I’m scared for me, but I’m kinda worried about you.  You always seem to get into trouble whenever I’m ar - ”

 

“To be honest…I’m just a big klutz”  You tucked a lock of hair behind your ear as you flashed a shy smile.  “So don’t take it to heart.  This and all those former ones weren’t exactly your fault.  It was more like mine.”

 

“You’re just trying to make me feel better.”

 

“What do I get from spilling out bulls to you?”  You paused and then continued at a much softer tone of voice.  “It’s not my style to please people, no matter how popular they are.”

 

“So, you don’t mind if I see you more often?”  He reached out his hand and placed it gently over yours.  “You know, maybe not just bump into you by accident, but more like an arranged, pre-meditated, planned, conceptualized meeting?”  He looked at you so hopeful that you didn’t know what to say.

 

When you didn’t jerk his hand away, he closed his long fingers over your hand.  “I don’t mind.  It would be like…”

 

“A date.  It will be a date.”

 

“Oooookay…a date.”  You tried hide the growing grin in your face as you feel your face getting hot with your blood pooling in your head.  But you couldn’t.  Your face was all red and you have a huge smile that extended from ear to ear.  “Well, I need to wash up and change.”

 

“Do you want me to wait?”  He smiled as he looked at you. 

 

You looked at him startled at the offer.  “Wait for what?”

 

“I was kidding.  You shouldn’t take me seriously all the time.”  He nudged you in the arm with a laugh.  “I’m gonna go.  Sorry again for that.”  He pointed at your shirt as he headed out.  “And thanks for this.”  He raises his hand.  “And I’ll see you soon.  The date…don’t forget the date.”  He said as he closes the door.

 

As soon as you heard your door click, you couldn’t help but shriek out in joy.  You’re still not sure what happened or how it happened.  But all you could get in your head is date….date….date.

 

Meanwhile, Junho sends a text message to Chansung as he stood in front of your door laughing upon hearing you scream.

 

Dude, I told you this was almost nothing, it’s like taking candy from a baby.  Get ready to lose and call me master.

Did she kiss you yet?

No, but she agreed to a date.

A date is different from a kiss you intellectually challeged bastard.

Actually, my parents had me after they got married making me not a bastard you idiot. Anyway, our bet will be a breeze.

Provided you don't fall in love with her, it'll be a breeze.  Where are you anyway? I'm still at your place.  Get here fast.

 

Junho shook his head with a laugh as he read Chansung's reply. He sighed deeply as he repeated Chansung's words to himself, provided he doesn't fall in love with her. Fall in love...