Progress

You're in My Life

It was silent until the gardener came next to the bush and clipped off a rose. She scraped off the thorns with one of her tools and gave the flower to me. “Here Miss Sunmi. You may keep it.”

I took the rose slowly, “Thank you so much.” The gardener nodded, “You are welcome.” Standing up, I bowed to her and left the garden to my room. I sat on my bed and put the rose in front of my face. My eyes stared at it, admiring the delicate features of the petals. Soon, I just might be able to grasp one in my dream. If only it was a little bit longer…

All I did in my room was daydream. I am always bored, so I daydream. Daydreaming about my dream. I really wish I could just find this boy again! But not with stalking, if we met by accident, then that might mean that it was destiny. I’m pretty sure we’ll see each other very soon.

A maid knocked on the door softly, “Miss Sunmi?” I cleared my throat, “You may come in.” She walked in and said, “Your mother says it’s time for your practicing with her.” I bowed, “Thank you.” And she left stood there waiting to me. I slipped off my bed lazily and set the rose on the nearby lamp table. I went with the maid to see mom. On the way, the maid asked me the usual stuff they say, “Would you like a hot towel?” “Um, no thank you, maybe next time?” I told her. “Some water?” “No, I’m fine.” She was just trying to be nice.

When we reached the room where my mom was, she was sitting in a chair. Mom turned around and thanked the maid, which the maid left us alone. My mom looked at her nails, “Well, do the usual warm ups.” I sighed, “Yes, mother…”

I did the warm ups for singing and when I was done, she stood up, “Alright, since you seem suitable with everything else, I’m going to make you sing a song to be recorded.” My eyes shone, did I make her proud or something!? Yay! But she continued, “And the song will be turned in to your school since they are one of the best art academies of singing, dancing, rapping, acting, etc. Your father and I need you to have a great future one day, so we are doing that. In my opinion, you are more improved in singing, so we will put dancing aside for a while.” Yay~ I’m still going to be recorded with a microphone and everything! So happy… I bowed respectfully trying to hide my excitement, “Thank you, umma.” She nodded, “Yes, you are welcome, daughter. Now, here is the song.”

She handed me some papers and I looked at it. The song writer was… my older brother! My eyes started to shine even more, “Umma! Oppa wrote this!?” She calmly (opposite of me, hehe) nodded, “Yes, he did, he created it just for you.” I started to cry a little, my older brother… so sweet of him. I gently wiped my eyes and skimmed over the paper. It was really complicated, just like the way my brother is. There were so many markings, but he knew I could handle his challenging work. I could just feel him smirking when he made this.

My mom studied me, wondering if I was up for the challenge. I looked at my mom, “I can do it.” Mom carefully said, “We shall see…”

Ah, my brother. He still had the time to write this even though he has studies to focus on. Mom looked really proud at my brother too, by the way she was smiling a little. I asked her, “How long do I have, mother?”

Her head came back to the present, “Oh, I would say about a month. Nothing you could not do, am I correct?” A month? Seems achievable. I nodded, “Ne, I think so.”

I looked at the paper again, it was called ‘So Far Away’. The lyrics seemed to talk about a love that was too far of a chance to get, but the girl still loved the guy anyways. There was this one line that caught me though ‘You give me a rose, but I can’t reach you…’ Hmm, that seems so familiar…

Mom pulled out an envelope and gave it to me, “Here Sunmi, this is from him. He wanted you to read it. Nobody has seen what it says yet. Open it.” I nodded and opened it. This is what it said:

‘Hello my little sister, I wish I could give you a visit, but as you can see, I am not able to because of my studies in America. To make it up for my absence, I decided to write a song for you. I know you’re up to my challenge, hehe, so do your best. I know you can do it, even if it’s a bit complicated. And, I know about your dream. I had visions of you dreaming about trying to grab a rose endlessly. So, who is that guy eh? I’m going to protect you from him if he ever does anything to you, haha! Just like a big brother should do, hehe. As you can see, I put some of the characteristics of your dream in the song ‘So Far Away’ ;), so sing them with your best passion! I sent five other challenging songs written by me, but I told mother to hold them until you finish ‘So Far Away’, so you’ll see them later, hopefully. Oh, and one of the songs require a duet with a boy~ ^^ hehe, sneaky me! I’m sure you’ll find a boy to sing with you! I should be coming next summer, but it’s about winter now, so don’t wait too long, Sunmi-ah. I hope you have a good time in Korea. Please let umma and appa take good care of you. Saranghae, my dongsaeng. –Oppa”

I clutched the letter close to me, I miss him so much. I knew a part of him went through the same thing I’m going through now: guards, no normal life. That’s one reason why he was so happy when he left. I read it again. So smart of him, having visions about my dream! We protect each other by telling each other something that might concern ourselves. I’m going to tell him about me dreaming of his wedding, ahaha. Oppa’s October wedding should probably be next year. Hahaha… So sweet of him though! Writing six songs, wow, that must have taken a lot of his time. I promise, I will do my best, for him. I can’t wait for the other songs! Hmm, the song with the duet with a boy, who shall it be? Someone from school? I don’t know… I’ll figure it out later. Yay, he might be coming in the summer! Again, I miss him so much. He’s the only person who has been really nice to me. Mom and dad don’t really do anything, as if I’m just a big pet trying to be in a lot of competitions. However, oppa knows what I’m going through since he experienced the same, except that he’s a guy, so I think he had a lot of burden for being the older son. I felt so bad for him, but he said not to worry about the past and just look into the future. His parting going to his studies made me so sad for a long time.

I gave the letter for mom to read for herself. While she was reading, I went through the lyrics over and over my head. Ah, there some really high notes, I slightly winced. Wow, he has really made this complicated for me… I’ll get him later.

After mom finished reading, she shook her head a little. I think I heard her murmur, “That silly boy of mine.” But I’m not sure. Maybe because of all his little laughs or something. Mom gave the letter back to me and she went to the CD player. Mom said, “Your brother made a song list for you to follow with him singing the songs on the disk. I want you to listen the first time, and the second time, attempt to follow along.” The “So Far Away” song started playing with my brother singing. He’s a really good singer too, and he even had music in the disk! It was a sweet song, and it was over. My mom replayed it and I tried singing along, but it was hard at first. Later, I got it and mother seemed really impressed, “You are a fast learner.” I bowed in respect, “Thank you mother.”

She said, “Sunmi, I want you to practice the song over and over again. This single song is due in a month, so we will try ever day to improve, improve, and improve. I want you to be the best at this song at that period. We will assign musicians to play the music according to your brother and we will record in about 3 weeks.” I nodded. Wow, this is actually real! Then she continued, “I do not want you to talk too much so your voice can be spared. I will see you at dinner.” And mom left the room while a maid came in to me.

I told the maid, “Wait! Can I download the song I’m singing onto my phone?” The maid thought, and then she said, “I will ask your mother.” She got a walkie talkie from her pocket and said some special code that only the guards, maids, and my parents know of. Even back then, my brother couldn’t figure out what they were saying, so I gave up too. I heard a muffled voice from the other end. I couldn’t tell if it was my mother or not, but the maid put the device back in her pocket and she said, “Your mother agrees, as long as you download only ONE song.” I nodded, confused. What? Only one song? What does that mean? So are the other songs are on the disk right now too! Ah, I’m so tempted! Sadly, I cannot do that…

I finished the download and stuff and the maid watched me carefully in case I did anything bad. I finished cleaning up while getting the song and she walked me back in my room to get ready for dinner.

She locked me in my room, like always. I sighed, I’m like an imprisoned bird. I sat on my bed, looking at the rose I had from the garden. I felt this kind of warm glow coming from the flower, like magic. I held it in my hand, gently touching the tips of the petals. After getting ‘ready’, I listened to the song one more time before the maids came to get me for dinner.

The three of us ate in silence again, but this was normal. I was the first to finish and I was sent to my room with a maid. It was too early to sleep and dream, so I went to the little machine that allows me to talk to my parents or head butler if I wanted anything. “Hello?”

“Ms. Sunmi?” out a butler’s voice.

“Yes, um, may I go to the family music room and practice the piano?” I was bored and I felt in the music mood thanks to my brother’s song.

“Please await.” So I waited. Then his voice came back, “Your parents allow. We will send an for you.” Conversation over.

Another maid came and took me to the room. I loved this room, since there were all these instruments I could freely play. The maid left me alone in the room, but that doesn’t mean I’m not watched. Video cameras were in all rooms.

I walked to the piano and thought of something to play. I played a song my brother taught me. When he played it a long time ago, people used to come watch him and cry, even me. But ever since he moved, it doesn’t happen anymore. Everyone tells me how much they miss him, like the maids and butlers, but I miss him the most.

I felt water in my eyes, just playing his familiar notes brought memories. My fingers faltered halfway and wouldn’t move to play anymore. I hung my head down and let the little tears fall to the ground. I heard a shuffling near the door and I looked who it was, a crying maid. She whispered, “That was beautiful. Just as beautiful as your brother played.”

I nodded, everyone misses him a lot. I went back to my room again. I sadly sat in my bed, thinking of my brother. His kindness, everything…

After I settled down, I went to get ready for sleep. Before turning off my lamp, I held the rose again. There was something… special, about it. I turned my lamp off. I couldn’t stop thinking about that boy who I crashed into with. Who is he? Was it just an accident? More questions filled my mind again and again, until I was getting so dizzy of these questions. I slowly fell asleep.

The next day was boring, nothing much. Wake up, eat, stay locked in my room, eat again, walk around, stay locked in my room, take my own tutored classes, eat, stay locked in my room, sleep. But I had the dream this time.

I was at the park again. And there he was, that Y guy. I tried to make my sluggish legs move, but it seemed like they would go the same speed like always. I was finally next to him and he smiled at me. Wait, something was different, his face seemed more noticeable. His features more clear, now perfectly recognizable. Focusing, I reached out to take the rose from his hand…

I woke up to the sound of my phone. I grumpily reached to it, this person calls me while I try to finish my poor dream! This better be good… “Hello?” I sleepily asked.

“Sunshine!” Eunji’s voice came out the other end. Oh, it’s just Eunji.

I forgivingly said, “Hi Jiji…”

“Good morning! I just called to say that in one of my shopping bags, I found the necklace that I wanted from that jewelry store! At first, I was thinking, ‘Oh no, did I accidently steal this!?’ but then I remembered that you were there with me at that store. So, did you buy it for me, Sunmi?”

I quietly said, “Um, yeah… Do you like it?”

She screamed, “OF COURSE I DO!!! THANK YOU SUNMI!!!”

I shushed, “Shh, not so loud! It’s still morning, but you’re welcome Eunji! Thanks for being an awesome friend.” Eunji coed, “Aww, moneybags.”

I froze, I have to pretend like I’m just a normal person, not some rich spoiled girl. I weakly said, “Ah, um, no, I’m not that rich…” Her voice squealed, “Anyways, I have to go now! See you in a while at school, unnie!”

Thankful that she changed the subject, I said, “Okay, bye Eunji!” “Bye!” she hung up.

I sighed, I was almost able to reach the flower. A maid knocked on the door. Defeated, I called, “Come in.”

She bowed and asked, “Did you have a good morning, Miss Sunmi?” I nodded, “Yes, but my friend called me while I was asleep, so you may report to my mother that my dream was incomplete.”

The maid said, “Yes, of course.” and she helped me get ready for school, not like I did need any help now that I’m old enough. At breakfast, my parents were already there. I sat down and ate the fancy breakfast that I never wanted. When I was almost done eating, my mom spoke up, “Sunmi.” I answered, “Yes mother?” She strongly questioned, “Did you finish your dream?” I waited a moment before answering her, “… No.” She frowned disapprovingly, “And may you tell me why?” I sighed, “My friend called me in the morning. Two days ago, at the mall, I secretly bought her a necklace that was too expensive for her. I put it in her shopping bags, so this morning, she called to me about it.”

I know that the guard probably told her that already about yesterday. Also, all radio waves are observed by the guards, so they know that Eunji called me, and they record all phone calls for safety, so my conversation with Eunji is all on audio.

My mom nodded; she already knew of this. I always tell the truth since I’m going to get caught by cameras or something, and the punishments are horrible.

To prove that I didn’t fail completely, I told her, “However, in my dream, when I looked at the boy, his facial features seemed clearer, more zoomed in.” She nodded, taking in my answer. She asked, “Do you have any idea who this boy is?” Ah, should I tell her? No… not yet. I don’t think anyone should know besides myself. I don’t know exactly who he is, but later, if I find out something, they’ll know I lied. I quietly stated, “There may be a possibility.” My mom raised her eyebrows, “Tell me more.” I slowly told her, “The boy who I crashed into yesterday at the mall was the same boy in my dreams.”

Mom was silent for 5 seconds, then she said, “Is that all?” I nodded respectfully, taking a glance at my father who had his attention on a high tech gadget. Then my mom asked, “Would you like for the guards to, say, hunt him down? It is your choice.” My eyes widened, “What! No! Don’t do that! The poor boy didn’t even do anything to me! It wouldn’t be fair. If I was destined to meet him again, then I shall, but not by force.” I then blinked, I didn’t know I could make such a speech like that. Wow.

Thankfully, she calmly told me, “Alright, we shall not. Now, be prepared for school and your junior guard will be with you at school.” Oh! I almost forgot about him! I said, “Yes, mother. Farewell.” Mom lazily stated, “Farewell, Sunmi-ah.”

I was sent back into my room to get ready. After I was done, I had to go into the limo. Sadly, riding in a limo every day to school will not make me look normal at all…

Inside the limo was my junior guard. He was a handsome one with brown hair, but obviously, he’s off limits and I cannot have a love relationship with any of my guards. I had my dream guy on my mind to worry about anyway. I slid in the seat next to him while the driver drove to school, “Hello!” His doll face smiled, “Hello Miss Sunmi.” He had an angelic voice; there’s going to be a problem with girls at school. I beamed back, “Um, what am I supposed to call you at school?”

He blinked, “Your cousin.” I rephrased, “Wait, I meant, your name. Sorry…” He opened his mouth, “That is okay. My apologies. Oh, well, my real name is Lu Han, but I am supposed to be called Luhan at school on the orders of your parents.” I nodded, “Well, ‘Luhan’, I wish you good luck.” He informally said, “Thank you, ‘Sunmi’” I laughed at his playfulness, “So, are you older than me?” Luhan nodded, “Yes, so you are my dongsaeng.”

To get to know my ‘cousin’ better, I asked more questions, “Um, where are you supposed to be from?” His angelic voice answered, “I am from China and your parents said that I should say that. I know Mandarin too, so I am safe.” This guard seemed so friendly! I told him in Mandarin, “You understand Chinese too?” His eyes sparkled, “Yes! That’s great!” I took Chinese classes along with many other languages so that’s pretty cool that Luhan can talk in Chinese too.

Mr. Doll Face switched back, “I also have 5 other junior guards that can talk in Mandarin too. And 6 more who can talk in Korean really fluently. All of them are like brothers to me.” I bobbed my head, “Maybe I’ll meet them one day.” He said, “I hope you do to. We can ‘hang out’ sometime too with our masters’ daughter.” I laughed, “You mean ‘watch over’ your masters’ daughter?” Laughing too, Luhan said, “Yes, that too.”

The limo stopped and Luhan opened got out to open the door for me. “Thank you Luhan!” I piped as I climbed out. He bowed, “You’re welcome Sunmi.” We prepared to walk through the school gates while Luhan kept a close eye around us for any danger. My ears listened to Luhan taking a deep breath. I calmly told him, “Ready?” He nodded, “Yeah, it’s my first time going to a public school.” All the guards had to take private training at my mansion, ever since they were born. I gave a sympathetic smile, “It’s going to be okay. Let’s go.” Luhan followed me through the gates, “Thank you, Sunmi. You’re very kind.”

I'm so sorry my readers for not uploading for like the longest time XO But I'm on Winter vacation so I might update more chapters for you! Just stay with me for a little longer! And it looks like I'm adding some EXO in this story too! Haha, so keep waiting for more! Thanks so much! ^^