Silent Mountain

Drabbles

-

 

Everything is quite still in Silent Mountain, where towering cliffs of shimmering blue ice rise up around Sehun. It’s difficult to see where they end. The light is pale and watery yet sharp as diamonds all at once. The diamonds cut streaks of light around the vast confines of the Mountain. They hit the frosted sides and make soulful keening noises that echo around for minutes before finally drifting off to some other part of the Mountain as if they’ve grown bored of their surroundings. Probably they will bounce around forever, still alive long after Sehun is dead and buried. He gets the feeling that he is in an otherworldly place. Silent Mountain is silent despite the diamond voices, for the voices are part of the silence. The air seems fraught with vibrant anticipation, but he does not know what he’s waiting for. He feels small and yet as if he has found the one place he can truly be at peace in. There is a long deep chasm just in front of him, and a wooden snow frosted bridge connecting the gap. He places one foot in front of the other, then switches feet, and this is the way he advances across the bridge. He is not scared of falling. There is nothing to be scared of here in Silent Mountain. Silent Mountain is a venerable place, a sublime place. He reveres Silent Mountain, and Silent Mountain reveres him. He puts his hand on the ice, and tinkling fills his ear, cool and distant. Snow has begun to fall gently, dusting him in transient silver tears. And all around him, always, the great blue frozen walls loom and reach into the clouds. He steps out of his body, insubstantial, and rises like he’s air, higher and higher until his body is just a dot and he can see the snow eddy into swirling whirling designs. And then, when even Silent Mountain is a dot to his eyes and there is nothing around him but white, white, white, he closes his eyes and he falls.

 

-