Part nine

Another man's baby

image

 

 

"WHERE ARE YOU?" The woman over the phone demanded.

"Wait, one second." I said as I tilted the tablet screen and rushed past the finish line. "OH!" I screamed in celebration. I stuck out my tongue at Joon as he sighed, he had to buy me another dinner this week. I placed the tablet down on the table and held onto the phone as I heard the lady yelling a jumbled mess into my ear.

"Wait! Before you continue yelling at me. Who are you?" I asked politely despite being yelled at.

"How irresponsible can you be? Your wife is in the hospital and you're out partying with your friends?" I looked at the screen, still completely puzzled. The number didn't look familiar, and I don't remember getting married or getting so drunk I couldn't remember I was married. 

"I'm sorry, who is this?" I repeated.

"Se-hyun, Kim Se-hyun. Jaejin's mom." She said each word as though she was choking me. I felt choked as I heard Jaejin's name. It has been two months since I'd seen her last. I hadn't bothered on checking up on her, not like she wanted me to. "Do you not care for her or your baby?" Jaejin's mom said.

"Sorry, I don't know if Jae has told you." I contemplated on if I should tell her mom or not,it was her business after all. But how could I do this to Jaejin? "I'll be there, which hospital." I said tapping Joon on the back and mouthing the word, "Bye" with Jaejin's mom still on the phone. He nodded to me continuing to play on the tablet. I put on my coat and rushed down the stairs to my car as Jaejin's mom told me the address.

I wasn't sure what I was going to do when I saw her. Should I just play along as though I'm still her husband? But what I really wondered was if she was okay. It slipped my mind to ask what happened, did she fall down the stairs? Was it because she was wearing heels again? All this wouldn't had happened if I was by her side. But she was the one to push me away after all, I was told to stay away.

I parked my car in the garage and walked toward the glowing building that stood out in it's dark surroundings. For a hospital, the place didn't look creepy as though it held millions of dead and hurt people, but a warm cafe with yummy drinks and a roaring fireplace. 

"Is there someone named Jaejin kim here?" I asked the young nurse standing behind the counter. She typed onto her computer Jaejin's name and looked up at me as she nodded.

"The left wing and she is room 201 in the maternity unit." I nodded at  the nurse and followed the signs toward her room. Though the walls were decorated with pastel pink and blues to represent babies and happiness, I couldn't help but feel nervous. She was only six months pregnant right now, being in the hospital at six months is not a good thing. 199 on the right, 200 on the left, and 201 on the right. I stood in front of the room, the door was wide open, and I could see her mother's back faced towards me. I knocked on the door as I took a step in. Her mother turned and glared at me. 

"Took you long enough." She mumbled getting up and patting Jaejin's hand. "I'll be outside." She said sweetly to Jaejin and glaring once more at me before she walked out the door.

I stared at Jaejin laying in the bed that seemed to engulf her. Her red hair was now dull and her black roots were growing out. Her face pale and expressionless. On the table beside her was a tray filled with untouched food and in her arm was a tube connecting her to the IV. I sat down on the chair beside the tray of food , careful to not look into her eyes. 

"You didn't tell your mom?" My words seemed loud as they echoed around the silent room.

"About what?" She replied.

"About me.. about us?" I said looking up at her. She stared straight ahead. 

"No." Her dry and crusty lips said.

"Is he taking care of you well?" I asked. She flinched and whipped her head towards me. Her eyes asking me how. "I saw you with him. You can't hide much in this tiny town." I said in my sarcastic tone. She sat there silently as if she was a statue. 

"What happened? Is the baby okay?" I said breaking the silence. 

"I just fainted, malnutrition."

"I told you, you have to eat more fish and fruits. You just have to eat in general, don't starve yourself." I looked over at the tray and grabbed the plate of mashed potatoes and chicken. "Eat this, if you don't want it, I'll buy you something else, but eat this first."

"Stop bossing me around!" She said raising her voice.

"You need someone to, if there was someone to boss you around you wouldn't be here in the first place. Where is your boyfriend? Why isn't he here?" I said as I scoffed at the words boyfriend.

"He isn't in town." 

"How could he leave a six months pregnant woman by herself? How could you? How could you say you couldn't accept my love then you go and accept someone else's?" 

"You never cared before, it was the same with George. You confessed and I told you no, then I met George." She said nonchalantly, as if my feelings meant nothing.

"That's my mistake. I let you go with him, I stayed silent, but this time. I won't let you, I will fight for you."

"I told you Byunghee, I don't love you. I won't."

"I'll wait until you do." I said simply. "I'll buy you food." I said getting up to leave.  

"Then you'll have to wait for a million years." She said as I walked out of the room. I smiled to myself, she was clearly challenging me.