Need You Now

The Fact

 

[Song: Need You Now - Lady Antebellum]

 

Doojoon watched Heejin closely as she adjusted his clothes at the final fitting the night before they filmed the MV for Fiction.

 

“Are the pants too tight?” she asked as she adjusted the hem of his pants and looked up.

 

Those are the first words you say to me in 3 years?He simply shook his head.

 

Heejin knew he was watching her, which made her feel incredibly uncomfortable. She got up and adjusted his vest. “I’ll make the vest a little looser for tomorrow.”

 

“Heejin-ah! Make my pants looser!” complained Gikwang. “They’re so tight I feel like everyone can see my stuff!”

 

She laughed and blushed a little, resisting the urge to look, “You need to bring that up to the President. He wanted yours especially tight.”

 

“Yah, it’s inappropriate to tell a girl that!” said Doojoon suddenly, annoyed that Gikwang talked about his ‘stuff’ in front of Heejin.

 

After an awkward pause with everyone looking at Doojoon, Heejin quickly moved onto Dongwoon’s outfit.

 

“What’s with Doojoon and Heejin? Is there something going on?” whispered Junhyung to Yoseob.

 

“Yeah, that was super weird!” agreed Hyunseung. The two had already been updated on Heejin’s past as a JYP trainee but no one ever said anything about her and Doojoon, especially not in front of him.

 

Yoseob sighed, “When we were trainees at JYP, they used to date. Heejin was actually the person who first taught Doojoon hyung how to sing and dance properly. They were together for almost a year.”

 

“And then…?” prodded Junhyung.

 

“After Doojoon’s elimination on Hot Blood, he became more determined than ever to debut, which she understood because she was once in that position. But he started to have less and less time for her and she got busy with college entrance exams and applications.” Yoseob took a deep breath, thinking back on their trainee days, “They used to be the perfect couple. I mean, you’d never seen anyone happier. They never fought, they always looked like they were having so much fun with each other. All the trainees were jealous of them. We all know it’s hard to find time for a relationship as a trainee.”

 

“Get to the point already!” whispered an eager Hyunseung.

 

“Apparently they had a huge fight one day and decided to break up. But it was amicable. She still came to practices to see him and they were still really good friends. Basically, everything remained the same except their relationship status. Then things took a turn for the worse when she got accepted to a school in New York City and decided to go. I’d never seen him that sad, not even after Hot Blood.”

 

“If things didn’t end on that bad of a note, why is it so awkward?” asked Junhyung.

 

Yoseob shrugged. “I don’t know. I heard he went after her before she left, but I guess it was no use. I think he still has feelings for her, but…I don’t know if it’s reciprocated.”

 

The 3 of them nodded, knowing it was going to be a long road ahead for Doojoon and Heejin as well as all the members.

 

The next morning, everyone met at the set early in the morning and they all knew it would be a long day. Beast had barely slept because they had dance practice basically all night and Heejin had been working on the alterations for the outfits.

 

After Heejin instructed the make-up artists on the style each member was to be done in, she went to check on the outfits to make sure everything was ready.

 

“Excuse me, is Kim Heejin here?” asked a deep voice to the makeup artist working on Doojoon.

 

She pointed in the direction of the outfits and Doojoon watched as he headed over to Heejin and covered her eyes.

 

“Oppa?” she said in shock as she turned around to see him. “What are you doing here?”

 

Oppa? Who is this guy?Doojoon silently glared at him through the mirror.

 

The handsome 180cm man smiled widely. “I brought you some coffee and a hoodie. You never wear enough clothing and I thought the AC would be on indoors.”

 

Heejin smiled back. “Komawo.”

 

She talks to him in informal speech? She never did that with me.Doojoon continued to listen.

 

“But you shouldn’t be here. They’re going to start filming soon.”

 

“Arasso. I just wanted to see you.”

 

She looked away uncomfortably.

 

“Give me a call when you’re done.”

 

“It might be really late…” she began.

 

“It’s okay, just call me.”

 

Heejin nodded and the man left.

 

“Heejin noona, you’re really amazing. You’ve only been back a week and you already have a boyfriend?” said Dongwoon.

 

She smiled sheepishly. “He’s not my boyfriend, just…someone I’m seeing.”

 

“Sure, sure noona. He comes here at 6am to give you coffee and a sweatshirt and he’s just someone you’re seeing?” Dongwoon sighed deeply. “I wish I had someone to do that for me.”

 

She poked at his head. “Go do your makeup.”

 

By the end of the day, Beast still hadn’t finished filming and the boys were exhausted. All but Doojoon slept during dinner. He had too much on his mind.

 

He found Heejin sitting at the makeup counter, sketching in a book.

 

“Hey,” Doojoon said awkwardly as he sat on the chair next to her.

 

Heejing immediately sat up and looked at him. "Hey…”

 

“What are you doing?” He nodded towards the notebook.

 

“Just preparing outfits for the rest of your promotions.”

 

“Make sure to make me look better than the rest okay?” Doojoon joked.

 

She smiled. Oh, how he had missed that smile. “Of course, oppa.”

 

“So how’ve you been?” He desperately wanted to know. The closest he’s been to finding out anything about her was through her blog, which was only visible to her friends and generally in English which made it really difficult for him; he always had to use Google translator. While she regularly updated it, it didn’t tell him much except that she had a great time in college, made a lot of friends, went to study abroad in Europe, and graduated a year early.

 

“Pretty good. New York was great. I think I enjoyed college a little too much though. I’m not used to waking up at normal hours.” Heejin had missed talking to Doojoon. No matter how many people she met, they could never replace the comfort he provided her. “I’ve been keeping track of you guys. Congrats on debuting!”

 

“Thanks, but we have a long way to go.”

 

“Always the perfectionist.”

 

“Like you aren’t?” teased Doojoon. “I remember a certain instance where our dance teacher told you a move looked awkward and you practiced that onepart for 7 hours straight.”

 

Heejin laughed. “Oh God, I was crazy back then. Thank goodness I didn’t debut because I would have driven myself and those around me insane with my obsessions.”

 

They talked for the next half hour and Doojoon didn’t feel tired at all despite only having 3 hours of sleep.

 

Heejin’s phone suddenly rang around midnight. She looked at it and furrowed her eyebrows. “Yoboseyo?”

 

Doojoon heard a male voice on the other line. She gave him an apologetic look and moved away to take the phone call. He couldn’t help eavesdropping though.

 

“Oppa? Why are you calling so late?” The other line said something. “Are you drunk?”

 

Why is this person calling her when he’s drunk?Doojoon wondered.

 

“Arasso. Mhm. Oppa, you should go home soon and not drink so much. I have to go but get home safe okay?”

 

Heejin’s soft tone suddenly reminded Doojoon of the past.

 

[FLASHBACK]

 

Doojoon had gone out with some of the members of 2AM and 2PM pre-debut and before he was officially with Heejin. He knew he was lightweight but considering he was one of the younger people there, they pressured him into drinking more and more. Eventually Doojoon was completely drunk and stepped out for some fresh air. For some reason, he decided to walk to Heejin’s apartment, which was nearby. Everyone had been teasing him about her all night. Nearly all the trainees at JYP knew he liked her, but no one seemed to know if she felt the same way. Heejin was close to a lot of guys and treated them all basically the same.

 

He called her while outside of her building.

 

“Yoboseyo?” answered a sleepy sounding Heejin.

 

“Heejin-ah!”

 

“Doojoon oppa? It’s almost 2AM, why are you calling so late?”

 

“Bogoshipeo Heejin-ah.”

 

“Are you drunk? Oppa, you know you can’t handle that much alcohol. Just go home okay?”

 

“But I’m downstairs.”

 

“What?” He heard shuffling on the other line, probably her going to the window to look for him. Doojoon drunkenly waved his hand toward her window. “Do you see me?”

 

“Yes. Why are you here?” There was more shuffling on the other line.

 

“I told you! I missed you.”

 

Suddenly the front door opened and Heejin pulled him inside. “You’re talking really loud. Come with me.”

 

She dragged him into her apartment and sat him on the couch as she got him a glass of water. As she was pouring the water, he suddenly came up behind her and hugged her. Heejin was surprised, “What are you doing?”

 

“You know, right?”

 

“Know what?”

 

“How much I like you.”

 

“Oppa…”

 

“Don’t respond right now. I know I’m drunk. If I wasn’t, I may never say this to you. I’ve never liked anyone as much as I like you. It might sound stupid but I look forward to training everyday because there’s a chance I’ll see you. You’re my dream girl and even if you’ll never like me, I just want you to know that.”

 

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

Who knew that drunken confession would have led to the happiest moments of his life? Now all Doojoon could do was watch her answer another man’s drunken phone calls.