Breathe

Drabbles

-

 

Thoughts of Jongin rise unbidden to Kyungsoo’s mind, and his eyes burn with a familiar sting because that’s all he’s been doing for the past few days - crying his heart out. He doesn’t understand how it could have all gone so wrong in such as short time, or why it had to happen to him. Will he ever be able to go out into public again? Will people be able to see this stamp of heartbreak that’s been branded across his chest? Kyungsoo finds it hard to believe that people won’t be able to see the difference in him; how hurt, how wounded he is now. It will never be the same, but nobody will notice. Even as his own mother asks him what he would like to eat for dinner, Kyungsoo is surprised by the steady, normal voice that comes from his mouth. She nods, smiles at him, and leaves totally unsuspecting, without a single question asked.

 

How can she not tell? How can anybody not be able to tell?

 

Kyungsoo never thought heartbreak would be a physical pain, but it is. And it's hard to believe, but Kyungsoo knows the pain will pass. This terrible, aching feeling - as if his chest is being ripped apart - it will leave, it will fade as time soothes it away. It will never completely leave him, for nobody ever forgets their first heartbreak, but it will dull and wither slowly, like the autumn leaves.

 

It’s a beautiful day outside. Kyungsoo breathes out, wipes his eyes, and looks in the mirror. He tries to smile. The boy in the mirror smiles back, and it’s a shaky, uncertain smile, but a smile nevertheless. Kyungsoo smiles again, imagines his heart healing, and heads outside to enjoy the sun, because all things will pass, and nobody is denied a second chance to heal.

 

-