Chapter 1

This is Our Story
The first time I ever saw him was the first day of freshman year. My cousin Junsu and I signed up for glee club. Then he begged me to try out for soccer with him.
 
“Please, Jaejoong? You’re good. You need a little practice, but you could get on JV easily.” Junsu stared at me with puppy dog eyes until I agreed to go to try-outs with him.
 
We were sitting on the bleachers waiting for the coach when the rest of the team walked in. They sat on the bench opposite of us. I scanned my eyes over the team. There was one boy in particular that attracted my attention. He was a year ahead of me. I knew his name was Yunho. I recognized him from my older sister’s year book. He was whispering to another person.
 
The coach called us one by one to show off our skills. Junsu killed his turn. He was the fastest and most graceful on the field and I felt a pang of jealousy. I doubted I could even get on the JV team.
 
When my name was finally called I climbed off the bleachers slowly. I concentrated on keeping control of the ball harder than I concentrated on anything in my life. I was surprised with how well I did and I even managed to score a goal.
 
“Okay! Good job, guys,” Yunho called as he walked on to the field. “You all did really good. The team lists will be posted on Friday.”
 
Junsu and I left the field and started the trek back home.
 
“How was your first day, boys?” my mother asked as soon as we entered the kitchen. Junsu liked to hang out a my house after school until his parents got home.
 
“Okay,” Junsu replied. “I got a ton of home work.”
 
“Get started on it and I’ll bring you boys a snack.” Mom gave me a quick hug as I walked passed her up to my room.
 
For as long as I could remember, Junsu was always my best friend. We’re only a few months apart so we were especially close.
 
 
 
The week passed quickly. I was sitting at lunch when Junsu ran in and tackled me from behind.
 
“We made the team!” he shouted in my ear.
 
“What?”
 
Junsu pulled back from me a little. “We both made the team! I’m second bench and you’re third. So, we might not play a lot this year, but next year will be our year!”
 
I smiled and laughed. I wasn’t expecting to make the team. I didn’t know the proper way to react.
 
Our first practice was that afternoon. The newest members of the team sat on the field in our gym uniforms as we listened to the team captain introduce the rest of the team.
 
“Yunho is going to run drills with you guys while I take the rest of the team through a normal practice. Just because you aren’t a starter or first bench, doesn’t mean you can slack off,” Minjung explained. “I started as second bench. Yunho started as second bench. You all are valuable members of our team. After practice today we’ll order your uniforms.”
 
I watched Yunho demonstrate the drills he wanted us to do. Some of them looked needlessly complicated. I moved to the back of the line so I would be the last person to go. I knew I’d just make a fool of myself.
 
Junsu was a picture of grace as he ran up and down the field controlling the ball like it was a part of his body.
 
When it was finally my turn I did exactly what I thought I would do; I fell flat on my face. Instead of kicking the ball, I stepped on it, fell forward and face-planted with the grace God gave a drunken elephant.
 
I heard Yunho chuckle and jog over to me.
 
“You okay, Jaejoong?” he asked as he reached for my hand.
 
“Yeah.” My voice squeaked rather unpleasantly. “I’m okay.”
 
“Well, get up. Try again.” He pulled me to my feet. I flushed crimson and focused on the ball, dribbling up the field to goal and back again. I slipped on the dewy grass as I got back in line, but I didn’t fall again.
 
We continued with various drills until the coach blew his whistle signaling practice was over.
 
“Great job, everyone!” Minjung called from across the field. “Our first game is in two weeks. Go shower and we’ll have a quick meeting after.”
 
I showered quickly in the handicap shower. I didn’t like being around other people. No one seemed to notice.
 
I made my way back to the field for the meeting and Yunho met me on the stairs.
 
“Is everything okay?” he asked.
 
“Yeah. Why would anything be wrong?” I stuttered.
 
“Just wanted to make sure no one on the team makes you uncomfortable or nervous.”
 
“No it’s nothing like that. I just don’t like changing in front of other people.” I couldn’t stop stammering. “I’ve always been like that.”
 
“Okay. I just wanted to make sure. If you have any problems, even if it’s outside the team, I want you to know you can come talk to me. Okay?”
 
“Yeah, sure. Thanks.” I tried to smile at him.
 
We stood in a line and listened to Minjung’s little lecture about practice and our first game.
 
I wasn’t nervous about our first game. I highly doubted I was going to play at all that season. And I was right, I didn’t play. I wasn’t upset though. The team was great and we all got along great.
 
Freshman year was a bit of a blur. We made it to semifinals, but lost to a team made up of mostly seniors. I aced all my classes. And best of all, I became close friends with Yunho, his younger brother Changmin and their friend Yoochun.
 
Changmin joined the team during his freshman year. We convince Yoochun to be the team manager. He didn’t play a lot of sports because of his asthma, but he was always incredibly organized. And our team needed to be more organized; some one was always forgetting their shorts or water bottle or knee pads. Yoochun managed to keep us all from going crazy.
 
Sophomore year was when things started to get complicated. I had a crush on Yunho from the moment I saw him. He was everything I wanted; tall, strong, kind, caring, manly. He was walking perfection.
 
After every practice, Yunho waited for me outside the locker room and we walked to his house together. Sometimes he carried my books for me and sometimes he bought me a coffee from the café that was on the way to his house.
 
Junsu hung out with Yoochun and Changmin most of the time, but the five of us always met up at someone’s house for dinner. I’m sure our mothers were so excited about having five hungry soccer players invade their homes every night.
 
The day of the championship game was nerve-wracking. I was first bench, but I had to start due to Minjung’s injury. I sat on the bus literally shaking with fear. Junsu sat next to me rubbing my back and shoulders. It didn’t help. I felt so sick to my stomach.
 
Yunho turned around in his seat and cupped my cheek. “It’s gonna be okay. You’re great and we’re a great team. We are going to kick .” He patted my cheek and turned back around.
 
My heart was beating a million miles an hour. I was even more nervous than before, only now it was because of a simple touch from Yunho.
 
 
The game was a blur of motion and emotion. We all played hard and ran fast. The game was tied and we went into over time.
 
I watched from halfway down the field as Junsu ran, controlling the ball perfectly. I held my breath as he kicked the ball. I was terrified he kicked to high, too hard. The ball sailed in to the goal. I sank to my knees as I realized we had just won.
 
Junsu ran to me and tackled me down, screaming. “I did it, Jae! I did it!”
 
I hugged him tightly and just laid on the grass. I was completely unaware that the rest of the team had run over and started to pig pile on top of us.
 
Unaware, that is, until I felt a pair of arm encircle my waist and heard Yunho’s voice in my ear. “I’m so proud of both of you.”
 
We all but carried Junsu back to the locker room. I couldn’t believe he scored the winning goal. I was overjoyed.
 
 
 
I waited in a corner until everyone was finished showering. I couldn’t stop smiling as I showered quickly. I was so proud of Junsu. I almost couldn’t believe he scored the winning goal.
 
“Hey,” Yunho said softly as he walked toward me. I was half dressed, my damp hair still stuck to my forehead.
 
I smiled shyly. He walked closer to me and cupped my cheek like he did on the bus. “You and Junsu did really great today. I’m really proud of you. Minjung thought I was crazy to have you start, but you were perfect.”
 
I took a step back. Yunho stepped closer again. He tangled his hand into my hair and titled my head up. I my lips and stared at him. I felt his hand tighten in my hair.
 
Yunho moved quickly and claimed my mouth with his. It was a hard, fast kiss. I stood there frozen as to what to do. I slowly mimicked the movements of his lips with my own. I placed my hand on his shoulder to stabilize myself.
 
He jumped away from me suddenly. I looked over his shoulder to see Changmin standing there.
 
“Coach is waiting for you two,” he said with out batting an eyelash. Changmin turned and left.
 
Yunho followed quickly after Changmin. As I watched him leave I thought my heart was going to explode in my chest. I pulled on my shirt quickly and sprinted to the bus.
 
The only empty seat was next to Yunho. He was staring out the window and barely looked at me when I sat down. I felt like I did something wrong. Like I wasn’t responsive enough to him, or maybe he thought I was upset about it.
 
I turned to talk to Yunho, but noticed that he had his head phones on. I sighed and moved away from him. It was painfully obvious that the whole encounter was just a mistake. A one time experiment. I sunk into the seat as much as I could. I just wanted to be home and in my bed.
 
I fell asleep on the way home. The bus jerked to a stop and I woke to the feeling of Yunho’s arm around my shoulder, keeping me from falling forward to the floor.
 
I apologized for falling asleep on Yunho and he smiled gently at me. He told he would let any team member use him as a pillow.
 
Yunho volunteered to drive me and Junsu back to my house. It was really late and my parents went to bed very early. The drive back was the most awkward drive of my life. The car was deathly silent. I wanted to talk to Yunho, but fear and Junsu sitting in the back seat kept me quiet.
 
 
 
Weeks went by and things finally started to return to normal. Since we didn’t have practice anymore, we had to find other ways to amuse ourselves.
Yoochun suggested that we take up bowling. That was a mistake on my part. Yunho and Changmin were great bowlers. Yoochun and Junsu were really good, too. I, on the other hand, managed to trip my self while throwing the ball.
 
I didn’t really get hurt, save my pride, but I used it as an excuse to sit out the rest of the game. I kept score.
 
Yes, everything was returning to normal. Yunho was talking to me like he was my friend again and I no longer felt embarrassed when I looked him in the eye.
 
 
And then Japan happened.
 
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
So, here's the first chapter. God, I hope I'm doing well with this. As I've said, this plot bunny was gifted to me by the lovely parkmincheon and she is awesome-sauce for letting me have this story.
 
The next chapter is going to be so super-fluffy you'll think you're going to die!! Like seriously, it's going to be fluffier than baby pandas!