Deciding

Just Friends

You went for a run the next morning after waking up to help clear your mind. You thought about what had happened with Byunghee and Howon over the past few days and how you wanted to deal with it. You had finally deciding which way your heart was leaning when you finished showering and got dressed to leave for work. 

Thankfully working with high schoolers on their English aided in preventing your from dwelling on your current situation too much. Before you knew it, the day was ending and you were able to go home. When you got in, you put your bag away and changed into more comfortable clothes.

You made your way to the kitchen to start on dinner when your phone went off. You grabbed it out of your pocket and saw a text message from Howon.

“Have you eaten yet?”

“Nope, why?” You replied, confused as to why he was asking.

“Come to the door.” You looked up at your front door before walking to it. You opened it to find Howon standing outside with bags of Chinese food. You smiled at him.

“I’m sorry I had to cancel on you last night, but I hoped this might keep you from being upset with me.” He had an apologetic look on his face. You invited him in immediately, much to his relief.

“I wasn’t ever mad at you Howon. I understand that sometimes you have schedules that you can’t get out of.” You explained.

“I’m still grateful. Most girls usually hate that kind of thing.”

“I’m not most girls, Lee Howon.” You remarked with a wink. He stared at you as though he was dazed for a moment.

“You definitely are not most girls.” He said softly. You felt your cheeks heat up and you looked away from him. He helped you dish out food for the both of you then you both started eating.

“This is so good!” You said between bites.

“It’s from one of my favorite restaurants. I go there with my group often when we have nights off. You nodded before continuing the conversation. You asked about his group members and about his life as an idol. Even after growing up with Byunghee, you were still intrigued to hear about idol life. When you finished eating, Howon helped you clean up while telling you stories about some their strangest fan gifts.

“A fan really gave you that?” You exclaimed, turning to look at him. Your quick movement accidentally splashed some of the soapy water on his shirt. Your eyes widened and you gasped. “I’m so sorry Howon! It was an accident. Let me help clean it.” Before you could turn however, Howon had stuck his hand into the water and splashed some of it down your front.

“There, now we are even.” He laughed. You gawked at him before the two of you launched into a war, getting water and bubbles all over the kitchen. As you were closer to the sink, you managed to splash more water at him than he was at you. After you soaked the front of his shirt, Howon threw his hands in the air.

“I give up! You win!” He smiled playfully.

“What do I win?” You teased. Howon hesitated for a moment but then leaned down to capture your lips. His lips were soft, but he led the kiss easily. He pulled away a little before opening his eyes to look into yours. You stared at each other for a moment before he started to back away.

“That wasn’t enough of a reward.” You said, surging forward to kiss him again. When the two of you broke apart, you smiled up at him, a little embarrassed by how aggressive you had been. “I’m sorry, I’m not usually like this.” Howon reached up to tuck some of your hair behind your ear.

“I didn’t mind it.” He replied with a smile. You both blushed. He reached for you to pull you into his arms again. Your head rested against his chest comfortably. You couldn’t help but notice how well you fit against his body. “How long should I wait before I ask you to be my girlfriend?” He said softly.

“That depends.” He pulled back to look at you, confused by your answer. “How long do I have to wait to call you my boyfriend?” You smiled. Howon laughed.

“You don’t have to wait anymore.” He said before pulling you back into the hug.

“Then neither do you.” Howon nodded after you spoke.

“Will you be my girlfriend?” He asked softly. You smiled against his chest and tightened your arms around him. You nodded and he chuckled. “Then I guess I should be a good boyfriend and help clean up the mess we made.” You both looked around at the still wet kitchen and laughed.