I Remember

Right here where we started

“I’ll leave the two of you to discuss the rest of it.”

 

I stare as Youngjae leaves the meeting room, busy looking over at his phone, completely unaware of the gloom on my face. I hope he didn’t leave.

 

The door shuts with a soft click and that was all that can be heard.

 

The silence is ringing but I can’t find anything to want to start the discussion.

 

I flip through the pages, checking on every detail, anything to avoid speaking.

 

There is nothing for me to say.

 

I didn’t want to say anything.

 

When there is nothing left for me to look through, I tidy up the sheets and forced myself to talk.

 

I turn over to him, at the adjacent side of the table and found him looking face down, expression probably as lifeless as my own.

 

There are circles under his eyes and the glint is lost in them. His cheeks are sunken. He got skinnier again.

 

But that is none of my business anymore.

 

I don’t care anymore.

 

“The colour schemes are fine.”

 

He looks up suddenly, vague shock on his face as he quickly averts his eyes from mine, hands grabbing onto the papers before him. He lost his composure.

 

I look to my hand.

 

“But they requested for a darker theme. The lighter colours have to be scrapped.”

 

He nods stiffly and writes over his notes with jerky scratches of his pencil. I look over to the other side.

 

When the sound of writing ceased, I stand up and grab my files to leave.

 

I can’t take it anymore.

 

My hand was on the door when I hear a voice so familiar yet so far away. I wouldn’t have recognized it.

 

It was shaky. It was unsure. It was raspy. It was sad. It was nothing like him.

 

“Happy Birthday.”

 

And I close the door behind me.

 

Again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Sorry Yongguk.” Youngjae smiles apologetically at me and I return the smile with a shrug.

 

It doesn’t really matter.

 

They don’t say anything else about it and I’m grateful. Ever since the day it ended everyone shunned the topic wildly.

 

I needed it.

 

Anything vaguely reminding will drive me crazy.

 

I was surprised that I didn’t leave immediately when I saw him in the room, looking horrified and pale.

 

It ended.

 

So don’t remind me again.

 

Don’t.