Chapter 2

Fateful Meeting

There would always be a moment in one’s life when you wish you have a remote control to the universe that you could just freeze frame a segment or rewind to a certain point and re-do or edit that scene.  Or even just to repeat and relive that moment again.  To feel the same way you did, like riding a rollercoaster, jumbling up all your emotions and heightening your senses on that three-minute ride…it was short, but exhilarating.

 

Someone once said the brief moments in your life are those hardest to forget.  They are the ones that shake you and make you see and feel things a little differently.  They’re the moments you find yourself remembering in the middle of a traffic jam with a smile.

 

Junho prowls the library once again, looking at the people around more than the books that lie on the shelves untouched.  He stops as he reaches the fiction section and lets a deep exhale escape from between his lips as he finds the aisle full of books, but empty of people.  He paces around the aisle a few times, looking at his watch and then looking around some more.  It was clear he wasn’t there for the dusty books.

 

Taecyeon creeps up from behind him, hitting Junho on the head with a book, catching him by surprise.  “Hey!  What are you doing here again?  You’re more here than I am and to think this is my school.” Taecyeon rests his hands on his waist as Junho turns around rubbing his head.  “Are you perhaps dating Lin again?”

 

“What?  No!” Junho shakes his head before pushing Taecyeon on the shoulder.

 

“I’ve seen her around in campus a lot lately and if that’s the reason why you’re…”

 

“No, believe me, I’ve seen her around too.  Same reason why I hid here in the first place.”

 

“Why hide?  Just stop coming here.  I’m just saying…it wasn’t a very nice break up.  You might end up getting hurt again or worse…you’ll get depressed again and go insane this time.  Not that you’re not crazy right now.”

 

“I’m not!” Junho said exasperated as he shuts his eyes holding onto the bridge of his nose.  “Not dating her, not trying to date her and not going crazy.”

 

“Then why do you come here all the freakin’ time?” Taecyeon leans in with his eyebrow arched at Junho.  “Is it me?  Are you missing me a lot?”

 

“How did you know?” Junho said with a grin as he swayed to nudge Taecyeon.

 

“Ah!  So cute.” Taecyeon pinched his cheek.  “So what is it really?”

 

Junho turned towards the shelf, running his finger along the spine of the books.  “Did you know Bambi was a boy?”

 

“Uhm.” Taecyeon nodded.  “You come here to read Bambi?” he tilts his head to the side in confusion.

 

“I met a girl here.  Oh!  You might know her.”

 

“What girl?”

 

“She’s about this tall and hair about to here.” Junho motions with his hands frantically.  “She’s got pretty eyes and has a nice smile.”

 

“Ahhh…” Taecyeon nods his head while Junho had a gleam of hope in his eyes.  “Yeah, I think I know that girl.”

 

A faint smile appears on Junho’s lips as he hears Taecyeon’s answer.  “Really?”

 

“Uhm.  There are two girls in my sociology class that fits that description, another three in my other class and about several others around the campus.  How stupid is that description?  I need at least a name dude!”

 

Junho hangs his head low in disappointment and shame.  “I don’t know her name.”

 

“How could you not know her name?”

 

“She just left without leaving her name.”

 

“Does she know who you are?”

 

“Uhm.” Junho nods his head lightly.  “She seems to know who I am.  It’s quite cute actually.  She knows who I am, but it’s like she doesn’t care…or she does but…I don’t know.” He smiles at the memory of her mumbling.

 

“Do…you…like…her…maybe?” Taecyeon asked with a grin.

 

“Not really.  Just…she seems interesting.”

 

“Ahhh…interesting.” Taecyeon teased.

 

“I hit her on the nose.” Junho laughed and blushed as he remembered how he met his mystery girl.  “Have you seen any girl with a swollen nose?”

 

“You hit a girl on the nose?  Seriously?  Are you insane?”

 

“It was an accident.  Anyway, help me find her?”

 

“Do I have a choice?”

 

“No.” Junho shakes his head as he laughed.

 

Your book is well overdue and you approach the librarian behind the desk to pay the fees and return your borrowed item with apologies.  The old lady looks at you from over her dark-rimmed glasses with a smile.  “Are you borrowing anything today?”

 

“Uhm.” You smiled back.  “I was thinking of re-reading a classic.”

 

She hands you back your ID and you your way.  Just then Taecyeon and Junho passed by on their way out.  You turned to walk towards a section quickly disappearing from the main aisle just as Junho turns around to take one quick look before going out of the library’s huge doors.