Chapter 11

This is Our Story

Two weeks flew by like it was nothing. School remained stressful, but the others tried to help me stay calm. I yelled a lot, mostly at Yunho.

 

The most stress filled day was Monday of the first week. We had a combined family meeting at my house. There was so much to talk about and I was nervous about everything.

 

“The first thing we need to talk about is Yunho moving in with you,” Mr. Jung said. “I don't like that idea.”

 

“Dad...” Yunho argued.

 

“Don't start, Yunho,” Mr. Jung said. “Listen, I don't think that you and Jaejoong living together is going to be a good idea. I think Yunho should stay at home.”

 

“I agree with you, Dongwook. But I think it's really important to listen to the kids and their reasons for wanting to live together,” Michiko said calmly.

 

“I just want Yunho close by. I know we're young and stupid. And this whole situation is really, really messed up, but I need Yunho close. I...” I turned to Yunho. “I love you. And I know how hard this is going to be, but I need you to help me.”

 

“I want to be with you too.” Yunho turned to his dad. “Dad, please. I know it's going to be difficult, but I need to be with Jaejoong. This is important to both of us and we need to raise the babies together. I start work next week and maybe after we graduate we can get a little apartment. Mom was young when she had me. Not as young as Jaejoong, but she was just out of high school.” Yunho took a deep breath. “I know we made a mistake, but we're in this together.”

 

I gripped Yunho's hand tighter. I felt like I was going to cry. It was stupid to think that we could live together and our parents would be okay with it.

 

“Yunho is always welcome here. He can spend the night as often as he wants,” Mom said calmly. “I understand that you have reservations about this, but Dongwook, the kids need each other right now. Please consider letting Yunho stay with us.”

 

“I just don't like the idea of Yunho not being home,” Mr. Jung said.

 

“I know. But Jaejoong needs to be with me right now. We only have a few more weeks til the end of school and Jaejoong's not going back in the fall. He needs us all to be supportive. And he needs Yunho,” Mom pleaded. “Jaejoong's not fragile, but he does feel much better when Yunho is around.”

 

“I just don't feel comfortable with letting my son live with his boyfriend.”

 

“It's not like I can get double pregnant or anything,” I murmured, a bit louder than I intended. Everyone stared at me. “I mean... We're already in this mess. And it's not like we knew that I could get pregnant in the first place, so this whole thing is just a freak accident. But that doesn't change the way we feel about each other.”

 

“That doesn't make living together okay,” Mr. Jung said pointedly. “I just think you are both too young.”

 

“And what about when the babies are born? Are we going to be too young then too?” Yunho asked. I had never heard him sound so angry.

 

“That's not the point, Yunho.”

 

I chewed on my lip. I didn't want this to turn into a huge fight between Yunho and his father.

 

“Dongwook, Yunho, calm down,” Mom said softly. “Let's try this on a trial basis. Yunho can live here part time a few days a week, maybe Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. And he could be home the rest of the time.”

 

“No. He's going to stay home. Maybe he can stay over Friday and Saturday night, but that's it. No more than that.”

 

“Dongwook.” Michiko pulled on Mr. Jung's arm. “The kids need each other right now. Just let Yunho stay with Jaejoong.”

 

“I don't want to be alone,” I said. “I just want Yunho to be with me. I'm lonely with out him. And sometimes, I wake up at night, scared. But I'm less scared when I can reach out and touch Yunho. We were stupid and made a mistake.”

 

“How could you have known?” Michiko asked. “I don' understand all the science about male pregnancies, but from what I've been reading there is no way you could have known. Not with out extensive genetic testing.”

 

I've never seen four adults argue so much. Yunho and I sat silently as our parents discussed the pros and cons of Yunho staying with me.

 

“Maybe for a few nights. I want you home most weeknights though. So, Friday, Saturday, Sunday are find, for now. If your grades slip or you start misbehaving, this whole thing is ending.” Mr Jung finally agreed.

 

“Thanks Dad. I just really want to take care of Jaejoong.” Yunho caressed my cheek. I leaned into his touch.

 

Yunho left with his dad and Michiko. We stood in the doorway for long minutes, Yunho's hands resting on my hips and my arms around his neck.

 

We kissed slowly, chastely. He tucked a lock of hair behind my ear. “I love you. I'll see ya in the morning.”

 

“Okay. I love you, too.”

 

 

 

The Wednesday before my second appointment was the worst day as far as my moods went. We were walking home from school and I was exhausted and hungry. I hadn't eaten much that day because I didn't want to get sick at school.

 

Yunho was talking mindlessly about the babies and his new job. I didn't want to talk. I just wanted to get home so I could lay down on my bed and nibble on some crackers.

 

“Aren't you excited?” Yunho asked. “I can't wait to take you shopping for baby stuff. We're going to need two of everything.”

 

“Will you shut up!” I yelled. “I really don't care right now. I'm too tired to think about shopping, and babies, and everything we are going to need. I'm too stressed out to care.” I ran up the stairs to my room. There was a sleeve of crackers on my nightstand, but I didn't reach for them. I took a deep breath and bit my lip as I tried not to be upset.

 

“Jaejoongie? Are you feeling okay?”

 

“Can you not talk for a while?” I asked. I turned away from Yunho.

 

“Okay.”

 

I felt the bed drip behind me a second before Yunho curled around me. He kissed my shoulder. I sighed as Yunho nuzzled against my neck.

 

I rolled over in his arms and snuggled my head under his chin. Thankfully, we laid there for a long time, silent. I focused on Yunho's breathing and his hands lightly rubbing my lower back.

 

“I'm sorry,” I squeaked. I took another deep breath, inhaling the spicy, sweet scent of Yunho's skin. I ed his shirt and pushed it off his shoulders.

 

“Jaejoongie?” he asked slowly.

 

“I just need skin.” I peeled my shirt off and cuddled closer to Yunho. He ran his fingers up and down my back. I tucked my head under his chin.

 

“Just rest, Jaejoongie.” Yunho kissed the top of my head. “I love you.” The feeling of his skin against mine calmed my mind. He peppered butterfly kisses across my face.

 

“Wake me up for dinner,” I yawned.

 

 

 

The morning of my appointment was rainy and dark. And the day seemed to drag on.

 

Mom picked me and Yunho up after school and drove us to the Dr Jang's office. “Are you sure you want me to wait outside? I can come in and wait in the waiting room.”

 

“We'll be fine. I want this moment for me and Yunho. That sounds weird, I know.” I bit my lip.

 

“Okay. I understand, I really do.” She kissed my cheek.

 

Yunho and I walked into the office. Dr. Jang smiled and ushered me into the exam room. The office was empty, again. Dr. Jang said she would make sure no one was around, to protect my privacy.

 

“Change into this gown and I'll be right back.”

 

I changed quickly and hopped on to the table. Yunho scooted as close to the table as he could. He held my hand tightly.

 

“Don't be nervous,” I said. I kissed his knuckles and smiled.

 

“I'm not nervous.” He squeezed my hand tighter.

 

Dr. Jang knocked on the door before stepping in. “Okay, Jaejoong, step on the scale please.” She wrote down my weight. “Good. Good. How are you feeling?”

 

“Okay. I'm not getting as sick after I eat, but I still throw up almost every day.”

 

“That should pass in a few weeks. When do you normally get sick?”

 

“After I eat in the morning, usually. And late at night. I try to lay down to go to sleep and my stomach is just churning. It's getting a little bit better. But I still can't eat normally.”

 

“That's normal. Try peppermint candies and tea. And eat smaller meals more often. Now, I need to draw some blood for tests. I'm going to test your hormone levels and blood sugar.”

 

I gulped. Yunho tightened his grip on my hand. “That's not going to help. I need you to actually hold me.”

 

Yunho laughed softly. “Okay.” He wrapped his arms around my shoulders. He turned my head away from Dr. Jang and I buried my face into his neck. I took a deep breath and started counting slowly.

 

I yelped when I felt the needle pierce my skin. I tried to pull away, but Yunho squeezed me tighter, holding me in place.

 

“All done. I'm all done,” Dr. Jang. “I've never seen a person with such a fear of needles. Are you okay?”

 

“I will be,” I said softly. Yunho kissed my cheek and wiped the tears off my face. I didn't even realize I cried.

 

“I'll bring these to the lab and be right back for you ultrasound.”

 

“Are you okay?” Yunho asked.

 

“Yeah. I just really hate needles.”

 

Dr. Jang returned and sat in the chair next to the table. She pulled the ultrasound machine closer. “Okay. Lay back Jaejoong and we'll see how those babies are doing.” She squeezed a large amount of the gel on my stomach and moved the wand through it, staring at the screen. I looked over at Yunho. He was also staring at the screen, trying to make sense of the image.

 

“There they are,” Dr. Jang said. “Right here and here.” She circled two black dots on the screen. “Listen. You can hear the heartbeats.” Dr. Jang a speaker on the machine.

 

The room was quiet for a moment. I closed my eyes; the soft sounds of two tiny hearts filled the room.

 

“Why does it sound so weird?” Yunho asked.

 

“Well, for one, there are two heartbeats, so what your hearing is the overlap. Also, at this stage a baby's heartbeat is a little erratic. They are doing great. One twin's heart is a little faster than the other's but they are both well within normal ranges.”

 

“Yunho? Are you okay?” I asked. Yunho was staring at the screen. I sat up and cupped his cheek. It was damp. “You're crying.”

 

“I'm... I'm just really excited. Those are our babies. They're so beautiful. Jaejoong, I love you so much.” He took my hand and kissed my wrist.

 

“Everything looks perfect. I'll run the tests myself and call you when I get the results.” Dr. Jang wrote a few notes in my chart. “There's one other thing I want to talk to you about. Male pregnancies are incredibly rare, as you know. After you have the twins I'd like to write a case study about you.”

 

“I don't know. I kinda didn't want anyone to know.”

 

“I don't think you can keep it a secret forever. You're going to have to be admitted to a hospital to have the babies. Think about it for a while. And discus it with your families. You can get dressed and you're free to go.”

 

We piled back into Mom's care. Mom took the picture of my ultrasound from me and began to cry. “Jaejoong, they are going to be so beautiful.” We were quiet for the ride home. I really didn't want to talk anyway.

 

I thought about Dr. Jang's request. Maybe a case study about me would help other people. I really didn't want the world to judge me and Yunho. I didn't want my life to become a media circus. I wanted to remain an anonymous face on the planet.

 

Yunho and I sat on my bed. He rubbed and touched my belly. I laid back slowly, pulling Yunho on top of me.

 

“Jaejoong? Do you want to?” Yunho asked.

 

“I don't know. I just want to kiss you and touch you. Okay?”

 

“Yeah. Okay.” He rolled off me and settled on his side. Pulling me closer he kissed my forehead softly. He kissed a line to my neck and gently on my skin.

 

Yunho undid the top three buttons on my shirt, pushing the fabric away to nip and kiss my collar bone. I carded my hands into his hair.

 

“Are you okay, Jaejoongie?” he asked. He lips brushed against my skin as he spoke.

 

“I'm okay. I'm just tired and feeling... I don't know. I just need to be held and touched.”

 

“Do you feel loved enough? Am I loving you enough?” Yunho slipped his hand under my shirt. “I don't want to push you. And I know you've been sensitive.”

 

“I feel loved. And you love on me enough. I'm sorry. I've been feeling like crap.”

 

“I know. I've noticed.” Yunho sighed. “I wish I could do more for you, but I don't know what to do.”

 

“You're doing great. I haven't been the easiest to get along with lately. I'm sorry my mood has been like a revolving door.”

 

He moved back up and kissed me, shutting me up effectively. “I don't care how often you're moods change or how angry you get at me, I'm right here and I'll take care of you.”

 

I hugged him tighter. Somehow he knew the right things to say, the exact things I need to hear. I pulled the comforter up over us and closed my eyes. Yunho kissed my cheek.

 

“I'm not going to let you sleep through dinner, so you can take an hour long nap.”

 

I nodded slowly. I knew I needed to eat, but the day had been emotionally draining and I just wanted to sleep. “If I yell at you when I wake up, I'm sorry in advance.”

 

------------------------------------------------

And here I thought I would be too tired to write because of my new job. But I had today and was able to really dedicate time to writing. I might update other stories tomorrow. Depends on how the day goes.