calm of night

Unspoken.
Soyou tossed and turned. She couldn't sleep. She can't stop herself from thinking about Mad C oppa. She cant get the image of his tear stained face, so tired and forlorn. She picked up her phone and tiptoed her way to the living room, not wanting to wakr up the other members.

Mad Clown sat in the cold, staring blankly at the ripples forming in the body of water, beer in one hand cigarette in the other. He wanted a drink but he didnt like noisy clubs, or noisy ahjussis at roadside stands. He preferred to drink alone. He liked the serenity of the night, accompanied by the sounds of the tiny waves hitting banks of the river. He felt his phone vibrate. he looked at his screen. Soyou, he thought to himself.

"yeobsaeyo?"

"oppa..... it's me," the voice whispered.

"I know... why aren't u asleep jihyun ah... it's late," mad c answered. His voice soft but calm.

"Oppa... what are u doing?" Soyou said.

"Nothing much. Just sitting by the river. Clearing my thoughts," mad c said while exhaling the smoke he just inhaled.

"Oppa... r u smoking? hmmm are u drinking? R u ok?" Soyou said. A tad of urgency in her voice.
<
Mad C smiled to himself. "Ne. Are u telepathic jihyun ah... dun worry. I am fine. Go back to sleep jihyun ah....," mad c said smiling to himself over the phone.

Soyou heard the calmness in his voice and she felt relieved. And the way he calls her name makes her melt a little inside. soyou grabbed the pillow and lay on the couch. "Oppa... don't smoke and drink too much ok. Errm...Oppa.... talk to me a little while on the phone will you?"

The way she calls him oppa brings a smile to his face. It makes him all warm inside. "Of course... I'll talk to you a while. After that you have to sleep ok? " he said.

"Arasseoyo... oppa... is a breakup really painful?" Soyou asked innocently. She has never truly fallen in love, so she has no idea how it is like.

"It depends. On how much you love a person. You have never been in love?" Mad c answered.

"Ne. I've never had a serious relationship before.... i've had crushes but they go away after a while.... But oppa, if you love a person, why would you break up?" Soyou asked again, curiosity lingering in her voice.

"Sometimes, u love a person so much that you will sacrifice your own happiness. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. If you really love a person, u will let go... no matter how painful.... and sometimes..... " mad c paused mid sentence.

"Sometimes what... oppa?" "Sometimes.... your love gets betrayed.... and your sacrifice forgotten or disregarded. But that's how it is. For me, I have long forgiven. But I will never forget." Mad c continued his sentence, a tinge of pain and regret heard in his voice.

That night, they spoke till Madclown's battery died. They talked about love and breakups, about feelings in general. Maybe it was the alcohol that loosened him up a little, or was it soyou's hypnotising voice.... But Mad Clown felt his heart opening up a little. He didn't want to have any hopes. But he can't helped feeling touched by her concern. As they hung up with no promises for tomorrow and no sweet lies, mad clown smiled and tucked his phone back to his pocket. He stood up, looked at the sky and smiled all the way home.

soyou hugged her phone to sleep that night. She felt inexperienced in love listening to mad c's stories and theories on love. But maybe, just maybe she got a a peek into his heart, n that thought alone made her smile.

AUTHOR'S NOTE
I'm typing this on my fone in the office during lunch. Lol. So pardon me for typo errors! And keep the comments coming. N thank you for reading :)