Kai

Best Friend

Byunghun sent me home after watching the soccer team’s training that day since he has a motorcycle. Actually, he always sends me home after school. He said he prefers doing it than making me walk alone.

 

“Your brother rides a motorcycle?” He asked me as he glanced at the motorcycle parked in front of the house

 

I returned him his helmet and fixed my hair. “Not that I could think of” I answered. “When will you buy another helmet?” I pouted. “I feel guilty”

 

Byunghun smirked. “Little girl, I don’t need a helmet. Dangerous is my name”

 

I pouted more “Then on Monday I’ll walk”

 

“Hey” He cupped my cheek with his hand “Don’t worry about me, okay? I can take care of myself.”

 

“Whatever you say” I gave up. I knew I could never win this conversation. He’s a stubborn kid. How can I?

 

“I’ll get going now” He bid goodbye then left

 

I sighed and went inside the house.

 

“I see you’re still hanging out with him” I voice said

 

I looked up and saw Jong In in front of me with crossed arm. “What did I tell you, Joo Eun?”

 

I rolled my eyes “Just this time?” I pretended to guess. “And since when did you ride a motorcycle?”

 

“He’s not nice, Joo Eun!” Jong In argued as he ignored my question

 

“How sure are you, Jong In?! You didn’t officially meet the guy!” I argued back. Jong In got into my nerves.

 

“I know because I care for you!” He spat.

 

“If you truly care for me, then you’d know that I’m in pain, Jong In. Ever since from the start” My eyes became moist. “You should have realized it. But instead, a random person did. He saw the pain in my eyes while you and Taemin didn’t!”

 

“Joo Eun…” Jong In softened but I cut him off before he could say anything else.

 

“Since Day 1, Jong In, Byunghun saw my pain. He felt pity towards me. But I hate that. You know what made me stay today and fight for him? It’s because he is sincere, Jong In. I didn’t feel any pity even though he knew I was in pain. I felt care” I admitted. “But with you…” I shook my head “I felt nothing. You and Taemin are just the same. You didn’t care anymore”

 

“You know that’s not true” Jong In muttered

 

“No!” I argued more “I know that it’s true while you don’t know that it is true, Jong In”. I explained “You changed, Jong In”

 

“I’m not listening to this” Jong In said as he turned to go

 

“Jong In…” I called and he looked back. “The key…” I said “I don’t want you intruding my personal space anymore” I continued.

 

He furrowed his eyebrows and unwillingly handed the key to the house. “Then this means we’re not best friends anymore”

 

“Our friendship ended long time ago…It ended since you gave all of your time to Exo…Kai…” I stated

 

“Then you don’t know me at all” He said with gritted teeth.

 

“So do you” I backfired calmly. I turned my head away from him “Just go”. With that, he left without another word. Not even a goodbye.

 

I let myself drop on the floor. I pulled my legs on my chest and sobbed silently.