a beginning

i can see ghosts (master's sun au)

 

it was one of the coldest night junhong had experienced. the night when he was left alone on a winter street, suddenly losing the warm embrace of his hyung.

though, as junhong finally found the strength to turn and return home, he told himself that yongguk was returning to his life, one in which he had his family, his friends and his dreams. it was a better future, and he should be glad yongguk had the chance to go back and pick up his life again.

***********

yongguk the ghost brought with him a cold chill whenever he came near to junhong. 

but that night, without yongguk around, he wrapped himself up in blankets but still felt the cold like never before.

**********

the next few days became a blur. junhong went about his routine, to attend lessons, to his part time job at the cafe, and then back home. he wondered how yongguk was - has he returned to his own body safely? has he woken from his long sleep and reunited with his family? has he totally forgotten about the days during his coma, or would he have a vague recollection of a boy who spent the time with him....

junhong shook his head fiercely. no way. the old man had said clearly that yongguk would definitely forget everything that happened during his time as a ghost.

after another lesson (in which he had no idea what the professor was talking about), he absentmindedly ordered a black coffee and sat down in the cafeteria. he knew he could get his answers if he would just go to the hospital; but what could he do or say if yongguk had really forgotten all about him? he would just be another stranger, who had for no reason barged into his hospital room.

anyway for all he knew, yongguk could have already been discharged while he was hesitating all these days.

"what's up dude, you look crushed." a hand slapped him on his back and he jolted. turning back, he saw youngjae, with daehyun, his two seniors.

youngjae furrowed his brows. "hey, you ok? you look like you got dumped."

junhong ran a hand across his face. "it's nothing, hyung. just.. thinking about stuff."

"you can't be okay! you are drinking black coffee. coffee. you hate coffee," daehyun piped up. "remember when i met you last time and you said the waitress gave you the wrong stuff?"

junhong looked down at his black coffee. he hadn't realised that he had ordered this; it was like an automatic response after buying numerous cups for yongguk when he was still here.

when he was still here.... he could still remember how yongguk would be so happy just to smell the aroma of the black liquid.

youngjae exchanged a worried look with daehyun as they looked at the younger boy staring sadly at his cup.

 

*******

it would be a lie to say junhong had forgotten all about that strange days living with a ghost, and actually liking a ghost so much that he was hurt for so long after.

 

but time flew as junhong was caught up in the studies for his final exams, and his part time job at the cafe, which became more and more popular, took up the rest of his time and energy. youngjae and daehyun also made a point to ask the younger out for lunch or for movie nights, making sure he's not as depressed as before. yongguk was always at the back of his mind, though he had learnt how to keep the precious memories close to his heart and be content with revisiting them once in a while. like when he walks back home on a cold dark night; when he sees a rap performance on tv; and when his nightmares, the ghosts with requests to ask from him, come and visit.

 

he still helps the ghosts whenever he can. it's strange, but he seems to have better luck with ghosts ever since yongguk had become his shield way back then. it has been months since they had parted, and the ghosts that have come are of the polite ones, and they don't try to scare junhong from dark alleys like those before. he wondered if it was something that yongguk had left behind on him; a sort of scary aura maybe?

******

junhong walked down the tree-lined street in his school, towards the gates. he had just ended a major paper and it was a really big relief; but he had another paper a few days later, and he wanted to squeeze in as much revision as he could for it. it was music history which he was never good at.

 

it was now almost a year since yongguk has left, and it was approaching winter again soon. the trees have starting shedding leaves, and the ground is scattered with many fallen golden ones. junhong kept his head down looking at the leaves, enjoying the scrunching beneath his shoes, when he knocked into someone's back.

 

"i'm so sorry," junhong mumbled and bowed a little. he was about to continue on his way when he heard a voice, the gravelly tone that he has come to memorize in his heart,

 

"it's okay."

 

junhong's head shot up immediately. his mind said "no way", but, there he was, short black hair with kind eyes, a small smile playing at his lips. and very much human.

 

as their gazes met, the man's smile faltered. he took a step forward.

 

"hey, have i seen you somewhere before?"

**********

 

i apologise for the longgggg lag. this is the ending i have been working towards, banglo starting afresh as two.. humans lol.

though this is the official ending of this story (TT), i am not marking this completed as i am thinking of adding short one-shots on the time they have spent together as ghost and ghost seer (and also to add more banglo fluff!) 

thankyou all kind subscribers and commenters!! <3 for sticking through with this! let's support BAP always yeah? :)