Keep it simple

miss butterfingers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 16

Keep it simple

After that incident with Junhyung, Hyuna found herself replaying Junhyung’s words over and over in her head for the next few days.

Why are you always running away?

Even though she wished his words didn’t affect her, it had unleashed a whole set of questions in her mind.  Why did he ask her that?  What did he care what she did?  What was his problem anyway?

Being the keen observer of the group, Jiyoon could tell something was off with Hyuna.  She would never admit it though.  Jiyoon was sure it had to do with Junhyung.  While Hyuna was taking out her books for the next class, Jiyoon gently said to her, “Hyuna, why are you taking out your math book?  We have English class remember?”

“Oh right.”  She said and quickly took out the correct books.

While they were walking to their class, Jiyoon said something cryptic to Hyuna.

“It’s up to you if you want to take this advice.  But there are times because we are thinking so hard; we overlook the simplest of things.  And usually it means the answer is right in front of us.” 

Were things really as easy and simple as Jiyoon was implying?  Hyuna thought.  Then why couldn’t Hyuna figure out what was Junhyung thinking?  Junhyung was close to Doojoon but Hyuna didn’t want to ask Doojoon.  She was still mad at him for standing her up and substituting Junhyung at the library.  Doojoon was technically the instigator for all her headahces.

“Whatever is on your mind, you’re over thinking it Hyuna.”  Jiyoon said and put her arm over her shoulder.  “If you ever want my help, just ask ok?”

“Thanks Jiyoon.”  Hyuna smiled.  She hadn’t realized how much she had made Jiyoon worried. 

“Don’t internalize everything.  I feel like you’re going to blow up one day.”  She said jokingly.  Hyuna had a habit of not telling people her problems.  Jiyoon first thought it was because she didn’t know them that well, but even after they became close, Hyuna still never really showed her internal thoughts to any of them. 

Hyuna looked at Jiyoon with a puzzled look on her face. 

“I wish you would share your thoughts with us a bit more, that’s all.”  She said.  “I don’t mean to be a busybody or anything.”

Hyuna shook her head.  She didn’t take it that way at all.  She really liked being friends with Jiyoon.  Jiyoon had a bit of a temper but Hyuna loved how true she was to her self and how fiercely loyal she was to her friends. 

“Sorry, I’m not used to telling people my problems.  But I’m really glad to have you guys as my friends.”  She said as earnestly as she could muster.  

“Don’t go all mushy with me!”  Jiyoon said as she slapped Hyuna playfully on her back and a smirk on her face.  “Oh did I tell you, Yoseob and I have been practicing a duet lately?”

“You forced him into it, didn’t you?”  Hyuna said, side-eyeing Jiyoon.  His friends were always dragging Yoseob into various activities.  For Doojoon, it was soccer, for Jiyoon it was singing, and for Hyuna it was pulling pranks on others.

“It’s because he’s too multi-talented and easy to convince,” Jiyoon said with a laugh.  It was true though.  Yoseob was an awesome singer even though he didn’t attend any vocal lessons or practice regularly.  He was also quite athletic since he took boxing lessons.

They continued talking about Yoseob and his silliness until they reached their class.  Jiyoon hoped that she managed to cheer Hyuna at least a bit.

It was lunchtime when a teacher called Hyuna to go to the teachers’ office.  At first, Hyuna thought she had gotten into trouble for something, but when her teacher finally broke the news to her, she realized that getting in the trouble would have been better than what she was told.

Her home room teacher took both of her hands and said in a sympathetic voice, “Hyuna, we have just received a phone call from the hospital.  It’s your grandma.”

After hearing the bad news, Hyuna had walked lifelessly out of the office, passing Junhyung who was helping out his history teacher with carrying some textbooks back to the teacher’s office.

Hyuna didn’t notice him at all but Junhyung had an inkling that something happened.  He quickly dropped off the textbooks on his history teacher’s desk before running out to catch up with her.

“What’s wrong?”  He asked, conscious to keep a distance between them.

At the moment, Hyuna ignored the weird tension between them and said in low whisper as if she still doesn’t believe the words are true, “My grandma’s in hospital.  She fell down the stairs at home.  They say she’s hurt her head pretty badly.”

Now, Junhyung understood why Hyuna looked so distressed.  He wished he could comfort her but he didn’t know how to.  It was only lunch, but Junhyung knew that Hyuna woudn’t be able to concentrate for the rest of the day.

“Let’s go visit her.”  He said all of a sudden.  For some reason, he wanted to make up for making her angry.

Hyuna looked up at him with hopeful eyes. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter