Chapter 22

Fateful Meeting

Someone once said happiness comes from places you least expected.  It’s usually the little everyday things that count more than the grand gestures that would come once in a lifetime and never happen again.  Sometimes it the sweet simple things in life that we remember the most, that we think are the most real.

 

You answered the knock on your door wearing your most comfortable viridian silk camiknicker festooned with flamingos and your hair in a messy bun on top of your head.  Your chin lowered as you looked over the top of your dark rimmed glasses at Junho’s slightly confused expression as he stood in the hallway wearing a perfectly tailored blue striped suit.  He was staring at you for a good few moments and then finally spoke as if you had jolted him back to reality from where it was he had been, lost in his head in an imaginary land far away.  “Something tells me you forgot our date…our first real date…as a couple.”  Junho enunciated every word, but found it difficult to keep his eyes above your neck.

 

Your hand flew to your forehead as your jaw dropped.  “Oh !  Sorry!  I got so caught up in schoolwork, I have this thesis, this paper I am writing and…is it really Saturday?”  Junho nodded as your brow crinkled in thought.  “I really had no idea and oh !  I’m still talking, aren’t I?  I am so sorry.”  You opened the door wider to let him in.”  Come in…please.  Give me five minutes to go change and -.”

 

Junho caught your hand as you spun around to run for your bedroom. “Don’t.”

 

“But, I can’t go out looking like this…”  You swiped your hand from your head to your toes, encompassing everything from you disheveled hair to you chipped pedicure.  “…and especially not when you’re looking like that.”  You pointed to him.  “Too much internet photos.”  You started to recall all the pictures taken from the theater.

 

He slowly shook his head.  “Well, yes, you can’t go out like that.  You shouldn’t even be answering the door like that.  I mean, don’t get me wrong, I like what I’m seeing, but what if it wasn’t me at the door?”  A muscle twitched in Junho’s jaw.  “Anyway, we’re not going out tonight.”

 

You stared at him blank faced for several seconds, your expression frozen.  “Are you mad?”

 

“No.  Well, about answering the door in provocatively dangerous clothes, yes, but other than that…no.”  His brow furrowed, but there was a hint of a smile sliding around the edges of his mouth.  “Disappointed…maybe.  But not in you though.”  He clarified hurriedly as he saw your eyes widening and starting to well up.  "It’s just that there’s been a lot of work and I’ve been away so much right after we finally became a couple and I really haven’t had a nice evening with you since then.  But you are going to stay here and do your writing or whatever you’re working on right now -”

 

“Well, I do have two papers due next week.”  You interrupted desperately wanting to explain your thoughtlessness and distraction.  “But I could finish it after dinner or whatever it is you had planned for tonight.”

 

Junho’s head tilted as he raised a reproachful eyebrow at you.  “But you wouldn’t be able to enjoy yourself tonight if we do that.  Your head would be back here stewing over what you would be doing.  So instead of forcing it, you’ll stay here and focus on what you have to finish.  Besides I had a long flight home, I’m quite tired myself.”

 

“Will you be going home then?”

 

“Are you kicking me out?”

 

“Not really…but did say you were tired.”  You smiled and he can see the mischief back in your eyes having replaced the earlier panic. 

 

“You could at least offer me to stay and rest here.’

 

“We live a flight of stairs apart Lee Junho.”  You couldn’t hide a smile.

 

“Still …”  He pouts.

 

“But what will you do if you stay here?”

 

“Well, take this off for one.” He quickly removed his suit jacket and lets it hang on the couch.  You wished he would take off more, but he just proceeded to roll his white long sleeved shirt.  “Now, we’re going to order some takeaways and then I’m going to stretch out on your couch and rest and find something to watch.”

 

Your face collapsed in a frown.  “Then we’d look like an old married couple staying in on a Saturday because we’re both responsible and easily fatigued and boring.”

 

“Would that be so bad?”  He grinned at you, hiding the intensity with which the image of you and him together on Saturdays for the rest of your lives had seared itself into his memory.

 

“Being responsible and fatigued and boring?”

 

Junho shook his head. “Being an old married couple staying together on Saturdays and Sundays and every single day of the week for as long as we both shall live.”

 

There was something deeper and rougher about Junho’s voice that made you stop thinking about how deeply ed up you were to be able to forget a date with a wonderful guy like Lee Junho and concentrate on his face.  He had that smile, that sweet smile that made his eyes smaller as it grew and made you weak in the knees.  You could feel your heart contract with a painful leap that left you trying to remember how to breathe. “Not at all…being an old married couple with you wouldn’t be bad at all…whatever day of the week it might be.”

 

“Good.”  He sounded relieved with your response and kissed you on the forehead.  “Now go do your thing and I’ll be right over there.”

 

You stole one more kiss from him before you finally returned to your table that was strewn with papers, books, a half-eaten bag of chips and the dregs of a cup of coffee.  An undetermined amount of time later, your chips and your coffee cup was replaced by warm food Junho had ordered, which you immediately took a bite off.  “Thanks Junho.  Exactly what I wanted...exactly what I needed.”

 

“The food that good?”

 

“No, you are.”  You paused and looked up at him from where he stood.

 

He approached and bent over you chair to kiss you slowly, savoring the feel of your lips for a long moment before letting go.  “Exactly the same thoughts I have had about you.”

 

She stretched up and kissed him again. “Have I told you, you look amazing tonight?  You look like an advert.”

 

“An advert?  For what?”

 

“Not sure.”  You teased.  “An expensive car maybe.  An expensive suit.  A credit card.”  You said with a smile.  “.”  You murmured under your breath and immediately lifted the glass to your lips to drink.

 

“I’m sorry what?  I don’t think I caught that last part.”  The glint in his eyes argues otherwise.  You laughed and he gave you one more kiss before he left you to your studies.  “I’ll be right over here if you need me.”  He points to the couch from across the room.  “Or even if you don’t need me.”

 

“You know what?  Take the bed.  You’ll be able to rest better there.”

 

“You don’t mind?”

 

“Not at all.  Go ahead.  The remote is on the nightstand by the bed.”  You smiled.

 

After what seemed to be an endless revision, finally, you hit save on the last thing you had to finish tonight and powered down your laptop.  With light steps you approached your bedroom only to find Junho sleeping soundly on your bed.  You loved watching him sleep.  The way his long lashes would brush the skin under his eyes.  He would look so peaceful, so innocent, so endearing.  Asleep he seems like a regular guy apart from his celebrity self that used to distance him from you.  You climbed into bed with him carefully trying not to wake him, but he stirs in his sleep without opening his eyes making you freeze and he turns his body towards you and drags you closer.  You smiled as you lean into him and press your gently on his soft lips.  Even with his eyes closed he responds to your kiss and his lips moves tenderly against yours.  Junho gives a low moan as you finally pulled away and his eyelids flutter open.  He gazes at you with unfocused eyes still half-asleep and yet looking so adorable.

 

“Do you mind if I sleep here a while longer?”  Junho whispers against your ear.

 

You draped an arm and a leg around him.  “I think I wouldn’t mind sleeping like this.”

 

“You know, we can keep doing this forever.”  He said happily as he held you closer to his body.

 

“This is quite comfy.”  You tightened your arms around his waist for a moment and then relaxed again.  “I feel –“

 

“Loved?”  His eyes caught yours.  He closed his eyes took a deep breath and then let it out before he opened his eyes again.  “Because I love you.”  He had never said those words before, you knew he liked you and found you interesting, but never expected him to love you.  “You know I love you right?”

 

“Not until now, I didn’t.”  Your smile widened and your heart fluttered.

 

“For someone so smart, you’re really quite stupid aren’t you?”  You could hear the laughter in Junho’s voice as he the strands of your hair back from your face.  “Loved you the moment I hit your nose with my fist.  And now that I have you … I’m never letting you go.”

 

“Good, cause I plan on doing just the same.  I love you Lee Junho.”