Part eleven

Another man's baby

http://youtubeonrepeat.com/watch/?v=AjlfZYhlITg

 

 

image

 

My worst fear had come true, I've always dreaded what I'd do without Jaejin. But now standing here by myself made me miss her even more. My heart started to race faster as I came closer, my fingers twitching with fear.

I looked up at the tower of diapers and all the numbers and letters just jumbled together. What is going on? I thought there was just one size for diapers? 

"Excuse me?" I asked an older woman that was cruising by with her cart. She turned around for a brief moment and looked at the tower of diapers in front of me. 

"First time?" She said chuckling as she abandoned her cart. "How old is your kid?" She asked as she looked into my cart. She looked at the baby clothes and shoes in the cart. "Two years old?" She said after looking at the items. 

"Uh.. my kid isn't even born yet." I said scratching the back of my head. She laughed loudly, holding onto the cart for support. "You won't need these clothes, it is too big. Newborns grow really quickly,but not that quickly." 

"Then what are all these numbers? Which one do I get my baby?" I asked trying to look through the numbers and letters again. 

"Sweetie, the ones that say newborn on them." She said handing me two packs. I looked at the pink package and searched for the price.

"$24.99? For only 76 diapers?! This is way too much, isn't there some cheaper ones?" I asked looking up and down the aisle for other diapers.

"In the long run these will be cheaper, trust me, I have five kids." She said putting the diapers into the cart. 

"Where is your wife? You shouldn't be here by yourself." She said walking away from me and to her cart. 

"She's somewhere in here." I said pushing my cart along with the woman. "Thanks for your help, you saved me a lot of lecturing." I said as I spotted Jaejin by the racks of snacks. 

"No problem, hope your baby is healthy!" She said turning in the opposite direction. I walked toward Jaejin showing off my cart, it was achievement that I even got the right diapers.

"Did you get the diapers?" She said stacking mounds of Oreo cookies into the cart. She picked up the package and read it, "Wow you found it. How much was it?" She said pulling a bag of gummy worms out of her purse. 

"Only $24.99 each." I said preparing myself for what is about to come.

"For each?!" 

"A woman said it would be good in the long run." I said defending myself. She glared at me and stuffed another innocent gummy worm into . 

"Jae-ah, you can't eat this junk food. Even if you could, you shouldn't be eating this much." I said stacking the Oreo's back on the shelf. 

"I need it!" She whined as she tried to stop me from putting anymore back. 

"Jae." I said firmly.

"No way!" She said not letting go of the package in my hand. We were in a deadlock. 

"Do you want yogurt later?" I said mesmerizing her with the thought of yogurt. I saw it in her eyes, I had found her true weakness. 

"Daw, fine." She said letting go of the Oreo box and walking ahead. I smiled triumphantly and push the cart as I followed her into the checkout line. I placed the items on the conveyor belt as my eyes caught onto another package of Oreo's hidden under the two packages of diapers. 

"You can't fool me." I said taking the package out and giving it to the cashier. "We don't need this." I said getting in between her and the cashier. I turned around to see her pouting face.

"Not even one?" She said sulking.

"Nope." 

"I'm waiting in the car." She said trudging away. I smirked to myself, she thought she was smart. I already cleaned out all the junk food from the car. 

"$82.79 is your total." The cashier said. I sighed taking out my wallet and taking out four twenty dollar bills and change. "Thank you, have a good day." The cashier said cheerfully.

"Have a good day my .. you just stole eighty bucks from me." I mumbled as I grabbed the bags and searched the packed parking lot for the green mini van. I had traded in my motorcycle for a van,because I knew we would need it in the next few months. Jaejin's tiny two door sedan wasn't going to be convenient.

"Oppa~ I'm hungry!" Jaejin said as she tugged on my arm.

"Alright,alright. We are going." I said as I smiled brightly at her cute tone of voice. "But." I said causing her to groan.

"Oh come on!" She said frowning.

"You can only get half a cup, then I'm dropping you off at home, I gotta go to work." I said as I turned into the parking lot and parked in front of the yogurt shop. We walked together into the shop, not bothering to stop and admire our surroundings, we just walked straight to the dispensers. I passed her a cup and gave her my warning look.

"I know, I know." She said rolling her eyes as she patted her stomach and said, "He is a meanie, isn't he?". I laughed at her as I followed the wall and read the flavors, I was an original tart fan and all they had was fruity flavors..this was Jaejin's heaven. I settled for the Pomegranate flavor with mango toppings. I wandered over to Jaejin to find her cup decked out in gummy worms and animal crackers.

"My hand slipped." She said innocently as she smiled up at me. I brushed her bangs out of her eyes and lead her over to the cash resister.

"Only this time." I said placing the yogurt cups on the scale and paying for it.

"It will be $9.40 please." The woman said from behind the counter. I took out my wallet to find that I only had a five dollar bill left.

"Jae, I don't have enough." I said turning to her, her wallet was already out and she was handing the cashier a ten dollar bill.

"I'm paying because I feel guilty for getting too much." She said guiltily glancing at me.

"Like you had a choice." I said brushing her bangs out of her face again. "Do you want change?" The cashier asked.

"No, it is fine." Jae said as she walked toward a table without a spoon. I smiled at her clueless actions.

"How far along is your wife?" The cashier asked as she put out new spoons. I didn't bother correcting her about Jaejin not being wife, I said, "She's about almost six months now."

"Wow, she still looks tiny." The cashier said excusing herself to ring up a customer. I walk over to Jae and hand her a spoon.

"Were you going to eat with your hands?" I said teasing her.

"No.. by it." She said showing me how she was eating it without a spoon. I petted her head and held the door for her as we headed toward my car.

 "Ah." I said sticking out my tongue, as I waited for her to feed me a spoon of yogurt. "Wait, put some more mango on it." 

"Stop being picky!" She whined as she stuffed a huge chunk of yogurt into my mouth. I gave her my sarcastic toothless smile, showing her that I appreciated the fact that she just gave me a brain freeze. We silently unbuckled our seat belts when I parked the car. I headed toward the trunk to carry out the bag of diapers. "Go upstairs, you don't need to help me." I said to Jaejin as she waited for me to hand her a bag to carry. She rolled her eyes at me and walked up the stairs and unlocked the door.

"Bye." I said leaving the bags at the door as I checked my watch for the time.

"Wait!" She said rushing toward the door. "Are you coming back after work?"

I stared at her, confused. She never cared before, I just came and left as I pleased. "No, I gotta go home and water my plants, they are dying." I said talking one step toward the stairs.

"Byunghee, how about you just move your plants over here." She said glancing down at my shoes.

"Why?" I asked

"Don't you get what I'm trying to say?" She said stomping her feet and sending her red hair flying around her face.

"No.." I said afraid to answer her.

"Move in!" She shouted placing her hands on her hips. I glanced at her to see if she was serious.

"Did you eat too many gummy worms?" I said walking toward her to place the back of my hand on her forehead.

"No! Do you want to or not?!" She said slapping my hand away. She was getting mad, I could tell she wasn't joking.

"I do, but, are you sure?" I said raising my eyebrow.

"UGH! Forget it!" She said closing the door. I jammed my foot in the doorway and smiled at her. "I'll be back with my things tonight."