viii

Yours. Mine.

 

“Unni, could you pass the milk?”

“Neh.”

The days passed slowly and unspectacularly. The rain persisted, marking everything with a dreary tinge of gray, and it only strengthened the persistent illusion that each day was exactly like the last and everything had returned to normal. Even Sulli and Omma had broken their silence with me, though the air was still thick with accusation.

I could almost pretend that hideous dinner meeting never happened.

Almost.

“Well, I’m off to work. See ya, Sulli.”

“Yup.”

As I made my way to town, I necessarily past by that wide field where my barn used to be. I forced myself not to look at it, choosing instead to take a new vested interest in my wristwatch or my fingernails. But it was no use. My peripherals had a heightened awareness for any sign of movement, and time seemed to slow as I made my way past the house.

But I didn't see anything.

Once in town, I decided to grab a cup of coffee before work. I can’t tell if it was by accident or on purpose, but I ended up at a coffeshop directly across the street from the supermarket. I was reminded of my last visit there, and wondered vaguely if the small pen with frogs on it was still in stock.

I had to push away the urge to go inside and see.

I placed my usual order at the café, and tried not to feel self-conscious as I let my eyes sweep over the other patrons in store. I don’t really know what I expected to find. But whatever it was, it wasn’t there...

 

Work seemed off to a normal and uneventful start. I begrudgingly set my things down on my desk and my computer, when the boss came over.

“Hey, Choa!” he said, aiming for a Monday-morning peppiness that simply refused to match his usual ultra-cool expression. “How’s everything going?”

“Hey, Myungsoo. Everything’s… fine,” I said, trying not to be obvious. “That blazer looks nice on you.”

“Thanks,” he smiled. “Listen, I’m about to call a staff meeting. Head over to the conference room in a bit, will ya?”

“Sure thing.”

After a few moments, I picked up my coffee and made my way there. Some other staff members were already present, scattered around the long table. I spotted my desk neighbor, Sungjong, and took the seat next to him. Immediately, his large eyes perked up, and he began to engage me in an animated dialogue about his weekend that I only half-listened to. Something about going on a date with some guy, and seeing a band perform at a brewery one town over.

Once everyone had gathered, the boss assumed his spot at the front of the room with a proud smirk.

“Alright everyone. Settle down,” he started.

Sungjong finished his story and I smiled and said something to the effect of “Very cool.” Then, I trained my eyes on Myungsoo, though my mind began its usual mid-meeting wander.

“I’m calling this meeting to announce some good news,” Myungsoo said, still smiling broadly. “As many of you know, work has been difficult since Seunghyun went on military leave…”

A few heads nodded around the table. Meanwhile, I tried to figure out why I was so damn self-conscious today in the coffeeshop. The memory of it nagged at me.

“…But those long days are no longer! I have found a new person to take his spot. Let me introduce you to our newest staff member, Howon!”

Myungsoo motioned towards a man I hadn’t noticed, seated near the front of the room. On hearing his name, he eagerly stood up. The boss made a show of clapping, and the other staff members joined in obligatorily. At the applause, the man’s face lit up into a broad smile, but only momentarily. He then resumed a more serious expression.

“Annyeong-haseyo,” he said, bowing low. “My name is Howon…”

He continued with his introduction. I set my eyes on him, but found my mind drift once more. This time, I recalled sitting beneath the eaves of the old barn, chilled but content as I watched the drizzle fall onto the tall brown grass.

What I wouldn’t give to get that moment back, I thought.

I was so consumed in my own thoughts that I barely registered a voice break my reverie. “He’s cute,” Sungjong said, leaning in close. I kind of nodded dismissively, wishing for a moment that Sungjong would just let me be while I spaced out. The smell of rain on earth still lingered in my nose.

Finally, the new guy wrapped up his intro. Staff began their round of applause, and he bowed deep and took one more look around the table. I finally broke from my thoughts and half-heartedly joined in the clapping.

Then, his eyes met mine, and for the briefest moment, I could have sworn his lips twitched up into a smile.

But I was still so distracted that I looked away from him, forgetting to smile back. In my mind, I was only thinking about whether or not I should go to the grocery store after work. Other than that frog pen, I’m sure there’s something that I needed to buy.

 

***

 

“Uh… hey. Sulli.”

“Neh.”

“What are you doing later…?”

“Probably going out with Woohyun. Waeyo?”

“Um… what do you say if… I treated you both out to ice cream?”

Sulli threw me a suspicious frown. “Why?”

“Do I need a reason to treat my kid sister??” I said, frowning back. “I just… I guess I just want to treat both of you. Just… just because…”

Sulli continued to frown at me. I could read it all in her gaze—it’s not like one trip to the ice cream parlor was going to fix the mess I caused with the dinner. And I knew that.

But I figured that this small gesture was a step in the right direction. A good way for me to show that I was sorry to the couple. And show to Woohyun my true stripes as a caring and supportive older sister.

Sulli seemed to think so too. Slowly, she nodded, though she maintained her hard expression. Then, she stood up and walked down the hall, where I could hear her dial Woohyun and share with him the plan.

I gave a small sigh. Then, I swore to myself that I would make a greater effort towards Sulli and Woohyun. I desperately needed to atone for my previous bad behavior. I didn't want to be the monster any more. I wanted to be the good Unni that my sister deserved.

It was time I turned over a new leaf.

 

---

 

 

Filler chapter. But also... AHEM AHEM new characters!!

 

I like to imagine Myungsoo as a leader in his own way. A cool leader. And I love picturing him in officewear... button-up shirt and tie mmmmmm *swoon*