the truth

i can see ghosts (master's sun au)

for many days after that, junhong wasn't sure why he had trusted a ghost to protect him from other ghosts, but he mentally praised himself for the genius decision, because it worked.

 

walking home, or to work with yongguk beside him was like having a "Do Not Disturb" sign stuck on his forehead for all the ghosts to see. he would see the dead creep up on him, groaning or smiling creepily, before stopping in their tracks when yongguk gave them the death glare. junhong enjoyed seeing how those ghosts hesitated, before trudging away disappointedly.

 

life was good. he could live with this, he thought, because well he could get his sleep, and that meant he had time to focus on his work and books. and also, yongguk wasn't a difficult person to be with. he was laidback, he was funny, he had his trademark gummy smile which always seemed to make junhong feel better about things. also, he didn't need food, he helped to clean up, he….

 

"what are you smiling about?" the now familiar deep voice asked from beside him.

 

junhong hasn't realised his lips had curved upwards as he was lost in his thoughts. he blinked and rubbed his neck, smiling shyly. 

"nothing, hyung," he said as they reached the cafe. "so uh, i will see you later?"

 

"yeah, see ya." yongguk gave a wave before leaving. junhong watched till the older disappeared into a shimmering glow before he entered the cafe.

 

he knew yongguk went to visit his parents or his friends during the times they were not together. sighing, he thought about how hard it must be for yongguk. and also, how long could the ghost stay beside him? it is strange that he could stay, between life and death, for such a long time. putting on his apron, the younger decided he would find out more about yongguk's death after work today.

 

*********

 

yongguk materialized in front of his family home, halfway across Seoul from where junhong's cafe was at. he had been alternating between here, himchan's place, and sometimes the places he had gone then - then when he was living - like the bar, his old school, and even the old pc bang.

 

still, home was where he often came.

 

it has been over a month since he had lived the life of the dead. he remembered when he first came back and saw his family grief, and he had teared together, next to them. now, some normalcy has come back to the household. as yongguk walked through the door, his sister was wearing her shoes, ready for work. his brother and father were nowhere to be seen.

 

"umma, i'm leaving!" his sister shouted.

 

yongguk heard a faint "come back safely!" coming from the back of the house. he waved to his sister, though he did not get a wave back in response.

 

he walked into the house, finally seeing his mother in his old room he used to share with his brother. the woman was putting in the bedsheets on his bed, as if all was normal, and yongguk was going to come home tonight and curl up there. somehow the scene brought tears to his eyes.

 

giving the sheets a last pat, mrs bang sat down heavily on her second son's bed, the lines on her face seemingly more defined since a month ago. she picked up a family portrait sitting on the shelf beside, fingers gently caressing the frame.

 

"yongguk… yongguk ah.. umma misses you," her voice was soft, and gentle, "if you come back, umma won't force you to give up music anymore, arasseo?…"

 

"ne, umma…" tears rolled down his cheeks as he knelt beside the woman. he tried to hug her, but as always, he is reminded of his cruel fate, as pale fingers clutch at air.

 

mrs bang dabbed at her eyes, and continued, "yongguk ah, it doesn't matter how long you sleep, umma will wait for you. i know you will wake up, won't you? you will come back, and i will make all the dishes that you like…"

 

yongguk pulled away, confusedly at his mother. he was dead, wasn't he? how could he ever wake up and go back?

 

he finally understood what happened after his mother's next line.

 

******

 

junhong pulled out his phone as soon as he was able to take a break. huddled in the small locker room, he entered "bang yongguk" into the search bar, and waited as the results loaded.

 

his jaw fell at the first hit. "Bang Yongguk rap - xx club 120215". 

 

so he wasn't lying. junhong made a mental note to come back to this link.

 

he scrolled past a few more rap and club performances links, before he came to a news article.

 

his eyes widened as he took in the headline and blurb, and he took in the information in shock.

 

"Gang fight in Mapo, 5 injured, 1 in critical condition"

A gang fight in a warehouse led to one gang member injured critically. 23-year-old Bang Yongguk is in a coma….

 

*******

 

the truth is coming out :)
i am so late with this im so sorry ;_;
thanks to all new subbies! i will speed uppppp~ :D