Page 4

Wrong Husband

Part 2

It was the day before I left the country. I asked her to go out with me since it’s our last day to see each other. I waited there patiently. And it’s odd that she’s late. Then, after a few moments I saw a walking figure. It’s her! I feel excited. She sit beside me and asked “Why did you call me?”.

 

I got nervous. I don’t know how to tell her. Even though she will say we can call/text each other; it’s not possible because, my parents already told me to avoid her and cut all our connections.  

 

“It’s…maybe. Maybe, no…actually” I can’t talk properly. I’m out of words! I don’t know what to say.

 

“Hey! You made me hurry to go here just to say that!” she laughed.

 

“No. it’s serious!” I said in a slightly loud voice.

 

I looked at her. Stared in her eyes. She avoided my stare.

 

“I’m going to abroad, I will study there…”

 

“Good for you! You’re rich!” she said, not looking at me and swaying her feet.

 

“No, it’s not that! My parents told me to avoid you! I’m here to tell you tha..”

 

“You’ll come back…right?” she said, still not looking at me. “If you will say ‘I don’t know’, you have to answer my second question!” she added.

 

I looked carefully at her. I thought she was crying. She had this unreadable face today.

 

“What’s your question?” I said in a low voice. Yeah, I don’t really know. I don’t want to leave this place. Because she’s here.

 

“That day, when you asked me if I’m the girl who saves you…that moment, did you really feel that you want to become friends with me? Or you just want to thank me?

 

Actually, that day I just want to thank her.

 

“Both” I said. “Why?” I added.

 

“It’s…I’m just asking” she said. “Have a safe trip!” she said then suddenly ran away.

 

I want to chase her but what else I would say? Told her to tell me ‘don’t go’? Of course, it hurts me. But I’m not giving up. I will go back and I will find her!

 

***

 

Years passed by. I was 19 when I went back to Korea. When I get off from the airplane and smell the familiar air, I suddenly remembered her. Actually, I didn’t forget about her.

 

I’m now working in our company, I’m helping my father. After work, like I always did before, I’m sitting in the bench near the river side. Hoping to see her. Months passed by, I never get tired sitting there after work and wait for her to show up.

 

Then one day, I saw a lady passed by but she’s back facing me. My heart beats fast. And the memory of riding my bike is flashing in my head. The moment, when I saw her shouting and warned me but I can’t clearly see her face because of the sunlight.

 

I followed her but she already enters the car. I sighed. Maybe it’s not her! But my heart doesn’t think the same.

 

But the day I’ve hoped finally came. I met Heejin again. And she becomes more beautiful.

 

***

I woke up and get ready to work. I looked at the piano again then sighed. I texted her.

 

Good morning! How are you?

I’m fine. How about you?

I’m fine. You’re going home soon right?

Yes. Don’t worry.

Okay. I want to hear you playing the piano again! Take care.

 

She didn’t reply after that.

 

After work, I went back to that small café just to see Heejin. Memories of her is flooding in my everytime I see her.