Part twelve

Another man's baby
 

"Hurry up, the appointment is at eleven!" I shouted from the kitchen as I grabbed the keys off the kitchen counter. 

"I know! I know." She said , her voice echoed from down the hallway. She sprinted out into the living room and plopped herself onto the couch putting on her black leather boots. 

"Jae." I said glaring at her from across the room. She smiled innocently up at me as she tried to reach for her feet. She patted her stomach and talked to it. 

"Sweetie, mommy has to put on her shoes, could you move for a little bit?" She tried to reach around her stomach again. I walked into her room and picked up a pair of pink boots that had grips on the soles. It was snowing outside, and I did not want her slipping. 

"No way, those are a no with this outfit." She said when she saw me coming out with the pink boots in hand. 

"It's snowing." I said calmly as I kneeled down by her side and slipped on the shoe. She kicked me and stuck out her tongue. 

"You're annoying." She said crossing her arms and resting it on her stomach. 

"You asked me to move in, so it's your fault." I said zipping up the boots and wrapping a jacket around her shoulders. I walked over to the dinning table where I left my keys and walked back over to the couch where Jaejin was. 

"What are you doing?" She said eyeing the keys.

"Driving you?" I said.

"Why?"

"You didn't let me go to the other checkups, I wanna find out the gender of the baby already." I said tip toeing towards the door.

"No way, you're annoying. You ask too many questions." She said grabbing her purse and the keys in my hand.

"I can't let you drive in the snow by yourself, what if something happens?" I said as I pouted.

"Don't do that, you're hideous." She said walking out of the apartment. I followed her and locked the door on my way out.

"You can insult me all you want, as long as I get to come along." I said following her down the stairs. 

"UGH, why must you be so annoying." She stopping on the first step, and frowned at me. She sighed as I continued to pout. " You can sit in the waiting room." She said rolling her eyes and continued walking down the stairs.

 

image

I smirked to myself, hehe I win again

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Are you nervous?" She asked flipping through the issue of Parental magazine. 

"A little." I said picking at my nails.

"Wouldn't this be cute for the room?" Jae said pointing at the night light in the shape of a flower. 

"Yeah, if it's a girl." I said looking over her shoulder at the picture of the light. 

"If it's a boy I want to paint the room blue." She said as she continued to flip through the pages. 

"Jaejin Kim." The nurse called out. Jae stood up and followed the nurse. I sat in my uncomfortable waiting chair, surrounded by pregnant women. I spotted the nurse as she returned to her desk. 

"Excuse me, miss. My wife was the one that just went in, would it be okay if I go in with her? I just want to see the gender of the baby, and she won't let me." I said pleading my case to nurse. The nurse smiled and disappeared behind the wall for a quick second before the white door opened and she peaked her head around the corner. I followed her down the same familiar hallway, still white and plain.

"This one." She pointed to the door and smiled, "Good luck." She said before leaving. I thanked her and prepared myself, I knew she would scream at me for breaking my promise, but I really wanted to find out the gender. I felt like such a proud parent, as if I was really the dad of this precious unborn baby. 

"I understand it is your choice if you want to abort the baby." I heard the doctor saying in hush tones. Jaejin was sobbing, I could hear her sniffling and blowing her nose into a tissue. I couldn't move any part of my body, my mind was paralyzed. Why would she get rid of such a beautiful innocent child? She loved the baby, so did I, why? Why would she do such a thing. 

"Jae-ah!" I shouted slamming the door open and grabbing onto her hands. "If you're worried that you can't take care of the baby by yourself, I'll help you. You don't have to do this." I rubbed my thumb across her cheek as tears kept sliding down her cheeks. She said nothing, the doctor didn't say anything either, we just sat there staring at her. "Jae." I said when her tears had dried up. 

"I have to abort the baby." She said firmly. My eyes widen as I kneeled down by her. 

"Why? Cause you don't have enough money? Because you think you'll be a bad mom?" I couldn't stop my own tears from falling as I looked into her eyes.

"Shut up,Byunghee. You talk too much! I have Huntington's disease. I can't bring this baby into the world knowing it will suffer." Tears started to fall, my mind started racing and all I wanted was answers. I looked to the doctor who sat there with her hands in her lap.

"Doctor? Is it true? What is it? Can we cure it? I don't care how much it is, can we cure her?" I said , my tears uncontrollable at this point.

"I'm not an expert. but it's incurable, chances of surviving are quite slim. Jaejin has tested positive for Huntington and her has dad past away previously from it. More than likely this baby will have the disease too." 

How could this happen? Jaejin didn't look sick, she looks like a normal person. Why did this happen to her? She doesn't deserve this? Her baby doesn't deserve this? It didn't even get a chance to live yet, and now we are sentencing it to death? 

"No. We are not going to get an abortion." I said looking over at Jaejin. I wiped my tears and looked in her eyes, determined to show her I won't give up without a fight.

"It's my baby, I can do what I want. I will suffer alone, and I will not let him suffer too." 

"It's my baby too, and if you suffer, I want to suffer with you. This is our baby, no matter what, I will do whatever I can to save you and this baby." 

"You're not god or some almighty force, you can't cure me!" She said standing up.. 

"Please. Don't do this. Please." I said getting onto my knees holding onto her legs. 

"Stop." She demanded. "Stop it!" She said moving away from me. 

"I think you guys should go home and talk about this." The doctor said as she nervously glanced at the door. 

"Come on." I said grabbing her hand. She slapped my hand away and marched out of the office. I turned around and bowed,  "Sorry." I said grabbing Jaejin's purse. "What exactly will happen to Jaejin?" 

"She needs to see a specialist about this, all I know is that this disease deteriorates both mentally and physically." She said grabbing onto the thick manila folder and headed out the door also. I followed her out to the waiting room to find Jaejin sitting in a chair flipping through a Parental magazine, as if she did not just find out some life changing news.