Chapter 6

This is Our Story

By the grace of god I managed to fit into my pants for the wedding. I had to cut bread and sweets completely out of my diet to do it, but I did it.

 

The ceremony itself was beautiful; very modern with just the right Japanese and Korean touches. People don't often think about the blending of cultures and how amazing it can be. The ceremony seemed to last forever though and by the end I was ready to fall asleep, not go to the reception.

 

But I dragged myself to the hall. I sat next to Yunho at dinner. He practically force fed me, I was so tired.

 

“I can bring you home, if you want,” Yunho whispered in my ear.

 

“No. I'm okay. Maybe if we dance together. The next slow song?” I wanted to lean against him for a while. I wanted to slow dance with him and maybe even kiss him.

 

Yunho laughed softly. “Next slow song, but don't fall asleep standing up.”

 

“I'll try not to,” I said as I yawned. Yunho kissed my cheek and I smiled.

 

A few songs later a slow song started. Yunho led me to the dance and wrapped his arms around my waist. I rested my arms on his shoulders and silently cursed his height. I wanted to be just a little bit taller. I didn't want to be 6'1'' like Yunho. I just wanted to be a little taller than 5'8''.

 

“You have gotten a little pudgy. I'm not saying it to be mean, just be careful you don't gain too quickly. You can get sick,” Yunho said, rubbing my sides lightly.

 

“I don't know why. I haven't changed my eating habits.” I played with his hair a little.

 

“But you aren't exercising as much since practice ended. We can start running together if you want.” Yunho pulled me closer. I tucked my head under his chin.

 

“Sounds good.” I closed my eyes and swayed with the music. Yunho's heart beat calmed my mind.

 

“Hey!” Yunho said, laughing. “You said you wouldn't fall asleep.”

 

“Sorry.” I hugged Yunho tighter. “You're really warm and comforting.”

 

“Comforting? Not comfortable?”

 

“Comforting,” I repeated. I shut my eyes again.

 

“I'm gonna bring you home. I just need to say bye to Dad and Michiko first.”

 

I nodded and waited for him against the door. The reception was in full swing and it didn't look like it was going to end anytime soon. I felt bad for abandoning Yoochun, Junsu and Changmin, but felt a little better when I saw Yoochun slyly Junsu's . There was no way they weren't together. I couldn't wait until they came out and told us all.

 

“Are you sick?” Yunho asked me.

 

“What? No. I might have a cold, but nothing serious.”

 

“You've had a cold for three weeks? Why didn't you tell me you're not feeling well?”

 

“How did you even find out? I'm not sick, just a little stressed.”

 

“Junsu and I talk. He's really worried about you. I figured if there is something seriously wrong with you, you'd tell us. But you fell asleep dancing. How is the possible?” Yunho parked the car in the driveway. He opened my door for me.

 

“I don't know. I've just been really tired lately. I'm sure it's because of how much homework I have.”

 

Yunho grabbed a couple bottles of water out of the fridge. We climbed the stairs to his room. I almost didn't want to change out of the suit before falling asleep. Luckily, Yunho understood and helped me undress. He didn't tease or try to arouse me. It was almost clinical. He folded the clothes neatly and piled them on his desk. He changed quickly.

 

“I'm just worried about you, Jaejoongie. If you're sick or if something's wrong you need to tell someone so we can take care of you.” He sat down and rubbed my feet and legs. “You're ankles are swollen. Did you trip?”

 

“No. It's probably because I've been on my feet all day. If I'm not better by the end of next week, I''l ask Mom to bring me to the doctor. Okay?”

 

“I guess. Just keep me in the loop. I mean, I am your boyfriend. And I thought you were my best friend.” He stopped touching me and scooted away from me.

 

“What does that mean?” I asked. I sat up and reached out to touch his face.

 

He pulled away from my touch. “I found out from Junsu that you weren't feeling good. I know Junsu's your cousin. And you've known him longer. But, still. I'm your boyfriend. You shouldn't keep things like that from me.”

 

“I sorry,” I said sheepishly. “I didn't want you to worry. You already had so much going on. I didn't want to add to your stress.”

 

“I'll always worry about you, Jaejoongie. Always. I care...” Yunho sighed. “ it. I love you, Kim Jaejoong. I love you, so much.” He reached for me and pulled me against his chest. “You don't have to say anything.”

 

“I love you, too,” I whispered into his ear. At first I wasn't sure he heard me. But he tightened the embrace and let out a long breathe, like he was holding back, scared.

 

We stayed in that position for a long time. I closed my eyes and let the sound of his heart block out all other sounds. I was almost asleep when I felt him adjust our position to lay me down.

 

Yunho crawled behind and wrapped his arms around me. He rubbed my stomach and chest and kissed my shoulder.

 

 

The next morning I woke up less tired, but queasy and dizzy. I sat up too quickly and slid to the floor.

 

“Jaejoong! Jaejoong, are you okay?” Yunho knelt next to me.

 

“Yeah. I'm okay. I'm just...” I coughed. “I'm gonna be sick.”

 

Yunho grabbed the trashcan and held it for me. I heaved and coughed. I sat back against the bed.

 

“Feel better?” Yunho handed me a bottle of water. I chugged it down quickly.

 

“A little bit. That was weird. I must have eaten something that didn't agree with me.” I sat still for a few minutes to gauge how I felt. I was less nauseous. I used Yunho's shoulder to stand, slowly.

 

“Are you sure you're okay?” Yunho gripped my wrist tightly.

 

“I'm okay. It must have been something at the wedding. You should call Junsu, I think he had the same thing I had.” I walked to the bathroom slowly. All I wanted to do was brush my teeth and rinse my mouth out.

 

“Okay. Later though. It's only 5:30. Think you could eat something now?”

 

“Maybe. Just tea for now.” I wrapped my arm around Yunho's waist as we walked down the stairs.

 

We sat out on the back porch for breakfast. Yunho made me peppermint tea and toast. It helped settle my stomach enough that I picked a few pieces of bacon off Yunho's plate. The whole scene was peacefully domestic.

 

“I'm worried about that dizzy spell. I want to bring you to the hospital to get checked out,” Yunho said slowly.

 

“I'll go to my doctor on Monday. That's never happened to me before. Don't worry too much. I'll be fine.” I reached across the table and wrapped my fingers around his wrist. “I'm not really feeling up for a run, but how about we take a nice long walk?”

 

Yunho smiled at me and my heart raced. I stood and walked over to him. I slid on to his lap and kissed his slowly. I traced his lower lip with the tip of my tongue.

 

He moan and I slipped my tongue into his mouth. He tightened his grip on my hips. “There are other ways to exercise, you know,” he said as he pulled back.

 

“Not now. Maybe later. Let's just go for that walk.”

 

Yunho smiled and gave me a slight peck on the lips. He placed a line of kisses down to my neck.

 

“Yunho...” I tangled my hand into his hair. He smiled against my skin.

 

“Okay. I'll stop.”

 

We walked around the neighborhood. Yunho stopped and said hello and played with all the kids that were outside. He was always great with children. They seemed to flock to his natural, calm aura.

 

By the time we got back to his house, it was lunchtime. We made sandwiches and lounged on the sofa.

 

Changmin finally wandered in around 3 in the afternoon. I was going to scold him, but he decided to be cute and snuggled on the sofa, forcing his way between me and Yunho. He laid his head on my stomach. Changmin smiled up at me.

 

“The wedding was nice. Michiko and Dad are sorry they didn't come home last night. They were able to get free upgraded first class seats. Something about the airline overbooking. I don't know.”

 

“I'm glad they're happy. Is there a reason you're laying on me?” I tried to push him off. He was being clingy, which was especially odd for him.

 

“I was just lonely. Yoochun has been up Junsu's all night. Literally.”

 

“WHAT!?” Yunho and I shouted at the same.

 

“Well, I'm not 100% sure, but I slept in the guest room, which shares a wall with Yoochun's room. And I heard sounds I don't want to hear again. I'm glad you two are quiet.”

 

“I knew it! I knew Yoochun was into Junsu.”

Yunho stared at me. “So, Dad and Michiko are already in Venice,” he said.

“Yup. We have the house to ourselves for the next two weeks.”

 

 

***

 

Monday morning found me hunched over the toilet, vomiting again. My parents had already left for work, leaving Jaehwa to take care of me. She rubbed my back and whispered to me.

 

“How long have you felt like this?” she asked.

 

“I don't know. I've been puking since Saturday. I thought I ate something bad. I've been getting really dizzy lately, too.” I sat back.

 

“Jaejoong, wait here. You need to read something.” She ran to her room and came back with a magazine.

 

I scanned the page. “Jaehwa, what is this? This is about male pregnancy? What the hell?” I handed the magazine back.

 

“I think you're pregnant, JJ. You've been moody and tired.”

 

“I think you're crazy. I need to get ready for school.” I tried to stand and a wave of nausea hit me. I sat back down.

 

“You aren't going to school today. Even if you aren't pregnant, you're very sick. And you need to rest. I'm going to get you a pregnancy test. Go lay back down and I'll be back in a few more minutes.”

 

I laid down and read the article Jaehwa showed me. It said, that while incredibly rare, male pregnancy could happen. Something about the parents needing to be “genetically compatible”. I didn't fully understand the article.

 

“JJ, I'm back.” Jaehwa knocked on my door. “I got the test. Are you okay?”

 

“I don't know.” I took the test from her. “How do I even do this?”

 

“There are instructions in the box. I called Mom and told her we are both sick. She called the school, so we don't have to go today.”

 

I walked into the bathroom and sat down. The instructions were easy enough; pee on the stick and wait 15 minutes. I peed on the little pink stick and set it on the sink.

 

“JJ, come to my room and we'll talk. It's best not to think about it.” Jaehwa took my hand and led me to her room. We weren't close. We never were. We just lived our own lives.

 

“What do I if I am...”

 

“I don't know. We'll figure it out.”

 

“Mom and Dad are going to be so mad at me,” I wailed. I was so scared and confused. Tears were pouring out of my eyes.

 

“Muffin, no one's gonna be mad you. We love you and everything will be okay.” Jaehwa patted my back and smoothed down my hair.

 

“Oh god!” I sat up quickly. “Yunho. What is Yunho gonna say? He's gonna think I'm a freak. He's gonna hate me. This will ruin his life.”

 

“Jaejoong. It's okay. Everything will be just fine.” Jaehwa pulled me into a tight hug and let me cry into her shoulder. She kissed my cheek and wiped the tears away. “It's been 15 minutes. Do you want me to come with you?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

I picked up the test and took a deep breath. There were two pink lines. I dropped the test and scrambled for the box to make sure I read it right. Two pinks line meant I was pregnant. I was pregnant. I sank to the floor, shocked and scared.

 

“JJ, it's okay. It'll be okay. Don't worry.” Jaehwa stood up slowly, lifting me up. “Go lay back down until Mom and Dad get home. I'll be right here when we talk to them.”

 

Jaehwa helped me into bed and covered me up. She kissed my forehead and left. I cried harder. I couldn't believe it. I ruined my life. I ruined Yunho's life. I cried myself to sleep.

 

 

I woke up to the sound of voices in the living room. I prayed it wasn't Jaehwa telling Mom and Dad what happened. I ran to the bathroom to find the pregnancy test. It wasn't there. I prayed that Jaehwa hid it for me.

 

I sat back on my bed, trying to figure out how to tell Mom and Dad. I took a deep breath. I had to talk to my parents at some point.

 

I walked down the stairs. Jaehwa and Dad were sitting in the living room. Jaehwa was reading the magazine with the article in it and Dad was reading the paper. Mom was in the kitchen making dinner.

 

I cleared my throat. “Dad? Mom? Can we talk?” I asked, trying to control my voice. Jaehwa patted the sofa next to me for me to sit down. I sat on the edge of the sofa.

 

“What's wrong Jaejoong?” Dad asked. Mom sat next to him.

 

“I don't know how to start. I've been sick for a couple of weeks. I didn't know why. And for the past couple days I've been throwing up. I puked this morning too. Jaehwa stayed home with me today and sat with me.”

 

“JJ, what are you trying to tell? Do you need to go to the doctor?”

 

I nodded. “Jaehwa went to the store for me and got me a test. I think... It sounds impossible and insane...” I started crying again. Jaehwa hugged me close. She handed Mom the magazine, opened to the article about male pregnancies.

 

“JJ? Are you saying you think you're pregnant?” Mom asked.

 

I hiccuped and nodded slowly. “I took a test and got two pink lines. That means I'm pregnant.”

 

Dad stood up and left the room. I jumped at the sound of a door slamming. “I'll talk to him,” Mom said softly. “Jaejoong, are you sure?”

 

“Yeah. I'm sure. I don't know what to do.”

 

“I'll call my doctor in the morning. We'll get you in to see an OB/GYN and fine out for sure. You need to talk to Yunho about this.”

 

“Can I wait till I know for sure? I don't want to worry Yunho if this is nothing. Or if it's something that he doesn't need to worry about.”

 

“Of course. Jaejoong, don't worry about you father. He'll be okay if we just give him time.” Mom sat down next to me and hugged me tightly. “Dinner's almost ready. Let's go eat.”

 

“What about Dad?” Jaehwa asked.

 

“He'll be out for a while. Let's just eat. I'll deal with him.”

 

Dinner was quiet. My mind was racing and I couldn't sleep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next chapter! I'm trying to write faster and more. I'm a very lazy writer and really shouldn't be..

Thank you all so much for reading. I really do love all of you!