xiii

Yours. Mine.

 

“So anyways, there I was, just sitting at the coffeeshop, trying to answer emails or call my guy back or God knows what I was trying to do, and then I look up and I see Myungsoo! And it wasn’t at all weird, since, you know, he is our boss and all. But then the more I stared at him, the more I realized that his outfit was completely unacceptable! I mean, who wears black on black anymore?? So he catches my eye and I wave him over, and I say, ‘Boss, look, you’re in a band now… you should know better!’ and then he plays dumb and says, ‘Know better about what?’ and Choa, you know what I said to him? I said… I said… oh my gosh.”

I was only half-listening again, eyes trained on some paperwork like the good worker I should be. Sungjong was merrily prattling on in the middle of our workday like usual.

“Oh my gosh what?”

“…”

“Sungjong. Oh my gosh what?”

“Oh my gosh, Choa,” he finally responded through gritted teeth. “Look who came to visit.”

I finally tore my eyes from my work, and looked up into the warmest chocolate-brown eyes I’ve ever seen. Howon was casually leaning against my desk, grinning down at me.

“Hi,” he said.

“H…hey.”

There was a fraction of a pause. Sungjong turned back to his desk, but I could tell his ears were listening hard, zeroed in on our conversation.

“Uh…What’s up?” I asked.

He chuckled and playfully leaned in to peek over my shoulder at the things I was working on. “What’re you reading?” he said, cutely feigning interest.

I pushed him away gently. “Yeah, right. Is that the real reason you came all the way over here?” I joked.

“Maybe,” he replied coolly.

“Well, sorry to disappoint you. It’s boring.”

“So?”

“So why would you want me to tell you about something that’s boring?”

“Maybe because I want to hear all about you. Even the boring stuff.”

The comment stunned me. I really didn’t know how to react. I could imagine Sungjong’s raised eyebrow, no doubt forming some very colorful opinions about Howon as we spoke.

Howon grinned widely, proud of himself. Then, he toyed with the corner of the desk, suddenly looking bashful. “So… I wanted to ask you something.”

“S-sure. What is it?”

He met my eye and smiled again. The glowing sincerity of it made my cheeks warm up, but luckily, they were not yet red enough to betray me. “What if you came to my dance class this Wednesday night?”

I heard a quick intake of breath in Sungjong’s general direction. I gulped. “This…Wednesday?” I began to think. “Hm--”

“Oh, actually… Now that I think about it, my parents are taking me to some dinner,” he said off-handedly, with a slight tinge of annoyance. “How about Thursday?”

“Thursday?... That might work,” I tried to say coolly. I didn’t want him to realize how much I looked forward to it.

But as if he could read my mind, he grinned widely again and pushed off my desk with a smooth athletic grace. “Great. Can’t wait,” he said, and strutted off.

It wasn’t until he was out of earshot that I released a huge sigh of air I’d unconsciously been holding in. Immediately, Sungjong reached over and grabbed me by the wrist, spinning my chair so that I faced him.

“YAH. Choa. WILL YOU TELL ME WHAT’S GOING ON??”

The forceful demand in Sungjong’s eyes was so intense that I couldn’t help but chuckle. I knew he wasn’t about to let me go without sharing my story. But I also knew he wouldn’t like my ultimate opinion of it all.

What’s going on?

...I don’t know.

I really don’t know.

--

 

Shortie chapter, but only cuz the next one is prettttyy long and I don't know how to split it up evenly. Updating right away, so please look forward to it! XD