The Trouble With Love Is

The Fact

 

Kind of a short chapter, but hope everyone enjoyed it! I've been listening to Kelly Clarkson's first album, so good! Thanks for all the comments and subscribers :)

[Song: The Trouble With Love Is - Kelly Clarkson]

 

“Heejin-ah, let’s go. We’re going to celebrate our triple crown.” Doojoon grabbed Heejin’s bag and started walking toward the door.

 

“Uh, I actually already have other plans.” Heejin went to Doojoon and took her bag back.

 

“What plans?”

 

Heejin looked away. “Just…plans.”

 

“With a man?”

 

She knew what he was thinking and quickly explained, “It’s not what you think. He’s not some random person. Do you remember Hyunshik? He’s a few years older.”

 

“The name sounds familiar. Was he a trainee at JYP?” Doojoon remembered a scrawny guy around his height with glasses around his height. Hyunshik was really awkward back then but Heejin was always nice to him; that was her nature.

 

Heejin nodded. “He came in a few months before I left. I bumped into him the other day near Cube. He’s actually working for this investment bank nearby and we’re going to meet up for dinner.”

 

Doojoon thought back to his JYP trainee days. While him and Heejin were together, he would hear rumors of Hyunshik having a crush on Heejin. He didn’t hide it either. He would come by her singing lessons with hot tea for and medicine whenever he heard she wasn’t feeling well. Doojoon ignored it though because as arrogant as it sounded, who would like a nerdy kid like him, especially once compared to Doojoon?

 

“I have to go, oppa. I’m already running a little late. Maybe all us ex-JYP trainees can get together one day!”

 

Should I be worried about this guy?Doojoon wondered to himself. Nah, he’s probably still the same. Heejin had dated plenty of guys better looking than Doojoon and none of them worked out. What could be different about Hyunshik?

 

Unfortunately, Doojoon was very wrong. Hyunshik had changed a lot in the last few years. He now wore contacts, worked out regularly, and going to college in Australia had made him more outgoing. Doojoon was shocked the first time he saw Hyunshik again.

 

A week after Heejin and Hyunshik had gone to dinner, they actually became an official couple, the first real boyfriend Heejin had since she ‘d gotten back to Korea. He met Beast when he dropped her off at Cube Entertainment for some meetings.

 

Needless to say, Doojoon was not happy. In the corner of his mind, he always thought all those other guys never worked out because Heejin was actually waiting for him. As time passed, the more Doojoon noticed that Heejin looked really happy with Hyunshik.

 

But there was little he could do. Beast was becoming busier by the day due to the popularity of Fiction and Heejin had suddenly become Hyuna’s back up dancer for her comeback.

 

Two weeks ago, President Hong asked Heejin for a personal favor when one of Hyuna’s backup dancers tore her Achilles heel and couldn’t dance for months. There were no available experienced dancers until after Hyuna’s comeback stage so he called Heejin in. Even though it had been years since she stepped into a practice room, she agreed. President Hong was like an uncle to her. He was actually the person who recruited her. Besides, it would only be the first week or so of Hyuna’s comeback, not the entire time.

 

Part of Doojoon was glad because it meant her and Hyunshik would spend less time together and Doojoon would be able to see her at the company practice rooms.

 

“Oppa!” exclaimed Hyuna as Doojoon walked into the empty practice room. Everyone else had left already but Hyuna was still working on perfecting her routine.

 

“Hey Hyuna,” Doojoon looked around, “Where’s Heejin? Did everyone leave?” I just texted her and she said she was still at the company.

 

Hyuna resisted the urge to roll his eyes. It’s always about Heejin. “No, she just went to change. Oppa, are you going to come see my comeback stage in a few weeks?” She quickly changed the topic.

 

Doojoon nodded, “If I don’t have a schedule, sure.”

 

“Oh,” said Hyuna, disappointed at the lackluster response, “Please try to come! I’m working really hard on this album.”

 

“Mm.”He looked around, seeing if Heejin would be coming soon.

 

Hyuna started getting really annoyed. After all these years and all the effort she had put into getting Doojoon to notice her, she’s just thrown to the side as soon as Heejin comes back. She needed to make a move and fast before Doojoon got even closer with Heejin and completely forgot about her.

 

“Oppa, can you help me with a dance step? It looks awkward every time I do it.” It was the beginning of Bubble Pop where the girls dance with the guys. Doojoon knew how it went because he’d come to practice before and seen it.

 

He dipped her and Hyuna lost her balance on purpose. The two of them fell and she positioned herself in a way where they would accidentally kiss. Doojoon’s eyes widened in shock as soon as it happened and there was a sudden loud squeak from a pair of sneakers by the door. Both of them looked and saw it was Heejin.

 

“Sorry,” she quickly said as she grabbed her bag and walked towards the elevators as fast as she could.

 

Doojoon yelled out her name but she left too fast to hear. He helped Hyuna up before rushing towards the elevators. Hyuna smiled. Heejin walking in wasn’t part of her plan, but it was even better than she imagined.

 

Heejin pressed the down button multiple times. Why is this elevator so slow? Should I just take the stairs?

 

Before she could decide, Doojoon appeared next to her. “It’s not what you think. It’s raining out and I wanted to pick you up because you never bring an umbrella with you anywhere and she asked me to help her dance and it was an—”

 

“It’s okay, oppa. You don’t have to explain to me.” Heejin continued pressing the button. Please come now. “You should take Hyuna home. I don’t think she brought an umbrella either and Hyunshik oppa’s downstairs waiting for me already.”

 

Ding!

 

Finally. Heejin breathed a sigh of relief. She got in and pressed lobby.

 

Doojoon put his hand against the doors to prevent it from closing. “It’s really not what you think.” He desperately wanted to explain.

 

“Does it really matter what I think? It’s your life. You can do whatever you want. Hyuna’s nice girl, just be good to her.” She unhooked his hands from the elevator doors and pushed the close doors button.

 

Yes it does matter. Doojoon sighed deeply and stared at the closed elevator doors.

 

“What’s wrong, Heejin? Bad practice?” asked Hyunshik. He noticed she seemed distracted as soon as she got into the car.

 

Heejin stopped staring out at the rain and turned to Hyunshik. “Just…stressed lately. A lot of work to do before the weekend.”

 

“Well I know what will make you feel better,” Hyunshik smiled and took Heejin’s hand into his, “Samgyupsal, sundubu jjigae, and bibimbap?”

 

Her eyes lit up. Food always made everything better in her world. “You know me too well, oppa!”

 

Hyunshik laughed. “It’s already waiting for you at my place.”

 

“Homemade?”

 

He nodded and Heejin smiled even more. She squeezed his hand tight and was so grateful to have met him again. I shouldn’t care about Doojoon and Hyuna. I don’t. She repeated this until she almost believed it.