Dancing King

Drabbles

-

 

I can’t dance, Kris reminds himself for the millionth time. He’s sitting alone at the table as the sun bids the sky farewell. It’s a beautiful moment, but all Kris can think about is how the golden light is, annoyingly, hitting his eyes directly.

 

He sighs and smoothes down a crease on his suit. His friends have long since departed to dance their hearts out on the other side of the clearing. Kris longs to join them. It’s just that, well...

 

I really can’t dance, he reminds himself again, just in case he’s forgotten. The loud dance music reverberating through the air is like a siren song to Kris’ strained ears. Tables around him begin to empty, one by one. He drums his fingers on the table, looks around nonchalantly like he doesn’t care at all that he’s sitting by himself like an idiot.

 

He sighs again.

 

One of his friends looks over and raises an eyebrow at him. Though it’s too far a distance to hear what he’s saying, his mouth opens in an exaggerated ‘O’, and he beckons Kris over frantically, jumping up and down. Kris shakes his head and raises his shoulders in resignation of his awkward existence, feeling even worse. Finally, his friend rolls his eyes and strides over.

 

“What are you doing here, still sitting by yourself? I get that you love to eat, but c’mon, school year's over, man! Let’s go dance!” Amidst Kris’ weak protests, he’s dragged into the center of the undulating, energetic crowd. Like a lost herd member, he watches his friend helplessly and tries to imitate some of his dance moves. His spirits fly when his friend nods and grins. It’s too loud to hear anything, but Kris is pretty sure he’s mouthing, “Yeah, just like that! Attaboy!”

 

Okay, okay. You’re doing okay so far. So maybe...

 

Kris breaks out a few more moves and, to his utter shock, feels a smile overtake his face and soul. This feeling - it’s unfamiliar. He doesn’t quite know what to call it.

 

...so maybe you can dance.

 

Kris isn’t completely sure yet, but he thinks this feeling may just be happiness.

 

-

 

6.8.2015

 

Hey. So, banquet was really fun this year! I danced. I actually danced. I don’t know, but I feel great. I don’t think I’ve felt like this for a really, really long time. Tonight was one of the best nights of my life. I know times are going to get rough again in the future, because they always do. But I’m writing down this feeling right now so that when those times do come, I can look back at this and remember that life has lots of things worth living for. I guess that's all I wanted to say. See you~

 

-