Hero

The Fact

 

[Song: Hero - Enrique Iglesias]

 

Beast has started their Fiction promotions with Heejin following them to every performance, altering their outfits and creating new ones for the coming week. She was so proud of the 6 men when they won the first award for their first album.

 

Things had gotten back to normal for Doojoon and Heejin. They were no longer awkward around each other and actually got back into the groove of things. They returned to the habits of their trainee days, joking around and talking whenever they were around one another.

 

Beast found out their old Heejin changed a lot in America. It seemed as if she changed guys every other week. They would always be bringing her food and drinks, driving her home from work, and calling or texting her all day long. She explained it as being young and seeing what’s out there. Heejin was actually really open about it, even in front of Doojoon, but everyone except her could see he really hated her dating anyone else. To her, it wasn’t a big deal. Heejin and Doojoon broke up years ago.

 

“Are you guys ready yet?” asked Heejin as she sat in the boys’ dorm, waiting for them to finish getting dressed for Dongwoon’s birthday celebration.

 

“Noona, I’m ready and I don’t even know where we’re going!” Dongwoon stated as he sat next her.

 

Heejin smiled. How long could boys take to get ready? She’d reserved a club for Dongwoon’s birthday. The owner was a family friend and only people on the guest list could get in. There weren’t going to be anyone they didn’t already know so no one to really impress. And yet they were taking even longer than Heejin took to get ready. She looked down at her black strapless mini-dress and adjusted her sitting position.

 

I guess they really haven’t been to a club in a while.

 

They blindfolded Dongwoon and got him into the club. As soon as they took the blindfold off, the music blared, streamers and confetti were thrown all over him, and shouts of happy birthday resonated in the giant room. Dongwoon couldn’t imagine a better way to spend his birthday.

 

Everyone from Cube Entertainment was there as well as some of Dongwoon’s high school friends. The club was packed with people.

 

Beast and Heejin sat at a table and watched as Junhyung tried to make Dongwoon drink 21 shots for his birthday.

 

Dongwoon was so grateful when 4minute came to say happy birthday.

 

“Heejin, let’s go dance! We haven’t danced together in so long!” said Jiyoon. Jiyoon and Heejin used to be really close during their trainee days at JYP.

 

Heejin got up and left with all of 4minute except Hyuna, who squeezed a seat next to Doojoon.

 

“Oppa, I haven’t seen you in so long. You’re so busy with practice nowadays,” said Hyuna as she leaned towards Doojoon.

 

“Oh, mianhe. Things are really hectic lately,” replied a distracted Doojoon as he watched Heejin on the dance floor. She still had the ability to mesmerize him with her dancing. That was how they first met, in the dance room. She was practicing when he walked in for his first lesson.

 

“Here, oppa, have some fruit,” Hyuna stuck a toothpick into a piece of watermelon and held it in front of his mouth.

 

Doojoon looked at her for a second and ate it out of politeness.

 

Meanwhile Heejin was having a lot of fun on the dance floor with her old friends. She was facing the table Beast was sitting at when she saw Doojoon eat a piece of fruit Hyuna had given him. A pinch of jealousy came into Heejin’s mind as she remembered how much Hyuna always liked Doojoon.

 

[FLASHBACK]

 

“You know she likes you right?” Heejin said as her and Doojoon left the practice rooms.

 

“Who?” One hand naturally took her bag full of sweaty clothes from dance practice while the other grabbed her hand.

 

“Hyuna.”

 

“What? No, she doesn’t.”

 

Heejin rolled her eyes at how oblivious boys could be sometimes. “She definitely does. Do you not notice she’s always at practice when you’re here? And she dresses differently, never in sweats, dances ier, and always gives you specifically this ‘I want you’ look. It’s like in a room full of people, she only sees you.”

 

Doojoon stopped walking and smiled at Heejin. “Jealous?”

 

She laughed and started walking again, dragging him along. “You wish.”

 

He pulled her back and into him, hugging her tightly. “In a room full of people, I only see you. Always.” He kissed her sweetly on the lips.

 

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

I suppose it was bound to happen. They look good together.Heejin moved so that they wouldn’t be in her line of vision anymore.

 

The song changed to Super Bass by Nicki Minaj, Heejin’s current favorite song, and she really got into the groove. Suddenly, a pair of hands went around her hips and she felt a man behind her. She tried to move away but he really had a grip on her.

 

She finally turned around to say no thanks and saw it was a guy she’d gone out with before, “What are you doing here?” Heejin stopped dancing and faced him.

 

“What? I can’t come see my girl?”

 

Heejin was ready to tell him to get out when she noticed 4minute looking at the two of them confused. She pulled him to the closest wall. “I’m not your girl. We went on 2 dates and kissed once. I thought you would have gotten the hint when I stopped picking up your calls.”

 

The tall man hovered just above 180cm and was pretty well-built. “Sweetie, you must be mistaken. I’m pretty much the ideal man. Great job, good looking, charismatic. How could you possibly reject me? No woman has ever rejected me.”

 

She had to admit all he said was true, but she just wasn’t interested. “I guess there’s a first time for everything. Now please leave. This is a private party.” With that, she ended the conversation and began to walk away.

 

He suddenly grabbed her wrist and pulled on her so hard she almost lost her balance. “The conversation’s over when I say it’s over.”

 

Heejin twisted her wrist in an attempt to get herself free but it was to no avail. He was too strong for the tiny girl. “Let go!”

 

“No one rejects me. Especially not a nobody like you.” He stared into her eyes and she actually felt a little scared by the look in his eyes.

 

Out of the blue another hand broke the grip he had on her and Heejin turned to see it was Doojoon.

 

“I don’t think she wants to talk to you anymore.” Doojoon stepped in between Heejin and the man.

 

She had never seen him look that intense.

 

The man looked at Doojoon and then at Heejin. “Is this your new man? Downgrade for sure.”

 

Heejin was angry now. She pushed Doojoon aside. “First of all, he’s just a friend. Second of all, he’s 10 times the man you’ll ever be.”

 

She was glaring at him when a voice came over. “Is there a problem here?”

 

All 3 turned to see a big bouncer. Apparently the 3 of them had been making a scene, causing security to come.

 

“Yes. He’s not on the guestlist. Can you please him out?” Heejin stated.

 

He glared at Heejin one last time before going with the bodyguard. Heejin and Doojoon watched as he left.

 

“Thanks, oppa, I—” Heejin began.

 

“What were you thinking? He could have done something to you if I hadn’t come along!” Doojoon was mad. How could she be so careless and just dance with a random guy and then go to some isolated corner with him?

 

“What? I didn’t do anything!” Heejin whispered loudly as she noticed the increasing amount of people looking at them. “People are staring.”

 

Doojoon looked around. She was right.

 

For the second time that night, Heejin’s wrist was grabbed as Doojoon pulled her to a different exit.

 

“It hurts, oppa!” Heejin said as soon as they got outside.

 

Doojoon finally let go of her. “You shouldn’t be so careless. Or dressing like that.”

 

“One, there’s nothing wrong with what I’m wearing. Plenty of girls are wearing even less inside. Two, hedanced with me. I didn’t know who he was at first. He seemed normal when I met him before.”

 

“You know that guy?” This was not making Doojoon any less angry.

 

“We went out for a week, then I stopped answering his calls and texts. I don’t even know how he got in.”

 

“I’m taking you home right now.” He turned to hail a taxi.

 

“What?”

 

“Get in.” Doojoon opened the door and gave Heejin a ‘I’m serious, don’t argue with me’ look.

 

The ride was deathly silent. She didn’t understand why he was so mad at her. She didn’t do anything wrong! He knew he shouldn’t have gotten angry with her, but he kept thinking what might have happened if he didn’t step in. What if that guy dragged her out of the club and no one knew where she was? He was mostly mad that he didn’t get there earlier.

 

Doojoon walked her to her apartment door.

 

Before she opened her door, Heejin paused and turned to look at him. “Oppa, mianhe. I know you were just worried about me and I’m sorry for making you worry. But I could have handled it. I’m not a little girl anymore.”

 

“I know, Heejin, but I’ll always feel protective towards you. And seeing him grab you like that, I just…” He didn’t know if he should finish that sentence.

 

“I get it, oppa. Thank you.” She gave him a hug.

 

Doojoon inhaled her scent as he squeezed her tight. How he had missed that smell in the past 3 years. For that one moment, he remembered what it was like to hold her, to have her be his.

 

Heejin pulled away. “You should go back and take care of the others. By the way Junhyung oppa was making Dongwoon drink, I don’t think he’s going to have a good morning. I’ll see you tomorrow bright and early for the fittings for this week’s shows.”

 

She turned around and went inside before he could respond. Inside, Heejin leaned against the door and clutched her left chest, trying to calm her pounding heart. After all these years, how can he still make my heart beat so fast?