Part three

Another man's baby

image

"One step closer to you~ OHHHH YOU!" I sang into the spatula as I waltzed around the kitchen. "BABYYY~" I sang along to the song on the radio and as I flipped the contents in the pan and spun around. "OW, burning, b-b-b-urning" 

"That was amusing." Jaejin said clapping. I dropped my spatula and scratched at my head embarrassingly. 

"I was just getting started." I said quietly. She chuckled at me and motioned for someone to come into the kitchen. 

"Byunghee oppa, this is my mom. Mom, this is my boyfriend Byunghee." My heart jumped and a smile spread onto my face when I heard her introduce me as her boyfriend. Her mother was a tiny petite little lady, her gray hair was cut short and didn't make her look old. 

"Umma." I bowed as I greeted her. I felt my cheeks turn red as I stood next to Jae.

"I see why you insisted on me meeting him in person." She said leaning against the frame of the door also laughing. "Good song choice, by the way." She said heading out of the kitchen. "When is dinner going to be done, son?" She said from the living room.

"Soon." I replied. 

"Go back in and help your husband." Jaejin's mother said to Jaejin. 

"Umma, we aren't married." She replied quickly. There was silence before they were back in the kitchen again.

"Byunghee, you're going to take responsibility for my daughter aren't you?" I was afraid to say no, she looked like she might beat me with the pan on the stove.

"Of course, I love her." I said looking over at Jaejin and smiled a reassuring smile over at her mother.

"I thought so." She said glaring at me as she left the kitchen again.

"Sorry about that." Jaejin said as she wandered into the kitchen and looked around for her spare apron .

"No, sit down." I said taking the apron from off the counter and out of her reach.

"I'm only four months pregnant, I can still cook." She said taking it out of my hands.

"I know, but I want to make the food myself. I want to impress her." I said tugging on the apron. She smiled back at me and released it.

--------------------------------------

"That was impressive cooking, for a man. Good choice you've made." She said to Jaejin as I beamed at her. 

"Have you guys gone for a check up yet?"  

"Yes." Jae answered.

"No." I answered. Her mother looked over at me and Jaejin glared at me. 

"What is going on here?" Her mother said frowning.

"No, umma. You have it all wrong. I don't let him go with me, don't want to ruin the surprise."

"What surprise? He has seen you before, why does it matter." 

"Umma!" Jae said hiding her face.

"What? Am I not right?" 

"You're right." I replied getting a good chuckle out of this.

"Exactly." She said arching her eyebrow.

"Umma! By surprise I mean't by the gender of the baby." Jae sighed.

"Oh, why didn't you just say so in the first place?" Her mom said. I got up and put the dishes in the sink. 

"Sorry." Jaejin said helping with dishes. 

"It's fine, she's funny." 

"I'm going~" Her mother shouted from the living room. We both rushed out of the kitchen and out the door to stop her. "Umma!" We both shouted at her. 

"She can be quite a handful." Jaejin said closing the door behind her. "You can leave the dishes and go home. Thanks for helping me out recently." She said turning toward the sink. 

"Jae-ah." I said turning her toward me. "Are you sure you don't want me to go with you to the doctor?"

 

 "I'm fine, oppa." She said turning back to the sink. 

"I know it's hard to go through this alone." I said turning her back toward me. 

"Thanks." She said with a slight smile and turned back to the dishes.

"Jae, stop turning away from me. Look at me." I said turning her toward me and holding her there. "I know this is a bad timing, but you know how I feel about you. I just wanted you to know I still feel the same way about you."

image

She looked down at the floor between us and sighed. I felt my heart drop as I looked at her. I was use to this sinking feeling. I was silent for years , as I waited for her to return my affection. 

"Oppa, just give up on me. I'm having a baby soon, I can't focus on love. I don't deserve your love anyway. Just the leave the door unlocked when you leave, I'll lock it later." 

"Why do you always do this? When someone who really loves you stands in front of you, you always tell them to leave. Then you clearly knew that the other guy was trouble but you still let him into your life." 

"It already doesn't have a father. I just want to be a good mother to this baby,it deserves that much."

"I want to help you. I want to be the shoulder you can lean on. I don't care if you feel the same way or not, I just want to be there for you."

She stood in front of me quietly and coldly turned back to the sink. "Just shut the door." She said as she the water. 

"Call me when you need me, Jaejin." I added as I started walking out of the kitchen and over to my shoes,leaving the door unlocked like she asked. I walked out into the cold midnight air and took a deep paralyzing breath. 

"She will come around eventually." A unidentified shadow said until I realized it was George, Jaejin's real boyfriend. 

"You rascal! How could you leave her pregnant like that and still appear here." I said grabbing onto his shirt. 

"She asked me to come over, buddy." He said  lightly pushing my hands off of him and smirking at me,walking pass me, and up the stairs to her apartment.