You Could Be Happy

The Fact

 

[Song: You Could Be Happy - Snow Patrol]

 

Heejin opened Love The One You’re With by Emily Giffin as she got on the airplane at Miami International Airport. She had gone to Germany and Miami for their fashion weeks right after Hyuna’s music show tapings ended.

 

It was nice to take a mini-vacation after the last few weeks, but she was ready to get back to Seoul and back to work. Heejin had so many new ideas from fashion week, she’d barely had time to draw them all. She knew her work would become even busier once she got back because YG just hired her for 2NE1’s I Am The Best promotions.

 

“Flight attendants, please prepare for landing.”

 

Heejin closed her book, buckled her seatbelt again, and leaned back while looking out the window. She had missed Hyunshik a lot while she was gone as well as Beast. Things were just too quiet without all of them around.

 

As soon as she got off the plane, she headed to the office, refusing to give into the jetlag that was slowly creeping up on her. Heejin took down some notes as the temporary coordinator updated her on what happened during Beast’s Asia tour since she’d been gone.

 

Beast was coming in for dance practice when they bumped into Heejin walking out of the meeting room.

 

“Heejin-ah, you’re back?” asked Hyunseung, “We missed you! The temp didn’t know what style I liked so she kept trying to put all these random accessories on me.” Hyunseung pouted.

 

She smiled. “I just got back.” She looked behind them. “Where’s Doojoon oppa? I have his birthday present.”

 

Heejin had to leave for Berlin on Doojoon’s birthday so she wasn’t able to get him anything. It’s over 2 weeks late, but she got the perfect present for him: a jersey from the 2006 Germany World Cup.

 

All the members turned to look at Yoseob. They’d agreed previously that he’d be the one to tell her since they’d known each other the longest.

 

Yoseob smiled and pulled Heejin aside as the others headed to the practice room. “Heejin-ah, there’s something you should know before you see it in a few minutes.”

 

“What?” She got a bad feeling. Yoseob looked too serious for it to be anything good.

 

“Doojoon hyung is…dating Hyuna.”

 

Her stomach dropped and she knew her face was frozen but quickly tried to recover. “Oh? That’s good for them. How…?”

 

“We don’t really know details but it happened a few days after you left. He just suddenly asked her on a date and before any of us knew it, they were an official couple.”

 

Heejin nodded slowly as laughter started resonating in the hallway and both her and Yoseob turned to see Hyuna with her arm linked with Doojoon’s. Heejin made eye contact with Doojoon as Hyuna grabbed his arm tighter. She knew Heejin would come back eventually and she was afraid of what would happen once she did. Hyuna had been shocked when Doojoon suddenly asked her to dinner and even more so when he said he wanted to give the two of them a try.

 

The past week had been the best week of her life, even better than when 4minute won their first music show. Hyuna’s eyes shifted from Heejin to Doojoon, whose smile had disappeared momentarily.

 

[FLASHBACK]

 

“Oppa, you know Heejin unni’s coming back tomorrow right?” Hyuna asked reluctantly the night before as they sat in Beast’s dorm watching television while the other members were out.

 

Doojoon made a noise that indicated he did know and continued to be glued to the screen.

 

“We’re going to be okay, right?” She just needed a little reassurance. She needed to know he wasn’t going to let Heejin get between them. After all these years, she didn’t want to lose him.

 

Doojoon turned to her and saw her worried expression. He knew what she was really asking and he truly didn’t want to hurt her. He wanted to tell her he didn’t have feelings for Heejin anymore, that he no longer thought of her before going to bed every night. But that would all be a lie, so he said what he believed at the moment. “We’ll be fine. I’m with you now. She’s a part of my past and now just someone I work with.”

 

Hyuna leaned back, relieved that he said that. She desperately wanted to believe him.

 

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

Heejin had recovered from the shock of seeing them in that position and pasted a smile on her face. “Oppa, I got you something for your birthday,” she held out a bag that contained the nicely wrapped present, “It’s something I saw when I was in Germany and thought of you.”

 

Doojoon took the present and thanked her, putting his smile back on his face too.

 

“Congratulations to the 2 of you too,” Heejin said as she looked at him and Hyuna, “I just heard the news. You guys look good together.” As she spoke these words, her stomach turned. I wanted him to move on. I want him to be happy. But why do I feel sick at the sight of him with someone else?

 

“Thank you, unni,” Hyuna replied as she looked at Doojoon, “I couldn’t have asked for a better boyfriend.”

 

Doojoon’s eyes could have pierced Heejin but she refused to look him in the eye.

 

Yoseob sensed the tension and he felt bad for the two. Why couldn’t they just admit that they still had feelings for each other? Why bring these other people into this mess? He sighed inwardly.

 

“Well, I have to go meet with Designer Park and unpack.” Heejin quickly left before anyone could say anything to her.

 

I need Hyunshik. I need to see him right now. Heejin thought as she scrambled to her meeting with Designer Park. She needed to see him to make sure she was with the right person.

 

A week passed since the incident. Heejin remained professional at all times with Doojoon and he did the same. They weren’t as close as they used to be, but weren’t on bad terms either. Both of them put most of their efforts into their respective relationships.

 

The most painful days were the rehearsals for the upcoming United Cube concert, where she had to see Doojoon and Hyuna all the time at fittings, rehearsals, the company practice room, everywhere. Their sweetness nauseated her; she was never one for PDA and they expressed their relationship every moment possible. Hyuna would bring him lunch, Doojoon would hold her bags, she would wipe his sweat after a long rehearsal, he’d put a jacket on her when the AC . It was everything Heejin and Doojoon used to do back in the day. Thankfully these were still few since the concert was 3 weeks away.

 

Is that what we used to look like? Was happiness radiating from us just like it is from them?Heejin couldn’t help but wonder whenever she saw them together. Yes, she was happy with Hyunshik, but sometimes she just couldn’t control her thoughts.

 

Soon enough, it was the beginning of August and Heejin’s 22nd birthday. Hyunshik threw a dinner party for her with some close friends including Beast.

 

Doojoon and Heejin ended up sitting right across from one another. He got there early with Hyuna due to a cancellation in his schedule. They got Heejin a Michael Kors clutch together and she thanked them for it as soon as they came in.

 

“This is for the best woman I know besides my mother,” Hyunshik began a toast in the middle of dinner, “It’s been 22 years since she was born and it only took a little more than 21 years for her to get to me. I’m so grateful to have her in my life. I’m not a very mushy person nor am I very good with words so I’ll just give her this present.” He handed her a small box from Cartier.

 

Heejin was surprised. “I thought you already gave me my present.” He’d given her the latest iPhone earlier that day.

 

Hyunshik smiled. “Just open it.”

 

She gasped when she saw the object inside. It was a Heart of Cartier necklace in white gold with diamonds in the middle of the heart. Heejin stood up and gave him the biggest hug.

 

“And now I’ve given you my heart. Happy birthday, Heejin,” Hyunshik whispered as they hugged and everyone watching clapped.

 

Doojoon watched as Hyunshik helped Heejin put on the necklace. Does she still remember?

 

[FLASHBACK]

 

It was Heejin’s 18th birthday and the first one she was spending with Doojoon. They both took the day off to spend it together since her parents couldn’t come to Korea for her birthday this year.

 

He planned everything out. Doojoon picked her up in the morning and they had brunch at a nearby café that contained her favorite American breakfast foods: eggs, bacon, toast, the works. Then they went to Lotte World, where she had always wanted to go but either her friends were always busy or she was.

 

Heejin laughed and blushed in embarrassment when Doojoon pulled out couple tees. Luckily they were blue, both of their favorite colors and not a girly color. She was impressed that he took her here even though he’s scared of heights.

 

As manly as Doojoon tried to be, he clutched at Heejin’s hands whenever they got on a rollercoaster and screamed like a little girl at the scariest parts. Heejin didn’t mind though, she thought it was really cute.

 

It was the typical amusement park date. They rode all the rides, ate cotton candy, and he won her a huge stuffed teddy bear.

 

Doojoon was so glad when they finally left. Never again would he go on a rollercoaster. Heejin dragged him on all the scariest ones and he could never say no to her.

 

Afterward, they went to the supermarket in their couple tees. She objected at first, saying it’s embarrassing to wear those in real life, but gave in when Doojoon asked, “Why? Are you embarrassed to be a couple with me?”

 

They went back to her apartment since she had her own place and Doojoon shared with other trainees. He cooked dinner for her and made her go into the bedroom while he set everything up. He wanted it to be a surprise.

 

“I already know what you’re cooking! What surprise?” said Heejin as Doojoon pushed her into the bedroom and closed the door.

 

“Don’t come out until I tell you!” he warned.

 

“Araso.” She plopped down on her bed and picked up a book she’d been reading lately.

 

Heejin’s stomach was grumbling when Doojoon finally told her she could come out.

 

“Oppa, that took long enou—” Heejin froze in the doorway. The room was dark except for the candles on the dining table and around it. When she stepped closer, she saw that the candles surrounding the table were in the shape of a heart. Doojoon had changed into jeans and a white t-shirt under a blazer.

 

“Happy birthday, Heejin-ah.” Doojoon smiled widely, satisfied with the shocked expression on her face.

 

Heejin snapped out of her daze. “Oppa…” She was so touched.

 

He pulled out a chair and motioned for her to sit.

 

“How can you dress up so nicely and not even tell me? You make me look like a homeless person,” Heejin said in the middle of dinner. She had changed into sweatpants and a t-shirt once they got back to her place.

 

Doojoon laughed. “No one told you to change! You’ve become too comfortable around me. You should always be conscious of your image, like me.” He smoothed down his sideburns as Heejin laughed.

 

“Close your eyes,” Doojoon said as they were finishing up dinner.

 

“Why? Are you giving me a cake?”

 

“Stop questioning everything and just do it!” He hated it when she guessed what he was going to do.

 

Heejin reluctantly closed them. She opened them when she heard Doojoon singing happy birthday to her. He walked from the kitchen holding a cake with 18 candles on it.

 

“Thank you, oppa. This has been the best birthday ever.” She smiled widely.s

 

“Make a wish.” He set the cake down in front of her.

 

I wish we could stay like this forever.

 

Once she opened her eyes, there was a little box in front of her. “What is this?”

 

Doojoon smiled. “Open it.”

 

“Oppa, this is getting to be too much. How am I going to ever top this?” She pulled at the neatly tied bow and opened the lid. Inside was a silver necklace with a heart-shaped pendant.

 

Doojoon picked it up from the box and put it around her neck. “When I’m famous, I’ll get you a real diamond. But for now, just accept my heart.”

 

Heejin stood up and put her arms around Doojoon’s neck as music suddenly started playing. It was From This Moment by Shania Twain and Bryan White, the first song Heejin and Doojoon sang together at JYPE’s bi-yearly trainee auditions.

 

She chuckled. “Oppa, you’re so cheesy. But thank you for today. And every day.”

 

He wrapped his hand around her waist and kissed her. “Anything for you.”

 

“Saranghaeyo,” Heejin said for the first time as she stared into his eyes.

 

“Yah, say it informally,” he joked. After all this time, she still couldn’t speak informally to him and now she felt weird whenever she did.

 

Heejin smiled widely and emphasized each syllable. “Sa-rang-hae, Yoon Doojoon.”

 

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

I’m sorry I never got you that diamond, Heejin-ah, but at least he did.Doojoon thought as he watched Heejin look lovingly at Hyunshik.