First Day

You're in My Life

I woke up with a knock on my door. “Come in.” I said. A maid walked in and told me, “It is time to get ready for school, Miss!” I groaned. Right, school started today. I realized, I had dreamed of that guy again. Those fluffy cheeks and soft lips…

Three other maids came in and helped me get ready in my uniform. After that was done, I grabbed my ready backpack that was on the floor near the door. The maids escorted me to the dining hall for breakfast.

“Good morning, Sunmi.” My mother mumbled as she stared at her laptop. Of course, dad wasn’t here, again. At work like always. I don’t think we’re really considered family anymore. I wish I had my older brother with me, but he’s studying in the states.

“Good morning umma.” I stated with a bit of harshness in my voice, but she didn’t notice. I silently ate the much too fancy breakfast while sending her mean looks. Her eyes were still glued to the screen. I sighed for like the hundredth time.

I went into the limo that would take me to school. It wasn’t a very long drive, but I felt like hours had gone by. I just wanted to get school all over with.

The driver told me, “Have a wonderful day, Miss Sunmi.” I said, “Thank you. Have a great day also.” He nodded as I walked out. He also mentioned that he would pick me up after school also. I nodded and the driver went away.

I examined the school. It wasn’t too fancy, but it wasn’t poor either. More like in the middle. Hmm, it made a good first impression at least. I wonder what the other students would think of me, I bet as a rich snobby girl who came in the middle of November. I took a deep breath and went to the principal’s office.

I peeked through the door and I met the principal. He gave me my schedule and the directions. I nodded and bid him goodbye.

I looked around; there were students laughing and talking with each other. Of course, they were groups of kingkas, qeenkas, nerds, and other people.  

I studied my schedule and I had Language Arts first. I strolled into the classroom and there were a few people sitting in some of the chairs. Then, the bell rang.

I stood by the front white board so I could introduce myself when the teacher would come. Everyone was staring at me and I heard lots of whispers.

“Who is she? Who does she think she is?”

“I bet she’s a rich snob, that new kid…”

“I think she looks kind of pretty.” I blushed at that comment.

The teacher came in and smiled. “You must be the new student! You may introduce yourself.”

I gave a nod and announced, “Hello, my name is Kang Sunmi. Please treat me well.” The teacher put me in a seat in the front near the window. I didn’t like sitting in the front. Next to me, there was a shy looking girl who introduced herself too.

“Hi, I’m Kim Eunji.” She quietly spoke. I smiled and said, “Hi, nice to meet you!” Eunji’s eyes lit up and smiled back. She was the first friendly person I met.

The classes was pretty boring since I already knew everything from being home schooled. At lunch, I sat with Eunji at a lonely corner table. I wanted to eat my kimchi so bad.

I asked, “So Eunji, tell me about yourself.” Eunji shyly said, “Well, my family is pretty rich and my parents own a big restaurant. I sometimes go there after school to help them out and it’s actually pretty fun. I’m an only child and I lived in Korea all my life. What about you?”

I smiled again and said, “Hmm, My parents lived in Korea, but moved to the US when I was born. My family is rich too, but I don’t really like it…” Eunji nodded and motioned for me to continue.

“My dad is an inventor on cars and stuff. My mom is a singing and dance instructor. I have only one older brother who is still in the US for his studies and I really miss him. I only visited Korea once on a business trip for my father.” Eunji delightfully nodded and said, “I wish I took a trip to America. It must be fun.”

I murmured, “I guess so-“

Bang! There was a loud crash by the door entrance. A group of 5 boys came in, all with dyed hair. They walked as if they were the bosses. I could already tell that they were kingkas. All the girls had their eyes glued to them.

“Who are they?” I asked Eunji. Eunji said in a hushed voice, “That’s BAP. Oh wait, one of them is missing. There’s usually all 6 guys…” I whispered, “Who is it?” Eunji took a couple seconds before confirming, “It’s Youngjae. Yoo Youngjae. The other guys are Bang Yongguk the leader, Kim Himchan, Jung Daehyun, Moon Jongup, and Zelo. Yongguk’s dad is the principal.”

Oh, no wonder Yongguk looks like the principal I had met earlier.

Eunji added, “Oh, and even though they look like gangsters, they’re not. They’re actually really nice. Most of the time.” I smiled. Eunji mumbled, “Hmm, where is Youngjae? I never seen them without all six members…”

I shrugged, “Oh well, then.” Eunji nodded and as I was about to take another bite out of my kimchi, someone tapped my shoulder.

A deep voice said, “Hello. You must be the new girl my dad told me about. Can we sit here?” I looked at Eunji and she bobbed her head up and down really fast. I responded, “Sure!” They all sat down and the deep voice said, “I’m Bang Yongguk and this is BAP.” They all waved, aww, they’re so cute.

I waved back and said, “Hi! I’m Kang Sunmi! Nice to meet you~”

Suddenly, one of the guys went on one knee and kissed my hand. My eyes grew wide. He cooed, “Hey there Sunmi-ssi, my name is Himchan, but you can call me oppa.” He winked and stood up again. I froze, who was this guy?

The leader, Yongguk spoke, “Yah! Himchan! Don’t frighten her! Sorry about that Sunmi-ssi. He’s… trying to catch girl’s hearts…”

I said, “U-uh, okay. Thanks Yongguk-ssi.” And I wiped my kissed hand really hard on a napkin.

All of them laughed, even Eunji who became stunned when they came to our table. I giggled too. After the laughter, the other guys introduced themselves.

“Hi! I’m Jongup.” The shy one said. I said, “Hi Jongup! Wow, you have lots of muscles!” I whipped my hand up to my mouth. “Oops, sorry, never mind.” Everyone laughed again and Yongguk said, “Haha, you’re so funny. If only Youngjae was here. He would have liked you.”

I was curious about this Youngjae, “Who is Youngjae?” I asked. Yongguk answered, “He’s our friend. He’s not here because he had to go visit his grandparents yesterday who live far away. I think he should be coming back this afternoon.” I nodded and replied, “I can’t wait to meet him too then.” Yongguk made a gummy smile.

A tall boy piped, “Oh! Let’s finish introducing then! I am Zelo! I’m the maknae!” and he made an agyeo. I couldn’t help but squeal, “Aigoo! You are so cute!” Zelo smiled, “Thank you noona!” So, I guess he calls me noona now eh? That’s totally fine with me! This adorable child!

The fifth boy bowed and said, “Hello, my name is Daehyun.” Then Himchan loudly whispered, “And he likes food and Girl’s Generation MVs” Daehyun whacked Himchan in the head and exclaimed, “Shut up! The Girl’s Generation part is a lie! But I do like food. A lot.” Everyone laughed as Himchan rubbed his head, “Yah! Have respect for your hyungs!”

After it settled down, I said, “I really like you guys. You’re nice people.” They all smiled and Yongguk said, “Hey Sunmi-ah. Do you want to come hang out with us later?”

“Sure, but where? I don’t know Korea too well.” I admitted. Daehyun spoke up, “What about a café?” Everyone agreed. “Then it’s settled! We meet at the café near the freeway with the excellent muffins! Eunji, you can come too! And, if Youngjae is back by then, he can come too.” Himchan stated.

Then he said slyly, “I can’t wait to see you both there.” Yongguk whacked him in the head this time and said, “Yah! Stop being greasy!” We laughed again.

Then the bell rang. I looked at my schedule and I had dance next. Jonggup took a peek at my paper and said, “Noona, I have it next too, so if you want, I can show you the way. But it’s your choice…”

I smiled and said to him, “Of course Jongup! Thank you!” Jongup gave me a shy smile and led me to dance.