Chapter 5

This is Our Story

2 weeks after Michiko arrived she dragged Yunho, Changmin and me to a bridal shop. She wanted all three of us in the wedding and there was no way to convince her otherwise. Even Mr. Jung couldn't talk her out of it.

 

I stood on a little platform while the seamstress fussed with my pants. Yunho stood off to the side with Changmin. They looked amazing in their suits. Yunho, as the best man, wore a thin, navy blue tie with his suit. Changmin and I both wore warm brown ties.

 

“I'm sorry,” I said. The seamstress huffed and pulled the seam out of my waistband.

 

“Step out. And stop eating so much until the wedding.” She roughly folded the pants and tossed them on to a table.

 

“I'm not eating more,” I whined a little. Yunho laughed and handed me my jeans. “I'm not. I'm just stressed out and I get a little bloated when I'm stressed. I'll be fine by the wedding.”

 

Yunho pulled me into his arms and kissed my cheek. “You have two weeks. Eat yogurt before the seamstress kills you.”

 

Surprisingly, Michiko was very accepting of our relationship and quickly became a strong supporter of us. She even got into a fight with Mr. Jung, just three days after she moved into the Jung household.

 

Michiko made us all, even Yunho and Changmin, call her by her first name. She said she wanted to be our friend, confidant and mother.

 

“Jaejoong, come here, Dear.” Michiko held out her arms to me. I wrapped my arms around her tiny waist. “Are you okay? Is everything okay at home?”

 

“Yeah. I've had a lot of homework and practice and stuff like that. I guess I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.”

 

“Come over Saturday afternoon and we'll have tea and a nice long talk.”

 

“Thank you. Can I make cookies for you?”

 

Michiko laughed brightly. “Of course you can, Jaejoongie.”

 

Yunho and Changmin changed out of their suits. We left the bridal shop. Changmin rode back to the house with Michiko while Yunho and I went for a walk around downtown. We hardly got any time alone together once Michiko moved in. There was just so much to do to prepare for the wedding and getting the family settled down.

 

Changmin overreacted with his initial judgment of her. She was kind, gentle and tried so hard to be a good Mom to Yunho and Changmin. In the two weeks that she was there, she had won over Changmin. Yunho was a little more closed off, but he said he liked her well enough.

 

We stopped at a convenience store and Yunho treated us to slushies. “Are you really okay?” he asked. We sat down on a bench and watched the people go by.

 

“I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?”

 

“You've just been... I don't know off, I guess.”

 

“Just tired. I have a ton of homework to do. I feel like there's no time before summer to get it all done.” I rested my head on his shoulder.

 

He laced his fingers around mine and brought my hand up to his lips. He kissed my knuckles softly. “You worry too much. How about we go to the cabin this weekend. We'll work on homework and stuff.” He winked at me.

 

I pulled my hand away. “I'm pretty sure we'd just be doing 'and stuff'. Like we do whenever we are alone.”

 

“I never hear you complaining. You don't say much at all. It's just all and swearing.”

 

“Stop.” I swatted at his arm. “You're embarrassing me.”

 

“Who's around here to hear?” He gave me a quick peck on the cheek.

 

“I have to get back home. I have a lot of work to do.”

 

“Okay.” Yunho stood. He helped me to my feet. “Come over later. After dinner.”

 

“I'll try. I have a lot of homework.”

 

“I know. Just come over. I have something for you.”

 

I nodded and gave him a kiss. Yunho's mouth was cool and tasted sweet from the slushie. He rested his hands on my shoulders and played with my hair. I leaned into his touch. I didn't want to go home, but homework and chores were waiting for me.

 

 

I finished my homework quickly enough, so I threw in a load of laundry and started to vacuum. I felt lightheaded half way through the living room. I sat on the sofa, trying to will myself to feel better. The room was spinning and I felt suddenly hot. I hunched over with my head between my knees, hoping that would help ease the dizziness.

 

“Jaejoong,” Mom started to scold me. She stopped. “Are you okay?”

 

“I'm not feeling well.”

 

Mom pushed my hair back and rested her hand on my forehead. “You don't feel warm. When did you last eat?”

 

“I don't remember. Breakfast, maybe.”

 

“That's what's wrong. Eat a good dinner and you'll feel better. Leave the rest of your chores until tomorrow.”

 

“Alright. Do you need help cooking?”

 

Mom took my hand. “Make the salad for me.”

 

I sat at the island and began to cut the cucumbers. I was quiet. My head was pounding.

 

“If you're still not feeling well, go lay down until dinner.”

 

“I'm okay. I just need some aspirin.”

 

“Drink some water first. Don't take anything until after you eat.” Mom turned back to the stove. “How is everything going with Yunho? I feel like I barely see him anymore.”

 

“He's good. Everyone is really busy with the wedding.”

 

“And he's getting along well with Michiko?”

 

“I guess.” I popped a piece of cucumber in my mouth. “He's still nervous, I think. He doesn't want to forget his mom, so he's closing himself off.”

 

“It makes sense. His mother was the sweetest little angel in high school.”

 

“You know Yunho's mom in high school?” I was shocked.

 

“A little bit. I was a junior when she was a freshman. But we did have choir together. I had completely forgot about her, to be honest.”

 

“Oh. She must have had Yunho young.”

 

“Yeah. Right out of high school if I remember. It's not important now, though. Yunho needs to learn that letting another person into his heart isn't going to replace his mother. Now, set the table for me, please.”

 

“After dinner can I go over to Yunho's? He said he wants to give me something.”

 

“Is your homework done?”

 

“Almost. The only thing left isn't due til next Monday. I won't stay long.” I fold the napkins and placed them on the plates.

 

“Just a quick visit. I don't want you getting sick. Call your sister down for dinner.”

 

Dinner was unusually quiet. Dad seemed tired and Jaehwa wasn't interested in what anyone had to say. Mom and I talked instead.

 

Jaehwa and I washed the dishes before I left to go see Yunho. He was sitting on the front porch waiting for me. He pulled me close and gave me a quick peck on the cheek.

 

“I'm glad you came. Here.” Yunho handed me a small cardboard box. “I found it, digging through some stuff.”

 

Inside the box was a necklace with a small tear drop shaped sapphire. I stared at Yunho, gaping.

 

“I hope it's not too feminine. It was Mom's. I want you to have it.”

 

“It's too much. It was your Mom's.” I tried to hand the box back to him. He pushed my hands back.

 

“No. Keep it. I really, really want you to have it.”

 

“Yunho...”

 

“Stop.” He took the necklace out of the box. “Turn around.”

 

I followed his orders and he hooked the necklace around my neck. He kissed my neck above the clasp.

 

“It looks nice on you. It was Mom's birthstone. I think Dad got it for her, before I was born. I inherited most of Mom's stuff. I don't know what to do with any of it. I'm sure Michiko doesn't want to see it all the time.”

 

“She's not gone forever. She would love to know that you, and Changmin and your dad are being taken care of.”

 

Yunho shrugged. He touched the pendent with his first finger. “It does look nice on you. I thought it would be to girly, but on you, it's nice.”

 

“It's just so much.” I touched Yunho's hand.

 

“It's perfect for you.” Yunho pinched my chin and tilted my head up. He kissed me slowly, molding his lips against mine. I cupped his cheek, I traced the scar on his face with my thumb. I didn't want to stop kissing him, but he pulled away from me. “Jaejoongie,” he moaned slightly.

 

“I have to get home,” I murmured.

 

“I know. I'll see ya tomorrow.”

 

My walk home was weird. There was something off about the way Yunho was acting. I wanted to turn around and go back and talk with him.

 

I crawled into bed and read for a little while, trying to get my mind off of Yunho's odd behavior.

 

 

 

I was still tired when I woke up the next morning. I walked to Yunho's house so we could walk to school together. Junsu was already there with Yoochun and Changmin.

 

“Yunho's in a pissy mood this morning,” Changmin yawned. “He was pissy last night too.”

 

“I wonder what's wrong with him,” I said slowly.

 

“Michiko's like, perfect and that pisses him off. He wants to hate her. But she's really awesome and that's putting Yunho in a bad mood,” Yoochun explained. “He just wants her to be a bad person.”

 

“Shut up, Yoochun.” Yunho slammed the door in a huff and stomped down the stairs. I raced to catch up to him.

 

“Yoochun didn't mean...”

 

“Yeah he did. He knows exactly what he was doing. He's trying to get me mad.”

 

“No, he's not. He's right. You want to hate Michiko so much that it's killing you that people like her. She's nice, Yunho. She's trying to get to know you. Give her a chance.”

 

“I don't want to.” Yunho walked faster.

 

“You have to!” I screamed after him. “I'm not getting into a fight with my boyfriend over his stepmother! You have to at least tolerate her. She's a part of your life now and you have to deal with that.”

 

“I have to hate her! I have to hate her so she knows that I still love my mother. Changmin doesn't remember Mom and that's not his fault, but Dad remembers Mom. And he's replacing her,” Yunho screamed at me. He sank to the ground and cried.

 

“Yunho, that's not what's happening right now. Your dad will never stop loving your mom. He just wants to love someone else.” I pulled Yunho on to my lap and kissed his cheeks. “Yunho, it's going to be okay. Just try to be nice to her.” I wiped the tears off Yunho's face and hugged him tighter.

 

“I'm acting like a child. A stupid, pathetic child.”

 

I smoothed his hair down. “No. You're hurting. Just give her a chance.”

 

He touched the sapphire lightly. “Wear this all the time, please. I need to see someone I care about wearing it.”

 

“Okay. You ready to stand up now. We don't want to be late for school.” I stood slowly, pulling Yunho with me.

 

“I'm sorry. I must look like a fool.” Yunho hung his head and wouldn't look me in the eyes.

 

“A little. But I don't really understand your emotions right now. I'll try to understand.” I laced my fingers into his and smiled at him. “Everything is going to be okay.”

 

After that, most of the school day passed with out much drama. Except around lunch time. I was dizzy and tired and the smells from the cafeteria were making me feel sick. I decided to eat lunch in the court yard, away from the heat and odors of the cafeteria.

 

Junsu joined me outside. “Are you okay? You've been acting funny.”

 

“Yeah. Just tired. I think I'm getting a cold.”

 

He reached over and laid his hand on my forehead. “You don't feel warm.”

 

“I'm mostly tired. I woke up tired. I'm working too hard and stressing myself out. I'll be fine once school is out.”

 

Junsu eyed me suspiciously. “If you say so. Relax. I need you at the top of your game. How else am I going to pass math?”

 

“You need a miracle.”

 

“Hey!” Junsu laughed and pushed my shoulder. I laughed and pushed back against him.

 

“I'm really fine. With the wedding, and school, and Yunho's... whatever he wants to call it.”

 

“I know. He's taking this really hard, isn't he?”

 

“Yeah. It's just been the three of them for the longest time. And it was really sudden. And I think he has this picture of his mother in his head and believes she was perfect. No one is going to live up to his memory of his mom.”

 

Junsu nodded. “The bell's gonna ring soon. See ya after school?”

 

“Yup. My house for dinner tonight?”

 

“Of course!” Junsu smiled. He ran up the stairs toward his class. I made the wise choice to walk to my class.

 

I spent the rest of my classes staring at clocks, praying for the day to end. When the final bell finally rang I jogged to the front door to wait for Yunho, Changmin, Yoochun and Junsu.

 

I was sitting on the steps when I heard someone giggle. I peeked around the corner and saw Junsu. His back was towards me and he was blocking the person he was talking to. He was whispering to lowly for me to make out any words. Junsu laughed again and took a step closer to the person. I think they kissed. I ducked back around the corner when they separated. It wasn't my business. If Junsu was dating someone, he would tell me in his own time. Though I was deadly curious as to who he was with.

 

Junsu walked around the corner, straightening his uniform. I tried not to laugh and give away the fact that I knew... Something, I guess.

 

Yunho and Changmin descended the front stairs to where we were sitting. Yunho sat behind me and pulled me back so I was leaning against him.

 

Yoochun finally showed up, rounding the opposite corner Junsu and his mystery person were in. I had a suspicious that Yoochun was the mystery person, but I didn't want to accuse anyone. Nor did I want to expose my poor spying skills.

 

We walked to my house and I kept a sharp eye on Yoochun and Junsu, trying to catch any change in their behavior. If they did start a relationship, they were the best actors I had ever met.

Everything was going so normally. My life was perfect, despite the stress. I had a great boyfriend, and great friends. Nothing could possibly go wrong. At least I thought nothing could go wrong.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone!! I feel like either I never update anything or I update everything in like a three day span.

Anyway, I made a tumblr for my fanfics. Follow me maybe? http://serenitygracethings.tumblr.com/   I'll follow everyone back. Also, I post updates and sneak peeks of upcoming chapters or stories. :) :) :)

And as always, give parkmincheon lots of praise and love for this plotbunny. I love it so much and it's a lot of fun to write!