Stranger Danger

Strangers Series

Life as Kim Myungsoo never been easy. Since he was young, everyone already gave him a responsibility made him as role models, not only for his brother but also for all his friends.

So, when Myungsoo decide not pursuing corporate career although he graduated with laude from SNU and choose as freelance photographer, all the admirations that given by everyone he knew just vanish without any tracking.

But at that time Myungsoo feel free, that he finally able to become himself.

 

Why photographer? It’s started when he was in second year of his university day. With everything always the same, its almost Myungsoo acted in Groundhog Day movie, everything the same. Myungsoo woke up, Myungsoo off to campus, Myungsoo had lunch in cafeteria, Myungsoo spent free time a library, Myungsoo heading home.

So one day Myungsoo try to break the habit by spent the free time at a park near the campus, off course for reading his materials but with different scene.

 

The park that day got enough people to enjoy. There’s a bunch children play football with a tall man always yelling at them, presumably their coach. There’s some couples having picnic that those drama pictured. There’s people use it as another place for day napping.

With the sun not so bright because it’s already fall but the cold winter still not there, make everything runs slowly.

 

Myungsoo placed the paper bag of his coffee and sandwich that he just bought the convenient store on the way to the park beside him, and start to take out his book until a ball stop near his foot.

 

“Sorry, can I have the ball?” the tall man that Myungsoo notice running toward him.

 

“Sorry, the boys kick too strong, there’s no damage, right?” the tall man ask Myungsoo while taking the ball.

Myungsoo just shake his head.

 

“Cool, have fun,” the tall man wave a little while he running back to the children.

 

Myungsoo didn't give any reply to the tall man question, or wave back. But the rest of the afternoon Myungsoo’s book stay inside the bag, all Myungsoo attention went to the tall man that in the end join the children play football.

Silently Myungsoo smile at every action the tall man did.

 

“Hyung,”

“Yes,”

“Were you in the park?”

“Yes,”

“Okay,”

 

Since that day, in every free time Myungsoo had, he will head to the park, with small hope that the tall man will be there. And that small hope was answered, the tall man always there with the children, although not always playing football, sometimes they did baseball.

 

“Hyung,”

“Yes,”

“What do you want for your birthday?”

“Camera,”

“Okay,”

 

Never in the world Myungsoo ask for anything for his birthday, so when he said camera because he want to save the tall man memory into something real and never think that it lead him to different path. Also for his brother with easy agreed for the camera, never imagine that it changes everything of their life.

 

Myungsoo still learn how to use the camera, somehow Moonsoo gifted the camera that not for beginner. So, it took for Myungsoo a week to read the entire manual to do the basic with his new camera.

 

The first thing Myungsoo took was his mother’s back while preparing dinner, at that time Myungsoo didn't feel anything. The second thing was Moonsoo laughing face while watching TV, same with the first picture, Myungsoo just saw it as captured moments.

The third picture Myungsoo took was the tall man, even though the face not really visible but his radiant of happiness (Myungsoo knew when he took the picture the tall man was laughing with the children), and Myungsoo’s heart skip a beat.

 

Myungsoo went to the park and taking pictures, a lot of pictures of the tall man until one day Myungsoo didn't see him anymore even though Myungsoo came to the park every day. The children still there but the tall man wasn't.

 

Since that day Myungsoo’s stop taking picture of people, only nature, stuffs, never people even though it’s his family that asking, also Myungsoo stop came to the park, but Myungsoo still taking pictures.

On Myungsoo’s final year in university, one of his professors saw his pictures and told him to send it to his friend that working for national geography. Without any thought, Myungsoo sent it and the comment about it change Myungsoo’s life.

 

Without talking to his parents, Myungsoo prepared everything in secret that after his graduation he will work as his professor’s friend assistant. Myungsoo will travel the world with no one knew, until the day he said out loud that he will be leaving for Africa tomorrow.

 

That's the story when Myungsoo was young, and now Myungsoo back again the same park with Sungyeol and baby Soo in his stroller after visiting his parents. The park that he once found his truly heart desire in life and maybe his first love, the tall man.

 

“You came to this park too?”

“What do you mean too?”

“Well, before I move, I play in this park, I actually the leader of the children,”

“What?”

“Yeah, I taught them football, baseball, you know sport,”

“Really?”

“Yes. Myungsoo-ah, can you buy me the wet tissue, I think I forgot,”

“Sure,”

 

Myungsoo look at baby Soo (they still hasn't decide the full name), he still sleeping and somehow the style of sleeping kind of look likes Sungyeol. Really amazing when children copy the parents.

 

Myungsoo notice the convenient store still the same like back he was in university, just the owner seems changed. Looks similar but younger, maybe it's the son or grandson.

 

“Hi, welcome,”

Myungsoo handed him the wet tissue and couples cold drinks for him and Sungyeol.

“Two wet tissue, four colas. Anything else?”

“No, just that,”

“Alright, $30,09,”

“Keep the change,” Myungsoo gave him $31.

“Thank you,”

 

“Sorry, you look familiar,” the owner, said while put everything the plastic bag.

“Ah, yeah. I used to come to the park years ago,”

“Yes, you were,”

“Eh?”

“You are the weird guy that taking picture of Yeollie, right?”

“Eh?”

“I played football at that park, Yeollie was our coach until he’s moving,”

“Ah,”

“Don't worry, even though you were weird but you are cool now,” the owner laugh and Myungsoo join him with smile.

 

Myungsoo left the convenient store with amazed feeling, somehow destiny really funny that his passion for life started and his love of his life actually he found at the same place.

 

“Sungyeol, I love you,” Myungsoo whispered to the wind.