Being "Friendly"

Just Friends

The next day you weren’t in a hurry to do anything. It was Saturday and you didn’t feel like getting up to run. Instead, you brushed your hair back and changed out of your pajamas into lounge clothes. Since it was getting colder, you put on sweat pants, a tank top and a cardigan. You had slept late into the morning so you decided to skip breakfast and go straight into lunch.

You slowly made your way to the kitchen to whip something together when there was a knock on the door. You opened it to find Howon staring at you. He looked tired, but you didn’t want to express your concern too much.

“Baby,” he said quietly, not yet stepping inside. “I’m really sorry about last night. I don’t remember much, but I saw that I called you. I probably said something really stupid and I’m sorry. I won’t drink that much again, even if the others take me out.” He really looked apologetic and you didn’t have it in your heart to be mad at him when he had that puppy dog expression.

“Just get in here,” you said giving him a small smile. Howon looked up, surprised at your reaction. He walked in, closing the door behind him. After he slipped his shoes off, you wrapped your arms around his neck. He hesitantly put his own around you, pulling you into a hug. “I forgive you, but don’t do it again,” you whispered in his ear.

“I won’t, I promise.” His grip tightened around you as you snuggled against his warm chest. Even though it had only been a few days, you really missed him. You breathed in his scent, closing your eyes. Suddenly you could really see yourself falling for Howon. You could picture yourself dating him for a long time, the relationship becoming more serious, getting married, buying a house, having kids. You smiled at the images flashing through your mind.

You pulled away from his chest, looking into his eyes. “I was going to make some lunch, are you hungry?” Howon nodded. You released him from your grip, but he kept his hold on you. You looked back up at him. He smiled before leaning down to kiss you.

“Remember the last time we were in the kitchen together?” He asked against your lips. You grinned at the memory of your water fight.

“Of course I remember. Maybe this time we’ll manage not to make such a mess.”

“I make no promises on my part.” Howon said with chuckle. You moved up to kiss him again before making your way into the kitchen. You gave Howon the simple task of making the rice while you prepared the chicken and vegetables. It was a very simple meal, but it always tasted good to you. When you finished, you both dished up your food and moved to the dining table to eat.

You spent the meal talking and joking around. When you finished, Howon helped you with the dishes. The two of you kept eyeing each other to see if the other would start another messy fight. However, you managed to make it through washing the dishes while keeping all the water safely in the sink.

Afterwards, the two of you plopped down on the couch comfortably. You settled into Howon’s arms while he your hair. It felt warm and comfortable against him. When you started feeling like you could fall asleep, someone knocked on your door. You groaned, making Howon laugh. “You stay here, I’ll get it,” he said softly. You nodded, snuggled against the now Howon-less couch.

“Byunghee-ssi, what are you doing here?” Your eyes popped open. You sat up from the couch in time to see Byunghee pushing by Howon and entering your apartment. Neither of them looked happy about seeing the other.

“Oppa, you’re here?” you asked confused.

“I was coming to see if you wanted to do something, but obviously you’re busy,” Byunghee huffed. The way the two would glare at each other when one of them wasn’t looking amused you. Howon settled back into his spot on the couch. When he reached to pull you back onto his lap, you pushed his hands away. You missed the look he gave you as you patted the empty spot on the couch. Byunghee sat down, putting you in the middle of the two men.

You shifted a bit, leaning against Howon but facing Byunghee. “How is your day going Oppa?” You asked happily.

“It’s alright. Work was a bit busy.” You noticed Byunghee wasn’t being as forthcoming as he normally was. You figured that was due to Howon’s presence. While their dislike for each other was amusing, it was also frustrating. You jumped up from the couch, turning around to stare at them.

“Are you two going to be like this for very long?” You asked, folding your arms while glancing between them. Neither of them would meet your eyes but they both grumbled. You sighed. “Can’t you at least try to get along for my sake? Oppa, I’ve known you forever. You’ve been my best friend since before I’ve known what the word friend meant. And Howon, you’re my boyfriend. I care about you. I don’t want to lose either of you. So can’t you try to get along?”

Both boys stared at you while you spoke. When you finished, Byunghee sighed. You knew that meant that he was giving in to your desire. You turned to stare at Howon. He met your eyes for a moment before speaking. “If it means that much to you, then I will try my best baby.” You smiled, grabbing both of their hands and pulling them up.

“Excellent! Then you should go do something boyish together.”

“Boyish?” Byunghee chuckled.

“I don’t know. Watch sports, or play sports, or whatever it is boys do when girls aren’t around,” you said waving them out the door. “I don’t want to hear from either of you until you are at least twenty percent friends.”

“I don’t think that is something you can measure with percentages,” Howon argued. You gave him a look and he quickly shut his mouth.

“Away with you two. Go be friendly. And don’t think I won’t find out what happened, so behave.” With that they both shuffled out the door reluctantly. You shut it quickly, not giving them the chance to come back.

------------------------------------------

“How long have they been gone?” Mi Rae asked through the phone.

“About five hours. Should I be worried?” You were laying on the couch, your legs hanging over one of the arm rests.

“Nah, what is the worst that can happen?”

“They try to kill each other?”

“They both like you enough not to do anything. Don’t worry about it too much, they’ll be fine. Besides, you told them not to come back until they were friendly.”

“I can’t believe that actually worked,” you giggled.

“They both like you a lot, that’s all I know. I have to go, but update me when you hear both sides of the story.”

“I will, don’t worry. Bye Mi Rae!” You said before hanging up. You sat up, flicking through your text messages to make sure you didn’t miss anything when Byunghee came huffing into your apartment. He was grumbling as he sat down on the couch. You waited a moment to see if Howon was following behind him, but he wasn’t.

“Are you okay Oppa?” You leaned against Byunghee’s shoulder as he continued to look disgruntled.

“Your boyfriend tried to hook me up with some blonde at the bar,” he scoffed. “Like I’m even interested in those types of girls.”

“I thought your type was girl?” Byunghee flicked your forehead for that. He stood up from the couch and began pacing in front of you.

“Of course it isn’t. My type of girl is…” he paused. “Nevermind, it isn’t important.”

“So where did you leave Howon?”

“He got called into work,” Byunghee waved his arm in the direction of the door as if that told you exactly where Howon had gone.

You nodded in reply. “So then you have the responsibility of feeding me dinner, right?” Byunghee’s eyes narrowed at you before he sighed.

“Alright, alright. Time to feed the princess.”