Assertive

Just Friends

A month.

It had been a month since you had last seen your best friend.

Byunghee was on tour with MBLAQ. Sure, you were happy that they were so popular that they needed to visit so many countries and have shows for their fans. But you missed your best friend. You wanted him back. The time apart had done nothing but make you miss him.

Howon had tried to fill the void, but he also had his own busy schedules to tend to. As a result, you now found yourself on your bed. You were on your back with your feet in the air against the wall. You had put on reruns of Running Man, but it wasn’t holding your attention like it normally did.

You suddenly popped up from the bed with an idea. You grabbed your phone and called Mi Rae. “Please tell me you aren’t busy?” you asked hesitantly. It was a beautiful Friday afternoon and you were dying to go out.

“Nope! Want to go shopping? I need to get some new outfits for work.”

“Yes! I need to get out of my apartment.”

Mi Rae laughed at your quick response. “I’ll pick you up in 10?”

“Sounds good. See you soon!” You hung up the phone and bounced around to get ready. You didn’t really need anything, but you could always use a new dress or something for when you went out with Howon.

True to her word, Mi Rae was at your door almost exactly 10 minutes later. You threw your arms around her neck when you saw her. “You have no idea how long I’ve been doing nothing.”

“Why aren’t you going out?” Her confusion showing on her face.

“You’ve been busy with work, Byunghee is on tour, and Howon is busy doing...Howon-ie things.” You shrugged. You didn’t really know what Howon had been up to recently. He always just said ‘work’. He used to tell you if he was filming, or recording, or at a photoshoot. Now all you got was ‘work’. You sighed a bit. Maybe now that the two of you had been together for a bit, the flutters you had experienced in the beginning of the relationship were gone. Maybe this was natural for relationships. You didn’t have much experience to know.

“Howon-ie things?” Mi Rae raised an eyebrow.

“He hasn’t kept me updated much.” You shrugged again, slowly relaying your thoughts out loud. As you explained this to Mi Rae, her brows creased more.

“Well, then let’s forget about all of that for an afternoon and just have fun!” You smiled at your friend’s enthusiasm. She always had a way to perk up and feel happier.

The two of you ran around to different stores, trying on all sorts of clothes. Mi Rae seemed to have forgotten buying work clothes and had instead made it her mission to try on the silliest and most ridiculous outfits she could find.

At one store, she grabbed a dress you both thought looked awful on the hanger and dared you to try it on. There was no getting out of her dares so you found a changing room. When you emerged, her jaw dropped.

“Is that really the same dress we pulled? It looks incredible!” You smiled as you caught a glimpse of yourself in the mirror. You spun around, admiring the dress from different angles. “I can’t believe its the same dress!” Mi Rae continued as she smiled at you. “If this dress doesn’t get Howon’s attention, nothing will. You’re getting it.” You nodded before returning to the changing room.

When you came out again, the dress draped over your arm, you turned to your friend. “Should we find you those work clothes now?”

“Ah! I almost forgot! Thanks for reminding me!” She then ran off to look at pants. You pulled out your phone as you found a chair to wait in.

Still nothing.

You sighed. Just as you were about to put your phone back in your purse, Mi Rae’s voice was in your head. ‘You don’t have to wait for him to text you first you know.’ But he is busy. If he had free time then he would’ve texted you already. ‘Just be assertive. Do you want to wait around all day for a call that may never come or actually get to talk to the boy?’ Even in your head Mi Rae won the arguments.

You typed out a new message, “I hope you’re doing well. I miss you~ ♥”. You nodded slightly, deciding that it didn’t sound needy before hitting send. The real Mi Rae found you a while later, her new work outfits packed in a large bag.

“All done!” She waved the bag in front of you. “Did you arrange a date with Howon to show off your fancy new dress?”

“No, but I did text him. He must be busy though, he hasn’t replied yet.”

Mi Rae waved it off. “I’m sure he’ll reply soon, don’t worry about it.”

--------------------------------------

Later that night your phone rang just as you got into bed. You jumped for it, hoping Howon had finally responded to your text. What you found surprised you.

“I miss you too. We’ll be home soon and then we can catch up, okay? - Byunghee”

============================================================

A/N: I'm sorry I'm so bad at updating guys! :(

I inadvertently ended up taking a much needed break away from writing.

But I'm back now, so I'll try to update frequently! :)