New Family

You're in My Life

They all smiled at their accomplishment. D.O burst in the room with a cart with silver trays, “Food!”

Before anyone made a move, Suho suggested, “Let’s all go to another room. We don’t want to get messy in here. This is the study room after all, not a food court for boys who eat like wolves.” Kris agreed, “Definitely.”

The boys stood up and Chanyeol’s deep voice said, “After you, Sunmi.” She gladly replied, “Aww, thank you Chanyeol.” Behind her back, Chanyeol winked at the other members and whispered, “Game on, gentlemen. Game on.” Next to him, Sehun playfully glared, “Oh, it’s on.”

The members all knew that even though they were just all playing, their main goal was to protect Sunmi with all they’ve got. Competition was really fun, but that came second. Protecting their little princess was always first.

As they walked out of the room, Tao asked, “Um, where are we even going?” Sehun stopped, “That’s a good question. Where?”

Chen snorted, “The dining hall of course! Where else?”

“We could have eaten in the garden.”

“Or the living room too.”

“And the porch with fresh air.”

“Don’t forget the lounge room.”

Chen glowered at the members who dared made an answer to his rhetorical question. His curt voice said, “Yah, shh. I’m picking the dining hall to eat.” Suho said, “Yes, we should all go there since Chen said the dining hall first.” The boys nodded and they escorted Sunmi to the dining hall to eat.

Kai gratefully help D.O pull the food cart behind them. Kai asked the cook, “So, what did you make us?”

D.O gave his heart shaped smile, “I made a few Western dishes, but mostly Korean. And a few Chinese dishes too. There’s a little surprise too. But no peeking yet.” He winked at the hungry ones who were drooling.

Tao whined, “D.O hyung, tell us!” Kyungsoo playfully shook his head, “I know you’ll like it though, don’t worry.” Sunmi said, “D.O, you practically made a feast! You must be pretty good.” The big eyed boy blushed madly, “Thanks Miss, I mean, Sunmi. Thank you for the complement.” Sunmi smiled cutely.

She sure smiles a lot, that’s good thought Luhan. After all she’s been through, she’s a strong person. Oh wait, I must go report that she’s eating with us tonight.

Luhan paused and spoke into his microphone, “Mr. Kang, your daughter is going to eat dinner with the junior guards tonight. Do you approve?” His voice muffled back, with a slight sob, “Yes, I give you my consent. Take care of her well.”

Luhan rose his eyebrows, something about Mr. Kang’s voice didn’t seem right. “Yes sir, of course. But is something wrong?”

“Oh, your fellows Kris and Sehun did not tell you yet?”

“I’m sorry sir. They have not. I will go ask them.”

“Yes, ask them. It is extremely important. But for now, I must go.”

“Goodbye, sir.”

“Farwell, Luhan. And tell my daughter that she will not have any practicing tonight with her mother.”

“Yes sir.” Luhan put the device away and jogged to catch up with the group.

Luhan pulled Kris and Sehun over to the side and quietly asked them, “What happened earlier?”

Sehun made sure no one else was listening, “Sunmi’s brother was captured in the states. Madam Kang found out and she fainted.” Kris solemnly nodded, “She’s in the hospital now, but she is set to come out tomorrow.” Luhan was shocked, Sunmi’s brother was captured? Luhan felt extremely sad. One of his masters was missing, and he couldn’t do anything to help.

A long time ago, when Sunmi was just a baby, Luhan and her brother were young best friends. But then the Kang family had to go to America a few months later, and Luhan was left behind because here was his home. The two kept in touch, but with the time zones and busy schedules, it was hard. Her brother visited Luhan sometimes, but they both knew it was not enough. They were still best friends today, even Exo knew that. But with Sunmi’s brother’s kidnapping, Luhan felt heartbroken.

Kris patted his shoulder, “We’ll find him soon.” Luhan nodded and shrugged off the negative feelings. He’d mourn later. He didn’t want to lose his appetite now with dinner on the way.

Sunmi saw Luhan’s sad face and as he became closer to her, she touched his shoulder, “Are you okay?”

Luhan gazed up, “Oh, yeah. Sorry. I’m g-good.”

Sunmi saw through his lie, but kept quiet. Luhan then remembered, “Sunmi, your father told me that you won’t have practice today, just to let you know.”

“Thank you, Luhan! I would rather be with Exo instead of my cranky mother today anyways.”

If only she knew…  Luhan thought.

They stepped inside the magnificent dining room. There was already a long table set up for them and D.O started putting the dishes on the table. Sehun and Kai put utensils around empty plates. Chen set up thirteen cups. The others helped each other prepare dinner.

Sunmi watched attentively as all twelve gentlemen worked together in unison. As a team. They must be really close to each other. They’re comfortable with each other so much. That’s really sweet.

She stood with the smells of food and little commotion coming around. As D.O passed near her, she asked him, “Do you guys need any help?” Kyungsoo smiled, “No, it is fine. We’ve got it.” Sunmi pouted, “But I want to help.”

Sunmi looked so cute with her pout, D.O couldn’t refuse, “Ah, okay then. You can help with Chanyeol over there, Sunmi.” The tall guy heard his name and waved happily. Sunmi walked over and helped.

Soon, everything was finished and everyone was ready to eat. Kai clapped, “Thank you so much for making fried chicken, D.O! It looks so good!” D.O grinned, “I knew you would like it.”

Baekhyun joked, “It’s like you have a separate stomach only for chicken, Kai. You’re obsessed with it.”

Kai countered, “No I’m not. I just, like chicken.”

Baekhyun made his voice deeper, “A lot.” The dancing machine glared at the jokester. Tao and Sehun laughed themselves on the floor.

 Luhan shook his head from their childish acts, “We’re so sorry, Sunmi. They’re just, immature sometimes.” “No, no. They’re fine, Luhan. I really don’t mind at all,” replied Sunmi with a kind smile.

Sehun and Tao got up from the floor, remembering the ‘competition’. Then, Tao’s stomach growled loudly, “Oops.” It was everyone else’s turn to laugh and Tao gave a weak hungry, “I’m hungry, can we eat now?” Chen cheered, “Let’s eat!”

Lay, Baekhyun, and Sehun were fighting to open up Sunmi’s seat for her to sit. Lay tugged at it while Sehun grunted, “It’s mine,” and Baekhyun argued, “I got here first!” Sunmi giggled as Chanyeol walked over and lightly pushed them aside, “Ahem.” Lay, Sehun, and Baekhyun backed off defeated and slumped to their own seats.

Chanyeol made a huge grin, “Here you go Sunmi.” Sunmi acted serious again and sat, “Thank you, Mr. Park. You are such a gentleman.” She gave a big wink to him.

Sehun sighed, “That’s not fair…” Chanyeol chuckled, “Two points for me again.”

Baekhyun gave a shout, “Sunmi-ah! I’m better than him! You’ll see that very soon! Don’t worry!” She laughed, “I can’t wait.” Baekhyun gave a devious smirk to Chanyeol.

The dinner plates were soon filled with delicious food. Before Kai could take his first bite, Suho announced, “May I have a toast, Sunmi?”

“Of course, Suho. Go on,” she kindly said.

Suho cleared his throat, “Thank you. Let’s remember this night where Exo has formally and officially met with the wonderful and elegant Miss Sunmi. This night where we shall soon become more comfortable with each other since we’ll all be together for a long time. We will share many memories with each other in the future.”

They clinked glasses and drank the sparkling cider. Alcohol was restricted in the household after Sunmi’s father earlier experience with being drunk in his children’s danger with the black cloaked man in the garden.

As they ate, a specific member had an observant eye. “D.O, do I see… beef!?” gasped Luhan.

Exo whipped their heads around to see the delicious meat. D.O scratched behind his neck, “Um, yeah. That’s the surprise.”

Baekhyun stood up from his chair and went to D.O’s spot. Everyone stared as Baekhyun dramatically hugged D.O from behind and shouted, “Oh, I love you D.O! Beef!” D.O gasped for air, “Yah, get off me! And you’re welcome!” Baekhyun finally let go and went back to his original seat as everyone laughed.

“You guys are a good group of people,” Sunmi warmly stated. Lay shrugged, “We’re all family, right?” Exo agreed and Tao added, “And now, you’re part of the Exo family!”

Sunmi had a fuzzy feeling. Her new ‘family’ made her want to cry in happiness. She was actually wanted, as a person. Excluding her brother since he was actually her first and only friend until the move to Korea.

Chen said, “And you can be like a little sister, even though we’re supposed to be ‘cousins’ in public. But you’ll be our little sister to us!”

On Sunmi’s left, Luhan bravely choked out the words, “Just like we’re your old brothers.” Sehun rapidly said to cover, “That’s right, you now have thirteen older brothers now.”

Sunmi felt speechless and she felt tears almost spilling. She murmured, “Thanks.”

Next to her on her right, Suho took a handkerchief from his pocket and held it out to her.

She whispered, “Thank you, Suho.” He nodded, “No problem.”

Xiumin spoke, “Are you alright, Sunmi?” She looked down at her lap, “Yes. Yes I am. I’m just happy that I actually feel wanted. My parents don’t even treat me as their child correctly. But with you guys, I automatically felt welcomed.”

Luhan softly assured, “Don’t worry, Sunmi. We’ll always be here for you, as protectors and friends.”

D.O said, “Exo will always protect you.”

Kris said, “No matter what, always.”

Sunmi looked up and saw twelve perfectly sincere smiles gleaming at her. She wiped away a glistening tear, “Thanks… Thank you.”

They finished dinner and Chen suggested that they go into the karaoke room. They sang their hearts out, especially D.O, Baekhyun, Luhan, and Chen. Sunmi sang a solo song and the twelve boys clapped and cheered. Tao even said, “Sunmi, you and Chen should do a collaboration one day. You two love singing.” Sunmi blushed immediately, “Maybe one day, yes.”

There was school the next day, and the night was getting late. Exo escorted Sunmi in front of her room and bid goodnight.

Sunmi laid in her bed soon afterwards and drifted to sleep, dreaming again about that special boy.

In the hospital, Mr. Kang sat in the chair across from his wife’s bed. He fiddled his fingers.

A nurse came in and reported, “She is doing fine. The cause was from over stress. Just give her plenty of rest and water.”

Mr. Kang rubbed his forehead, “Thank you,” and she left.

He sat with extreme worry in his head. His wife was in a hospital. His daughter was in danger. And worst of all, his son was captured.

When Mr. Kang found out a few hours earlier, he was in an outrage, “Where!? When did this happen!?”

One of his unfortunate agents coughed, “S-sir, sir. He was walking back from the convenience store nearby his apartment with groceries. Out of nowhere, the-the enemy’s workers covered a huge bag over him and he tried fighting them off, but there were too many of them. They threw him in one of their black vans without a license plate and drove off into one of their headquarters. We used the city’s street cameras as proof. There were no public people nearby. We established to track the vans, but we lost signal due to their radar-detecting devices. Everyone is extremely sorry, sir.”

Mr. Kang breathed through his nose, “That idiot thinks he can just take my only and eldest son! That dirty man is going to try and take my daughter too! There is no way he will do that, I simply refuse. He is going to pay!”

The agent had to bear through the loud shouts from Mr. Kang. Then Mr. Kang said, “Go find out more information! Now!” He scrambled out and Mr. Kang brought his head to his knees. Sunmi’s father groaned, “Why…”

A beep from the head guard came from his walkie-talkie.

“Sir, your wife has fainted. She heard about your son and she fell unconscious. Two of your daughter’s junior guards quickly alerted the emergency crew. Your wife is currently on the way to the hospital now.”

Great, even worse news. Mr. Kang sighed, “Thank you for alerting me of the information.”