xii

Yours. Mine.

 

Why I was standing at Sunggyu’s door was beyond me.

I had sat, thinking, behind that dense bush in the underbrush for a long while. When he passed by a second time on his way back home, I waited for a moment longer. And then, I followed him.

From a distance and completely unbeknownst to him, I watched as he disappeared into his house. Then, I let ten minutes go by. I didn’t see any movement.

So I approached.

NOW what the hell am I doing?? I thought. That smaller part of me threw up her hands in defeat and sat sulking in the corner, while I mechanically raised my hand to the wooden door and took a deep breath…

The knock reverberated through the house. For a moment, I hoped that he was taking a shower or something and wouldn’t hear me.

But then, I heard his approaching footsteps and watched as the door drew open. And suddenly, I was face to face with none other than Sunggyu himself.

I froze. He kind of took a step back, obviously surprised too. For a small moment, we just stared at each other in disbelief. I swallowed drily and I swore it was loud enough that he could hear it. Then, finally, he moved first.

And shut the door right in my face.

I was stunned. That… JERK!, I thought. Then I began knocking on the door again.

“Yah! Sunggyu!” I called. “Please! I have… something I want to say.”

I waited for a few seconds, but the house was still. Was he really not going to open up??

“Sunggyu!” I tried again, hammering loudly on the door. “Ayy chincha… C’mon! I have something I want to tell you! I’m just… I’m sorry! Please! Stop being like this! Just give me a moment--”

I pressed my ear against the wood. I couldn’t hear anything.

“Dammit!” I cursed. My worst fear was confirmed. How the hell am I supposed to apologize if the jerk won’t even let me speak??

Just then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw movement. Sunggyu had emerged from a side door, and was walking with determination away from me, back out onto the trail.

“Sunggyu!” I called. “Wait!”

“I don’t want to,” he said without turning back. I frowned at him as he stomped away, and then I cursed under my breath and rushed after him.

“Sunggyu! Stop for a moment!”

“What. Finally ready to talk to the ?” He quickened his pace, so I had to break into a jog to catch up.

“Ayy chincha…Please! It’ll only take a second.”

“No thanks.”

“Chebal! I have something I want to say!”

“I think you’ve said enough. In fact, I don’t think I ever want to listen to your words again.”

I halted on the trail, wounded by his harshness. On hearing me stop, he slowed too, until he stood just a few meters in front of me. He hung his head and shook it, back still turned to me.

“Chincha… Fine,” he said just loud enough that I could hear. “What do you want to say.”

“I’m… Sunggyu, I’m really, really…” I took a deep breath. “I’m sorry.”

The most uncomfortable seconds of my life ticked by. I waited with held breath for his reaction. He still didn’t turn towards me, but shifted his weight carefully from one foot to another.

“…Alright,” he finally said. Then, without another word, he continued walking down the path.

I stared at him in disbelief. ‘Alright’??, I thought. That’s it?? Somehow, it wasn’t enough for me. I didn’t at all feel the closure I had expected to find.

So I ran after him again.

“Sunggyu!”

“Sheesh! What is it now?!”

“Sunggyu, I really am sorry!”

“You said that already! What more do you want?”

I scoffed. “Can I get just a little more sincerity from you?? Chincha, you’re like a robot! So callous to any human emotion…” I caught myself insulting him again, so I clasped a hand over my stupid mouth to shut it up, but it was already too late.

“Oh, so now we’re back to this, hm? First I’m a monster, then I’m an , and now I’m a freaking robot??” He gave a sarcastic chuckle. “Looks like there’s no pleasing you, Miss Choa.”

I frowned. “Look, I’m sorry, okay? There’s just something about you… I’m usually not like this at all. Normally, when I get insulted, I spend hours afterward trying to think of the perfect comeback. But by then, the moment is gone! But when I’m with you…” I shrugged. “I don’t know. The venom comes out readily.”

Sunggyu finally stopped walking and turned to me. When he met my eye, the emotion that I found there was so unexpected, that I involuntarily flinched. He sighed deeply.

“Choa. Is that really something I deserve?” he said softly.

My heart fell a little in sympathy for him. But then that mean, vulgar, hateful voice within me took control of my mouth. “Well, to be fair, you started it…”

His eyes narrowed. Then, he began plowing forward once more, and without thinking about it, I hobbled after him. He didn't shoo me away, and I took that as a good sign that I was more or less forgiven.

So we walked the trail together, our noisy bickering filling the air of the still forest around us.

“I suppose that guy at the restaurant doesn’t get to see this lovely side of you either, does he?” he asked.

 “Yah. What the hell do you care what he thinks?”

“I’m just saying, you probably show him the best side of you. And he probably eats it up like candy.”

I frowned hard and growled. “Sunggyu. You leave him out of this. What’s going on between us… it’s none of your business.”

“What is going on between you two?”

“I don’t know yet. And if I did, you’re not the first person I would tell.”

He shot me a look. “Well, be careful, Choa. Men are wolves.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Don’t think I didn’t see the short skirt you were wearing yesterday.”

“YAH. SUNGGYU--”

“If you go around wearing stuff like that, men will get the wrong message.” He frowned. “I saw the way he was looking at you. Unless… you want to send that kind of message--”

At that, I smacked his arm really hard.

“Yah! That hurts!--”

“I’m not that kind of girl,” I snarled. “Don’t even think of me like that.”

He glanced at me from the corner of my eye, and I shot him my best death stare. “Ok fine…” he finally said, massaging where I had hit him. “I’m just saying that you should watch what you wear.” He shook his head slightly. “Men are wolves.”

“Not that one. He’s nice.”

“Hmph,” he said, the skepticism evident in his tone. I rolled my eyes.

“Sunggyu-shi. I really, really hate you.”

He smirked. “My dear Choa. Please only tell me things I don’t already know.”

--

 

Merp. Hope that filled your Sunggyu fix. On a side note, I went for a walk and was thinking about this story and I got hella lost and I was like "Sunggyu! Save mehhhhhhhh" haha.

 

Happy weekend, everybody :)