iv

Yours. Mine.

 

“Unni! How do I look??”

It was the night of the big first date, and Sulli looked amazing. I made a show about admiring her outfit and her hair, and watched as she got in the car and drove off. Alone again, I couldn’t help but look down and scan my own attire. Black camisole, grey sweatpants. I found myself wishing that I had someone to get dressed up for. And then I forced myself back in the house and tried to busy myself with different chores.

Umma was working late as usual, and I found myself absolutely unable to sit still. My mind kept wandering to Sulli and this mystery person, to my own nonexistent love life, and weirdly, to the old barn that once stood. I wished so desperately that I was able to walk to that barn now. To sit on its dusty ground and watch the golden grass brown as the evening turned to night.

But I couldn’t walk there. Some idiot built his house there. So instead, I decided to make for town.

For absolutely no reason at all, I found myself at the supermarket where Sulli said she met her date. I didn’t need anything, but I decided to head inside and walk around. I picked out a few things—a candy bar, a bowl of ramyun, and a completely unnecessary little pen with frogs on it. There was hardly anyone at the store. I saw an abandoned cart in the middle of one aisle, and considered taking it. But then I decided against it. That was Sulli’s story, not mine.

I was lost in thought again when I put my items on the conveyor belt of the check-out line. It took a full minute to realize that the person just ahead of me had turned to look at me.

I nearly jumped in surprise. It was that guy with the house. Who tore down my barn, and shooed me off a public path.

“Yah,” he called my attention rudely. I frowned, remembering that I didn’t much like him. “What are you, following me?”

“Mwo?! Don’t flatter yourself. I’m just getting some groceries,” I said in my most spiteful tone. But at that, he took a look at what I was about to buy, and the judgment was apparent on his face. Unwarranted, the blood rushed to my cheeks in embarrassment.

“That’s all you’re getting?”

“Yeah. What’s it to you?”

“Pfft. Nothing. It just seems like a waste to come to the grocery store, only to get those things.”

“I’m hungry, and I just want some ramyun and candy.”

“Well, what’s with the frog pen then?” he asked, reaching to pick it up. I was overcome with disbelief at his nerve. I must have scoffed openly. Then, without thinking, my hand reflexively shot out and lightly slapped his hand away.

“Omo!” he said, caught off guard. “Yah!--”

“Leave it alone. I won’t touch your things. So don’t touch mine.”

I could hardly believe my fierceness. I stared him down, and he mirrored me. Normally, I’m very easy-going and generally accepting of different people. But somehow, I just couldn’t stand this guy a moment longer. It’s as if he used up every iota of my patience. I wanted nothing more than for him to leave me alone. To never talk to me with that sarcastic tone again.

Which is why his next comment completely caught me off guard.

“I got some ramyun too. Let’s sit at the tables outside and eat together.”

“What?! No!”

“Why not?”

“Because I don’t know you and I don’t like you!!” I blurted out.

“How could you dislike me, if you don’t even know me?” His eyebrow cocked in taunt.

“Because…because you’re awful!”

I realized that the check-out lady had stopped ringing up his groceries and was watching us with utmost interest. I could feel the guy behind me in line also watching. But I didn’t even care. And apparently, neither did he.

“Look. Don’t take this the wrong way,” he said. “I’m not even remotely interested, so there is no way this is a date. C’mon. Let’s just be two people who eat ramyun together.

“No way!--”

But then, this bold, awful person reached over, took my groceries, and handed them to the check-out lady. “Here. I’ll pay for this too,” he said.

It took me a long moment to recover from shock. And then, out of nowhere, I felt the sudden urge to reach over the counter and snatch my things out of the lady’s hands. And that’s exactly what I started to do.

“Yah! Wait!…”

But the lady had just finished ringing them up, and knowing this, she looked up to give me a sassy don’t-you-dare-ask-me-to-undo-this look. I retracted my hands, feeling foolish, and not really knowing what else to do.

“C’mon,” the guy said, motioning for me to step back. “Let me get this. Then we’ll eat. Chincha, it’s not that hard.”

I turned to wield my furious gaze onto him. I couldn’t believe there were people on this Earth who could be like this. So bold, so abrasive, so domineering and demeaning. And beyond that, I couldn’t believe that I was actually standing here, letting it happen!

So I pushed past him out of the line, not caring about what he or the check-out lady or anyone else thought. I can’t remember if he called out to me, or if I yelled back, “What the hell did I say about touching my stuff!!”  That whole moment was a blur because I was so angry, and all I wanted to do was leave that stupid grocery store, get into my car, and drive away.

When I got home, I felt foolish and swindled for not having any of the things I wanted. And I had a newfound hatred for that dumb, aggressive guy who tore down my old barn, forced me off a public path, and had the nerve to tell me to eat with him.

Some people are beyond rude.

--

 

I wanted to wait to update again because not much else is pre-written. But I'm feeling energized and happy and Man In Love is stuck in my head and dammit I just want to give you all more of the story ^.^

 

Also, this chapter is dedicated to my friend intothewild :)   Thanks for your support-- your words also recharged me 300% and made me feel super hopeful. Good luck on finals! You can do it! Fighting!!